The general 'Japan earthquake' topic

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muika, he is apparently going for 10 days. He is not the most communicative so all she knows is 10 days, 7 with a family in Shizuoka and 3 in Tokyo. He is not organized in the slightest, so I ran he

My instinct for big earthquakes pre-training   Stand around Shit my pants Phew   After Pick up son and grab wife Get earthquake kit Dive under table Shit my pants

That would indeed be a sickner

気象庁の永井章・地震津波監視課長は「東海地震や富士山の火山活動との関連性は、今のところないとみている。

No connection to Tokai jishin or Fuji erupting, they say.

Nice post BW! ;) I live in the top, corner room of an old 3-floor building and my bed doubles up as my sofa, so I'm normally sitting with my back against what is the exterior wall (if that makes sense!). I therefore get to feel any movement in the wall and this morning it shook quite violently for a few seconds, as did my mugs and stuff. Was thinking about getting out when it stopped! :thumbsup:

& I'm always confused by the Shindo scale, so as much for me as anyone else, here's a simple summary I've just found:-

"The Japanese "shindo" scale for measuring earthquakes is more commonly used in Japan than the Richter scale to describe earthquakes. Shindo refers to the intensity of an earthquake at a given location, i.e. what people actually feel at a given location, while the Richter scale measures the magnitude of an earthquake, i.e. the energy an earthquake releases at the epicenter. The shindo scale ranges from shindo one, a slight earthquake felt only by people who are not moving, to shindo seven, a severe earthquake. Shindo two to four are still minor earthquakes that do not cause damage, while objects start to fall at shindo five, and heavier damage occurs at shindo six and seven."

hmmm..

just found out today that a friends son is heading over in less than a week. His first trip to Japan, his first without his parents anywhere.

He has been studying Japanese at Uni and is doing some kind of exchange programme. He is a very bright boy, but sits somewhere on the autism spectrum as far as certain behaviours go.

I wonder how he would cope... :confused:

It's funny people do seem to cope with these things in very different ways, sometimes unexpected.

A friend of mine's wife teaches mentally handicapped children, for example, and they seem to kind of enjoy it sort of. Certainly not overly scared, they probably just don't understand what is happening.

I'm not good with them, as you might have noticed. ;)

Hopefully he won't need to encounter the feeling. How long is he over for?

I thought you liked them muika! ;)

I try very hard not to let them get to me, though they are scary shit things. Try to wipe from memory as quickly as possible and not dwell. Easy when you haven't experienced a REALLY big one I suppose.

Second big one this year for us, we actually had the new year broken in nicely with about the same size quake on Jan 1st!

I saw in the news paper the other day that they have upped the possibility of a really big mag 9 quake hitting the Tokyo, Tokai, Yamanashi area to a 70% chance with in the next 4 years now!

Hopefully that won't eventuate, but better to be prepared!

I thought you liked them muika! ;)

I try very hard not to let them get to me, though they are scary shit things. Try to wipe from memory as quickly as possible and not dwell. Easy when you haven't experienced a REALLY big one I suppose.

Yep. Agreed.

Some facebook [censored] decided to say, "hey it was only a 5.5". My retort was "and? What's your point?", to which he thankfully unfriended me.

Rant over.

I ****ing hate earthquakes, but am not going to let them rule my life. Only my lie-ins. ;)

Muika, he is apparently going for 10 days. He is not the most communicative so all she knows is 10 days, 7 with a family in Shizuoka and 3 in Tokyo. He is not organized in the slightest, so I ran her through the essentials like having a key card with a six digit pin number etc. I just put together a baggie of coins and smaller yen note to start him off because the currency exchange usually only give you bigger notes. I am sure he will be fine, even if the earth moves while he is there ;)

Oh and thanks for the omiyage chat earlier guys...I gave her some great ideas on that front! :D

• Like 1

Muika, he is apparently going for 10 days. He is not the most communicative so all she knows is 10 days, 7 with a family in Shizuoka and 3 in Tokyo. He is not organized in the slightest, so I ran her through the essentials like having a key card with a six digit pin number etc. I just put together a baggie of coins and smaller yen note to start him off because the currency exchange usually only give you bigger notes. I am sure he will be fine, even if the earth moves while he is there ;)

Oh and thanks for the omiyage chat earlier guys...I gave her some great ideas on that front! :D

what's this for MB?

Back on topic, one thing I learnt yesterday was that the shallower the earthquake, the more concentrated the power and damage is, whilst the deeper they are, the wider the power is spread.

Yesterday's big one was 20kms deep. In comparison, the New Zealand was 5kms and 6.1mag, which was roughly 6times the power. But 1/4 of the depth.

Fascinating stuff if you get into it.

They just a bit of looming earthquake stuff on Bankisha.

Certainly seems to have been a big increase since last year.

Mr Sunday looks set to do some earthquake theme piece tonight as well.

Doubtful, but Crystal might actually smile. She hasn't done so for 734 days and counting, so the odds must be on for her to crack one someday.

They just a bit of looming earthquake stuff on Bankisha.

Certainly seems to have been a big increase since last year.

Mr Sunday looks set to do some earthquake theme piece tonight as well.

Doubtful, but Crystal might actually smile. She hasn't done so for 734 days and counting, so the odds must be on for her to crack one someday.

I can understand why, if you shake things up then everything else gets a shift in pressure and is less stable.

I wonder if there is any indicators of anticipated depth of quakes... Do they get deeper as the aftershocks come, or shallower? or is t totally random? Are certain types of falts more likely to be shallow and destructive than others purely by the geology? Ahhh, the questions that send me to google!

Tubby, I don't know.