The general 'Japan earthquake' topic

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muika, he is apparently going for 10 days. He is not the most communicative so all she knows is 10 days, 7 with a family in Shizuoka and 3 in Tokyo. He is not organized in the slightest, so I ran he

My instinct for big earthquakes pre-training   Stand around Shit my pants Phew   After Pick up son and grab wife Get earthquake kit Dive under table Shit my pants

That would indeed be a sickner

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Minamiuonuma, that was very similar to March 11th last year, not quite as strong.

Very quiet, starting with just a very small wobble that I thought was my eyes just being a bit dizzy... followed by a bigger more definite set of wobbles.

Silent.

Even though it was shindo 3 here, it was a very different shindo 3 than one produced by a local earthquake.

I instantly knew it was somewhere far away again, and definitely not local.

Ran out into the car and put the tv on.

Yappari.

:(

Was at work on the 3rd floor of a very safe building in tokyo, which shook quite a bit, more so than usual.

Trying to get home now. Only taken 2hrs so far... Usually only takes 1.

Stay safe Tohoku SJers.

CNN's breaking news banner said : Tokyo buildings sway after mag 7.3 quake

Yeah......that's what they're meant to do, cretin. Alarmist bullshit

Without meaning to sound "alarmist", for people who don't know that buildings are designed to sway, which pretty much goes against Western building regulations, I can understand why they went with that.

Wrong by all means though...

CNN's breaking news banner said : Tokyo buildings sway after mag 7.3 quake

Yeah......that's what they're meant to do, cretin. Alarmist bullshit

Without meaning to sound "alarmist", for people who don't know that buildings are designed to sway, which pretty much goes against Western building regulations, I can understand why they went with that.

Wrong by all means though...

Western buildings are also designed to sway in earthquakes, if they are properly designed for earthquakes. Cf. Transamerica Building in San Francisco.

Not having seen the CNN coverage, I wouldn't assume they are being dumb or alarmist. Just reporting what little there was to report, really.