The general 'Japan earthquake' topic

a precursor to something more scary

Well, of course it is in geological time.

Sooner or later (this afternoon or 1.9 million years from now) there's going to be a mega-quake along the nankai trough that'll make 3/1/2011 look like a baby's rattle.

I really think the government needs to do something to prevent this. :grr:

Yeah, like get Pies and his dome making skills brought to bear on the dai ichi plant before another hits and the green goo is giving us all a 3rd arm

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muika, he is apparently going for 10 days. He is not the most communicative so all she knows is 10 days, 7 with a family in Shizuoka and 3 in Tokyo. He is not organized in the slightest, so I ran he

My instinct for big earthquakes pre-training   Stand around Shit my pants Phew   After Pick up son and grab wife Get earthquake kit Dive under table Shit my pants

That would indeed be a sickner

• 1 month later...

That's weird. I didn't know about it being the anniversary but was just thinking about that today. Obviously being so far away I wasn't affected by it at all. I remember being on a chair with wheels about 10 stories up and starting to roll across the floor when the building began to shake.

Thoughts of course go out to those who were affected by it.

All ok?

An earthquake of magnitude 6.8 has struck off the coast of Japan prompting emergency services to issue a tsunami advisory for the Fukushima area.

Japan's Meteorological Agency raised a 1-meter (3-foot) tsunami warning for a long stretch of Japan's northeastern coast, including Fukushima. The US Pacific Tsunami Warning Center did not post warnings for the rest of the Pacific.

There were no initial reports of damage on land, although the AFP agency cited reports saying that workers had been evacuated from the stricken nuclear power plant.

The quake hit at 2:10 a.m. Saturday Tokyo time (1710 GMT) about 290 kilometers (170 miles) off Fukushima. Japanese broadcaster NHK reported that Tokyo Electric Power Co., the operator of the Fukushima plant, ordered workers near the coast to move to higher ground.

The tremor was felt in Tokyo, some 300 miles (480 kilometers) away.