The general 'Japan earthquake' topic

Western buildings are also designed to sway in earthquakes, if they are properly designed for earthquakes. Cf. Transamerica Building in San Francisco.

Not having seen the CNN coverage, I wouldn't assume they are being dumb or alarmist. Just reporting what little there was to report, really.

There's the crux of the matter, if they are designed for earthquakes.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muika, he is apparently going for 10 days. He is not the most communicative so all she knows is 10 days, 7 with a family in Shizuoka and 3 in Tokyo. He is not organized in the slightest, so I ran he

My instinct for big earthquakes pre-training   Stand around Shit my pants Phew   After Pick up son and grab wife Get earthquake kit Dive under table Shit my pants

That would indeed be a sickner

They could've had "7.3 quake rocks Japan", the made it sound like it was 7.3 under Tokyo....it wasn't.....the story wasnt the fact that buildings swayed in Tokyo (what they are designed to do), the story was another strong quake in Tohoku. Seems alarmist and sensationalist to me

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah, was a fairly strong one. Was at a party, and it was interesting that we all got the earthquake warnings buzzing on our phones, then 20 odd seconds later the shaking started.

the one in Hokkaido last night was near Obihiro... i did not feel a thing.

Only found out about it on the bus this arvo.. doh!

I actually felt it way down here, but it was only a shindo 2 so didn't think anything of it at the time.

Heard in the morning that eastern Hokkaido got a good shake.

No avalanches, I guess?

the one in Hokkaido last night was near Obihiro... i did not feel a thing.

Only found out about it on the bus this arvo.. doh!

I actually felt it way down here, but it was only a shindo 2 so didn't think anything of it at the time.

Heard in the morning that eastern Hokkaido got a good shake.

No avalanches, I guess?

Other people felt it..

no avalanches afaik..

Yeah, was a fairly strong one. Was at a party, and it was interesting that we all got the earthquake warnings buzzing on our phones, then 20 odd seconds later the shaking started.

I have that turned off.

Not sure it would do me any good other than panic.

I have that turned off.

Not sure it would do me any good other than panic.

I thought I'd turned it off on my phone too to be honest!

I guess it's helpful if you're sharp enough to think to turn off your stove or gas, and get away from anything that might fall on you. On Saturday however, we were a fair few beers into the night, so none of that happened!

• 3 weeks later...