The general 'Japan earthquake' topic

I know there's earthquake insurance, but is there also volcano insurance? Or do things like that come under the same policies?

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muika, he is apparently going for 10 days. He is not the most communicative so all she knows is 10 days, 7 with a family in Shizuoka and 3 in Tokyo. He is not organized in the slightest, so I ran he

My instinct for big earthquakes pre-training   Stand around Shit my pants Phew   After Pick up son and grab wife Get earthquake kit Dive under table Shit my pants

That would indeed be a sickner

I know there's earthquake insurance, but is there also volcano insurance? Or do things like that come under the same policies?

Dunno, as far as I know volcano explosions are not covered by insurance, but not sure.

If Fujisan blows her top, then where our new house is going to be will be far enough away to not be effected by it. Where we are now though we would probably get a covering of ash on everything.

Did a web search, and found a site claiming that damages from volcano eruption, tsunami or earthquake are all covered under earthquake insurance --and NOT under regular fire insurance. Note that earthquake insurance has lower pay-out limits than regular fire insurance. (Also, as our agent explained to us, if a fire was caused by an earthquake, then it is only covered by earthquake insurance, not regular fire insurance.)

Depends on the type of house, but a couple to a few man-yen per year?

The catch is that you only get paid about half the value of your house at most.

Plus, the payout levels are quantized; for 3.11.2011, the payout levels were 5%, 50%, or 100% of half the value of one's house, so really 2.5%, 25% or 50%.

(Not sure if these payout levels always apply, or whether they were just for that one.)

that'd be a sickener, paying a few man yen for many years and then only getting 2.5% of your house value!! Is the % based on value when you bought it or perceived value at the time of destruction?

that'd be a sickener, paying a few man yen for many years and then only getting 2.5% of your house value!!

Not really. Actually, we got a 2.5% payout due to damage from the 3.11 earthquake, which corresponded to a few decades' worth of insurance premiums, after only paying in for a few years, so cannot really complain. Certainly better than not getting the payout. Whole process was remarkably smooth and trouble-free. The assessor actually pointed out things we hadn't noticed; the reasons we originally called him in for he said weren't significant, but that we should deal with other issues we hadn't been aware of. Good experience all around, and glad in the end to have had his trained eye to check over things.

Is the % based on value when you bought it or perceived value at the time of destruction?

Based on the value when one took out the insurance, I think. Which for us was when the house was new.

Yeah I was thinking more if the house was totalled and all u got was 2.5%

Oh, that's not how it works. You get paid the highest level that your damage reaches or exceeds. So if the assessed damage amount is between two specified payout levels, then you get the lower level. Earthquake insurance won't pay to put your house back exactly the way it was before, it just helps defray some of the costs of repairs/rebuilding. But worth it nonetheless, I think.

did anyone see those large fissures that have appeared on the roads around Mt Fuji??!! They are huge....although scientists are saying that it isn't down to magma movement, but melting snow and ice washing away the soil under the tar mac.....still pretty impressive/dangerous cracks in the earth