Hi - I'm headed to Japan next week, and while there am spending 4 nights in Niseko. I heard about the takkyubin services and have a couple questions:

1) Our flight arrives at Haneda airport at 10:20pm, and their office there closes at 11pm. Obviously this will be very tight - I would guess that we wouldn't make it there by 11. Is there any chance they would stay open for us knowing that we are on the 10:20pm flight? If not, would the only thing be to carry the skis into Tokyo and bring them to an office the next day?

2) Time shouldn't be a problem on the way to Niseko, because we arrive in Tokyo on Feb. 9th and don't arrive in Niseko until the 13th, but on the way back, we plan to ski on Friday the 17th, fly from Sapporo to Tokyo on the 18th, and then fly home out of Haneda on the night of the 19th. Would our skis get there on time? Obviously it would be a disaster if our skis weren't there when our flight left. Can they be picked up in Niseko early evening on a Friday night?

3) Somewhat related - if it turns out that we can't use takkyubin for either the reasons above, does anyone know if JAL will accept ski equipment? I read that sometimes they will not allow ski equipment on their domestic flights. If so, would there be any additional charge for this?

Thank you!

The general rule of thumb is that if you send it before lunch time it'll be there the next day. After lunch and it may or may not make it by the next day. You can also specify when you want it delivered so they'll tell you if the time line you want is possible or not. As I mentioned in another thread there are sometimes slight delays (half day - one full day) when you are sending bags to and from airports.

If you take it into Tokyo, your hotel should be able to sort it for you the next day. Time frame is as BM says in general, but I would check with them to be sure, if you have a time constraint. AFAIK JAL allow ski equipment on....I'm sure it was JAL I used and I took my board.......I only had the 1 bag tho and all my other clothes went into my board bag

Have flown to Hokkaido 2x now with JAL and 25Kg board bag without any issues but your timing looks to be fine. As TB said they can pick your stuff from your hotel if you miss the airport office.

If your hotel is picking you up I'd just go sraight there and deal with it in the morn so there is no stress.

Generally you the advice we have been given by Takkyubin when sending gear for our client is if you want it delivered to an airport you need to send it 2 days before the flight, anywhere else is overnight.

In your case you would need to send it on the 17th to get to Haneda on the 19th. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone. Has anyone used JAL ABC? I ask because their counter is in the international terminal at Haneda (I think Yamato is in the domestic terminals), but more importantly it looks like they are open 24 hours.

1. There's no problem at all taking skis/boards on JAL domestic flights

2. JAL's ABC service is excellent

3. Suggest you either rent on the final day, or bring your gear back on the plane to Tokyo. Gear won't go out on friday night, and saturday a.m. to assure arrival by sunday afternoon is cutting it too close.