The general 'Japan earthquake' topic

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muika, he is apparently going for 10 days. He is not the most communicative so all she knows is 10 days, 7 with a family in Shizuoka and 3 in Tokyo. He is not organized in the slightest, so I ran he

My instinct for big earthquakes pre-training   Stand around Shit my pants Phew   After Pick up son and grab wife Get earthquake kit Dive under table Shit my pants

That would indeed be a sickner

I also wonder how much the government would let on if there were clear signs that something big was going to happen. In the past few weeks I've been hearing more and more idle chatter (more gossip than usual) about the Tokai earthquake. People have also been talking more about the possibilities of Mt. Fuji erupting... something I hadn't really heard much of until recently. Last weekend on the way back from Nagano we saw quiet a few firefighters (a dozen trucks or so) doing drills on the Fujinomiya side of Mt. Fuji as well.

We have a few supplies and bags ready to go incase of emergency but I don't think they would help much if Fuji were spewing!

Same supplies as you guys above basically! Well if Fujisan does explode we will be totally covered in ash if the wind blows in this direction, not sure how bad it would be though!

There has been a prediction from an astrophysicist (Piers Cobyn) from the UK that a very big quake will hit this month somewhere in the world! Trouble is he has predicted many with great accuracy over the past couple of years! He is also very accurate at predicting the weather months in advance too!

No idea if it will come through, but better to be prepared just in case I say!

That's the same guy that predicted a white easter right?

And from Wikipedia:

Forecasts for 2008

At the end of 2007, WeatherAction predicted that temperatures in January could plummet to -17 °C in the Midlands, and that the average temperature for January would be close to freezing. This prediction was dismissed by the Met Office in a Guardian article on 2 January.[20] After the January prediction proved false, Mr. Corbyn blamed the incorrect forecast on an undefined 'procedural error,' but insisted that the second half of the month, specifically the period of 21–27 January, would be very cold, stating on his website:

""The period and forecast maps for the very cold ‘dipole’ patterns 15-21st Jan will probably be shifted later to 21st- 23rd Jan. Some exceptionally strong blizzard conditiuons (sic) and very strong cold winds are likely in this period. An ongoing similar situation with widespread heavy snow, strong winds and blizzards will continue 24th- 27th Jan."[21]

The period 21–23 January continued very mild for the country as a whole, but with a brief colder interlude for Scotland and the far north of England, with some snow in the Highland and Pennine Mountain regions, not out of the ordinary for January.[22] The Met Office run Hadley Observation Centre had the CET from the 1–22 January running at 6.4 °C, or 2.8 °C above normal for the time of year. This made it highly unlikely that Corbyn's very cold January forecast would come to fruition.

The final CET for January 2008 ended up over 3 °C above the standard reference average making the predictions for a cold Jan very poor. In fact it ended up being one of the warmest Januarys since records began.

That's the same guy that predicted a white easter right?

And from Wikipedia:

Forecasts for 2008

At the end of 2007, WeatherAction predicted that temperatures in January could plummet to -17 °C in the Midlands, and that the average temperature for January would be close to freezing. This prediction was dismissed by the Met Office in a Guardian article on 2 January.[20] After the January prediction proved false, Mr. Corbyn blamed the incorrect forecast on an undefined 'procedural error,' but insisted that the second half of the month, specifically the period of 21–27 January, would be very cold, stating on his website:

""The period and forecast maps for the very cold ‘dipole’ patterns 15-21st Jan will probably be shifted later to 21st- 23rd Jan. Some exceptionally strong blizzard conditiuons (sic) and very strong cold winds are likely in this period. An ongoing similar situation with widespread heavy snow, strong winds and blizzards will continue 24th- 27th Jan."[21]

The period 21–23 January continued very mild for the country as a whole, but with a brief colder interlude for Scotland and the far north of England, with some snow in the Highland and Pennine Mountain regions, not out of the ordinary for January.[22] The Met Office run Hadley Observation Centre had the CET from the 1–22 January running at 6.4 °C, or 2.8 °C above normal for the time of year. This made it highly unlikely that Corbyn's very cold January forecast would come to fruition.

The final CET for January 2008 ended up over 3 °C above the standard reference average making the predictions for a cold Jan very poor. In fact it ended up being one of the warmest Januarys since records began.

Yeah same guy. Some of what he predicts he has been way out but he has been quite right for a lot too.

I'm going to really stick my neck out and predict a "big earthquake" in Japan between now and the end of this year.

Feel free to take 'big' as meaning what you like. I will. ;)

I bet I'm right!

:party:

Actually a little fact here that all the old locals around here have told me, which appears to be spot on.

When ever mount Fuji has what is know as a KASAGUMO (umbrella cloud) within a day or two at most either very bad weather or an earthquake will hit, and it has been spot on because last Saturday we had a big quake here and the day before Fujisan had an umbrella cloud hanging over the top of it.

A week or so before that there was also the same cloud and we got heavy snow here.

Before the really big typhoon that hit last summer Fujisan also had that same cloud!

Rare or not, i think Snowdude had better warn us the next time he sees one!! In fact, how about a new post titled, "Snowdude's Alert"??

Ha ha!

Even a blind chicken picks up some corn.

& Mamabear, where did you get that proverb from because it was one of the first things I learnt in Danish!!

So is this "umbrella cloud" a rare thing then?

Well in this past year I have noticed several times once I was told about it, so when ever Mount Fuji is visible I look to see if I can see this cloud!

Rare or not, i think Snowdude had better warn us the next time he sees one!! In fact, how about a new post titled, "Snowdude's Alert"??

Ha ha!

Even a blind chicken picks up some corn.

& Mamabear, where did you get that proverb from because it was one of the first things I learnt in Danish!!

Lol! Yeah ok I will make a "Snowdude's Alert" thread the next time I see this cloud!

Then let's see what events unfold.