The general 'Japan earthquake' topic

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muika, he is apparently going for 10 days. He is not the most communicative so all she knows is 10 days, 7 with a family in Shizuoka and 3 in Tokyo. He is not organized in the slightest, so I ran he

My instinct for big earthquakes pre-training   Stand around Shit my pants Phew   After Pick up son and grab wife Get earthquake kit Dive under table Shit my pants

That would indeed be a sickner

I see NHK is leading tonight with yet another earthquake prediction 'upgrade'..... all 23 Tokyo wards to be shindo 6 and above in latest predictions.

Sounds like fun.

I think they know something. The elephants or the jellyfish or whatever told them.

Hey the place I live is on that map as shindo 7.

That's some serious rock n'rolling!

:banner:

This morning on one of the breakfast shows, they had a corner earthquake-related called "How Not To Die".

:veryshocked:

Of course it included a reporter laying on the cheesy acting cuddled under a table in one of those earthquake simulator machies.

In my experience of Chuetsu, the initial one is totally unexpected and so I was in an almost frozen like state. I was just stood there holding on as if time was also standing still with me.

I quickly learnt that aftershocks are inevitable and they are almost scarier as you are on alert and expecting them.

I would think that instint takes over in the face of sudden massive earthquake movements!

(Does it?)

Ideally, training would take over; I don't think humans have much in the way of useful instinctual responses built in to deal with earthquakes. You're likely to do something to put yourself in more danger (like running out of a building, only to get hit by falling debris) if you don't have some idea of what to do.

Of course, in the actual event, you'll have to do some thinking on your feet to adapt to the actual circumstances you find yourself in, but it does not hurt to pay attention to those "How Not to Die" lessons occasionally so that, with luck, some productive ideas bubble up to the surface when needed.

I agree with you there MO.

There was a discussion on one of the evening news shows about the things you should have in your mind - and if there were not mixed messages. For example 'turn off the gas'. It has usually been get that thing turned off, but now there was a talk about not doing that and getting yourself under a table first and foremost.

One's things for sure, you're not thinking straight when it happens so at least some kind of how to cope is necessary. I didn't have anything in my head when it happened to me I had absolutely no idea what to do.

My instinct for big earthquakes pre-training

Stand around

Shit my pants

Phew

After

Pick up son and grab wife

Get earthquake kit

Dive under table

Shit my pants

• Like 1

Strong quake in Chiba, which is where I am today.

Sitting watching the news and that dreadful warning flashes up and some pretty big shaking.

scary.

I was having a really good relaxing day as well.

I know what you mean, and I hate the alarms.

Though it was pretty strong where I am here.

:sadface:

Perhaps it wasn't quite as big as they initially thought it would be....

yeah, depending on how far from the epicentre you are depends on how much pre-emptive time you have, but its not as if it gives you significant warning, its usually only about 10 seconds at best. As MiJ and Brit Gob said, the alarms are often worse than the actual quake........shit my pants today

There is a shock wave caused by the initial quake, the p wave, which travels relatively fast, but does no damage, and that alerts the earthquake monitoring centers of the secondary, more dangerous wave.

It can be a matter of seconds before with hits, or half a minute, depending on the distance from the epicentre.

There is a shock wave caused by the initial quake, the p wave, which travels relatively fast, but does no damage, and that alerts the earthquake monitoring centers of the secondary, more dangerous wave.

It can be a matter of seconds before with hits, or half a minute, depending on the distance from the epicentre.

Ah, thanks. That clears it up.