The general 'Japan earthquake' topic

Don't have the one turned on on my phone.

But those bring-bring warnings of big ones that come up on tv like above sure as heck get the heart racing fast.

First thing 'is it near me, is it near me'.

That dude on NHK sure kept his cool.

I suppose they must have training for that.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muika, he is apparently going for 10 days. He is not the most communicative so all she knows is 10 days, 7 with a family in Shizuoka and 3 in Tokyo. He is not organized in the slightest, so I ran he

My instinct for big earthquakes pre-training   Stand around Shit my pants Phew   After Pick up son and grab wife Get earthquake kit Dive under table Shit my pants

That would indeed be a sickner

Anyone on here high up in a high rise building last march 11th when it happened?

That swaying up there must have been absolutely terrifying.

Just on the NHK news here now about the 'coming attraction' 3 major quakes off western Japan they predict that the high rise swaying will last 20 minutes in Tokyo / Osaka (double what was seen on 3/11)

Add to the constant 'earthquake news' we keep on getting recently.

• 2 weeks later...

"New" active fault found near Mt Fuji, calling all Gotenba area residents!

富士山東麓の地下に長さ約30キロ・メートルの活断層がある可能性が高いことが、東京大学地震研究所の佐藤比呂志教授(構造地質学)らによる調査でわかった。

この断層が動けばマグニチュード7級の地震を起こす恐れがあり、山の一部が崩れる「山体崩壊」の引き金となる可能性も否定できないという。千葉市で20日から始まる日本地球惑星科学連合大会で発表する。

活断層が見つかったのは、富士山東麓の静岡県御殿場市付近。陸側のプレート(地球を覆う岩板)に、伊豆半島を乗せたフィリピン海プレートが南側からぶつかる境界とみられる場所で、これまでに確認された活断層「神縄・国府津―松田断層帯」の西側に続いている。

"Morning Bird" had a bit on 断層だらけ日本 this morning only caught the last bit.

Seems that new faults are being added to the map all the time and, as we knew anyway, Japan is totally riddled with them.

What fun!

That dude on NHK sure kept his cool.

I suppose they must have training for that.

They most definitely do, and quite often as well.

But all the training I suppose can't prepare you totally for the horror of it happening.

Friend pointed this out to me, it's the JMA record of the quakes in the past week

weekly01.png

It may well update.

Wonder what a similar thing looked like pre March 2011.

first one ive ever gotten out of my chair for. And i did it to grab my snowboards and make sure they didnt fall :) My first ever 4 by the looksof it. Actually it might be my second, i think i remember a 4 hitting hama when i lived there and bricking it because i thought it was the tokai finally coming and i was on the 6th floor of one of those prefab looking apartment blocks.

ETA: only a 3 where i am it turns out.

Friend pointed this out to me, it's the JMA record of the quakes in the past week

weekly01.png

It may well update.

Wonder what a similar thing looked like pre March 2011.

Quite surprised at all that activity in Nagano.

Can understand the north east bit as that's leftovers from last March.

i woke up just before it started. I swear to god my leopalace has a structural fault that acts as a kind of earthquake early warning system. The initial shock bounced me awake and then about 5 seconds later the place started shifting a bit. Quickly ended and went straight back to sleep.