The general 'Japan earthquake' topic

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muika, he is apparently going for 10 days. He is not the most communicative so all she knows is 10 days, 7 with a family in Shizuoka and 3 in Tokyo. He is not organized in the slightest, so I ran he

My instinct for big earthquakes pre-training   Stand around Shit my pants Phew   After Pick up son and grab wife Get earthquake kit Dive under table Shit my pants

That would indeed be a sickner

Did they make an annoucement over the sirens as well?

Yeah, it was like 30 seconds of air-raid-like sirens, followed by tsunami warnings (repeated three times) over the community PA system. Unfortunately, one of the PA speakers is only about 15m from our house so it's very loud.

Yes it was, so lots of alarms going off and exercises going off.

I presume it's imbed in to that, and perhaps all these re-evaluations that tell us how Japan is doomed!

with that Phillipine earthquake the other day, there was a warning for Shonan as well......dunno if the alarms actually went off though as I was in town safely ensconced on the 8th floor in an izakaya.

Recently here as well they are doing all sorts of earthquake drills and preparedness which I also took part in about a week ago.

We also had the warning sirens come over the tanoy system which rang out all over Kofu, and even up here in the mountain where I am.

Lots of talk on TV too about the Nankai trough, etc or and Fujisan possibly blowing its top sometime soon!

At least we wont be washed away by a tsunami, just covered in ash and squashed by landslides!

This was in the Japanese news yesterday and this morning everywhere else too!

Pressure in Mount Fuji now higher than last eruption, experts warn

Volcanologists speculate that a disaster is imminent.

New readings taken by the National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention reveal that the pressure in Mount Fuji’s magma chamber, at 1.6 megapascals, is nearly 16 times the 0.1 megapascals it takes to trigger an eruption, says this article on wired.co.

The pressure is now higher than it was in 1707, the last time the Japanese volcano erupted.

Researchers have speculated for some time that the volcano, located on Honshu Island 100km southwest of Tokyo, is overdue an eruption.

Since the 2011 earthquake and tsunami, Japan has been on tenterhooks, and in May 2012 a professor from Ryukyu University warned that a massive eruption within three years would be likely.

The Institute qualified its warning by noting that pressure is just one contributory factor to an eruption. The 1707 quake, however, was itself caused by a recent earthquake that amped up the pressure in its magma chamber.

“It’s possible for Mount Fuji to erupt even several years after the March 2011 earthquake, therefore we need to be careful about the development,” a representative said.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-09/06/mount-fuji

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/14777344/mount-fuji-under-more-pressure-than-last-eruption/