The general 'Japan earthquake' topic

I see that radiation levels are steadily rising in various parts of Japan, including Yamanakako here in Yamanashi, close to Fujisan!

Otsuki also in Yamanashi, have really shot up!

So far Kofu is ok, and where we will be moving to is fine, but with radiation still leaking from the plant, don't really expect it will get better anytime soon.

Say what? They have been steadily dropping as far as I know, at least in north Kanto and south Tohoku. If levels are rising near you, I doubt it is due to the power plant.

But a quick web search does not reveal any elevated levels in Otsuki or Yamanakako...

Do you have a source for that? (You can PM me if it is a link.)

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muika, he is apparently going for 10 days. He is not the most communicative so all she knows is 10 days, 7 with a family in Shizuoka and 3 in Tokyo. He is not organized in the slightest, so I ran he

My instinct for big earthquakes pre-training   Stand around Shit my pants Phew   After Pick up son and grab wife Get earthquake kit Dive under table Shit my pants

That would indeed be a sickner

Can you explain 1 a bit more Metabo?

what is SPEEDI?

SPEEDI is a computer program that takes wind direction and speed data and is supposed to be used to estimate the spread of radiation from nuclear power plant accidents, for use in emergency planning. In the event, the results were not used or released until way after they would have been useful in planning evacuation routes.

What did we find out in the end was the damage from the earthquake btw?

Still not well known, but suspicion has been cast on the piping for the emergency cooling system of Reactor 1, and that for the pressure relief system for Reactor 2, at least.

They really need to implement on of my 'dome' proposals.

Perhaps also for Mount Fuji. It would be a spectacularly large dome but just imagine the sight if it came up in two halves from under the ground like some of the equipment those Interenational Rescue folk use as documented in 'Thunderbirds'.

One worry with something so huge, of course, would be the speed in which it would be implemented.

It does have the virtue of simplicity, though.

So often the simple, common-sense solution gets overlooked in favor of flashier, more complicated methods.

Keep the faith, pie, your day of recognition will come.

I see that radiation levels are steadily rising in various parts of Japan, including Yamanakako here in Yamanashi, close to Fujisan!

Otsuki also in Yamanashi, have really shot up!

So far Kofu is ok, and where we will be moving to is fine, but with radiation still leaking from the plant, don't really expect it will get better anytime soon.

Say what? They have been steadily dropping as far as I know, at least in north Kanto and south Tohoku. If levels are rising near you, I doubt it is due to the power plant.

But a quick web search does not reveal any elevated levels in Otsuki or Yamanakako...

Do you have a source for that? (You can PM me if it is a link.)

It was in the Yamanashi Nichi Nichi shinbun.

The ward office have been taking local measurements and soil samples which were sent off for testing and came back with higher readings than last year.

Air radiation has also increased in the areas I mentioned above according to the results published in the Nichi Nichi shinbun.

Do you remember the numbers? I don't see any mention in the online edition of the Yamanashi Nichi Nichi Shinbun, or on the town home pages of Otsuki or Yamanakako. (See some measurements from 2011, and some recent school lunch measurements -- nothing out of the ordinary -- but that is it.)

In any case, since areas closer to the power plant than Yamanashi show steadily decreasing radiation levels (and have for two years now), I don't think the plant would be a likely source of new contamination in Otsuki or Yamanakako.

Was just having lunch and turned on the tv.

The programme was doing a spot on the "strange things" going on around Shizuoka up to the border with Nagano of late.

Whales on the beech, lots of fish dying, strangely high levels of alkaline in the river, that recent landslide etc.

No-one seemed to be saying all these things are linked, but the question was there.

Is this all a precursor to a giant quake, was what they were asking.

So suppose the media aren't scared about talking about things like that. Makes for 'exciting' viewing I suppose.

三宅島の地震の後にテレビで、その前に浜名湖のスロースリップがあり三宅島の辺りでの大きな地震がきたので、このあと浜名湖でスロースリップがあると昔の大きな地震(すいません、名前を忘れました)の時と同じ動きになると言っていました。

Apparently it's the "slow slip" (?) that is a concern.

Isn't growing alkalinity of rivers in and around a volcano a sign of magma movement underground? Release of volcanic gases through the river bed and Into the river etc

Yeah that is a benefit. I don't mind when it's snowy, that's mainly why I moved here.....but the non-winter cold is shit. If its sunny n cold....much better but it's been like moving to Scotland again....grey, cold drizzle. The past few days have been nice tho

:lol:

"Mr Sunday" had a bit on Fuji eruptions and different evacuation plans. They keep on mentioning it.

I see Crystal is not on Mr Sunday any more. Don't want to be rude but she always looked like she needed a right good shag to put a semblence of a smile on her face.

I'm on it, Chriselle.

:thumbsup:

Though I suspect that a project of this size and complexity might take at least a few weeks to construct once approved.

I'm not into faffing around all the details though, just outlining concepts and ideas.

:friend:

Never too to her.

I prefer 'complete' Japanese rather than the 'half' ones. ;)

She's in so many CM's though, I'm sure she won't be out of pocket any time soon and she'll also pop up somewhere else.

Oh, back to earthquakes... :shifty:

• 2 weeks later...

Nankai trough mag 8-9, 60-70% chance within 30 years. 90% within 50 years.

Those pretty big % numbers there.

What do they say it is for the under Tokyo one? :shifty:

政府の地震調査委員会(委員長=本蔵義守・東工大名誉教授)は24日、東海地方から四国、九州沖にかけて延びる「南海トラフ」のどこかで、マグニチュード(M)8~9級の地震が30年以内に発生する確率は、60~70%と発表した。

l1x1-0d3a1fb758df89fe76286575fa2fbffc9ae83d03.gif

10年以内は20%程度、20年以内40~50%、50年以内90%程度以上と予測している。

南海トラフを「東海」「東南海」「南海」の3領域に分けて発生確率を算出していた従来の手法を見直した。本蔵委員長はこの日の記者会見で、「M8以上の地震が発生する切迫性はかなり高い。今後の地震、津波対策を着実に推進してもらいたい」と話した。

今回の見直しは、広範囲のプレート(岩板)が動いた東日本大震災を教訓に実施された。これまで想定していたよりも広い範囲でプレートが動く可能性を考慮し、南海トラフの震源域を2倍以上に広げた。