Fingers crossed that the forecast doesn't change and we get massive amounts of snow. Anyone heading to the hills? Trying to decide where to go now... Does anyone know of any festivals going on at any of the resorts? I want to avoid any unnecessary crowds ;)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well went today to my local resort today and was treated to 30+ cm's of pow, was great! I will be heading up to northern Nagano to a new resort for me next weekend too, going with my daughter and some friends!

I find the national NHK forecasts almost worthless for this area anyway.

If they say lots of snow though, I'll believe them. ;)

100cm melted off the wall of snow behind my house since one week ago, and very crusty tonight so a nice new thick layer will be most welcome.

:D

Hakuba for me BM.....I have a beginner friend in tow so I won't be doing or going anywhere too far from the beginner/intermediate runs. :sadface: I might think about nipping over to Cortina for Sunday AM.

ALSO... for Happo club members this weekend is early bird times.....lifts start at 6:30 or so..

i was thinking of either doing naeba/kagura and maybe staying at wadagoya (or whatever its name is) or the much less adventurous triple gala ticket and staying at the onsen... I kinda want to see as many of the different resorts as possible so i can review more than just the obvious hit ups. But i guess first i need to hit up the obvious places since theyre much easier to plan without any real japanese. :)

Best bet really Ippy would be to stay in the town, close to the station or at a hotel that offers free shuttle service to the station.

Moreover, some of the smaller places offer discounted tickets all over the place, saving you more money. :D

Hakuba for me BM.....I have a beginner friend in tow so I won't be doing or going anywhere too far from the beginner/intermediate runs. :sadface: I might think about nipping over to Cortina for Sunday AM.

ALSO... for Happo club members this weekend is early bird times.....lifts start at 6:30 or so..

I'm leaning towards Hakuba as well. I was going to hit up Myoko Kogen but it looks like it's going to be too windy there... In fact, while still far off, the forecast for the weekend is starting to look pretty windy everywhere I was thinking of going. Think I'm going to take the plunge and book a room.

What's this Happo club memeber thing? Anyway, we should hit the slopes together at some point!

I'm leaning towards Hakuba as well. I was going to hit up Myoko Kogen but it looks like it's going to be too windy there... In fact, while still far off, the forecast for the weekend is starting to look pretty windy everywhere I was thinking of going. Think I'm going to take the plunge and book a room.

What's this Happo club memeber thing? Anyway, we should hit the slopes together at some point!

If you go to the Happo-One home page you can become a member for discount coupons, ladies week, early bird days and other goodies. My wife signed me up so that's about the most I know about it.....she keeps me informed.

We'll be staying in Wadano on the main path going up to Sakka...can't remember the name of the hotel. The guy I'm going with is a real beginner so I have to spend some time teaching hims some things but I doubt he will be able to go out all day like I do so I should be able to get away. I'll give you a call and see if we can meet up somewhere for a few turns. Cheers

Most of the resorts have some sort of discounts, etc. My local in Kiyosato has! First time I went this season I got a member card which is free, cost 4200 first time, yersterday was 3500 because 2nd time 3rd time will only cost 3000 and 4+ times 2500 yen per time!

Other resorts most probably have similar things for any that go to the same place regulary!

I'm kinda regretting to offer to take a beginner up this weekend with me. Am I being a dick in thinking I can just leave him by himself for a large part of the day? Also,, he's only ever used rear entry boots and insists on them but I have no idea where to rent them from. As far as I know rentals are pretty much front entry types these days.....could be a big PITA. It's probably going to be POW weekend, too. MOTAINAI...

I'm kinda regretting to offer to take a beginner up this weekend with me. Am I being a dick in thinking I can just leave him by himself for a large part of the day? Also,, he's only ever used rear entry boots and insists on them but I have no idea where to rent them from. As far as I know rentals are pretty much front entry types these days.....could be a big PITA. It's probably going to be POW weekend, too. MOTAINAI...

Yep, 'fraid so. Unless your mate tells you to go off, you're babysitting this weekend.

Saying that, you could try pushing him/her a bit in terms of their ability. Nothing too drastic mind. ;)

Ya...too late to back out now. Shouganai..... Should be more positive I guess.

You never know, but your mate might tell you to go off. ;)

or just take another beginner with you, like Tubby Beaver. :p