Those damn aerial shots of the resorts that every lodge seems to have. They are honestly beautiful to look at. If they sold them in the shops id literally have walls filled with mountain vistas. I assume places USED to produce them back in the day, because they always look well weather beaten or washed out from the sun, and they're no longer available.

Ive never yet found one in an omiyage shop which i find astonishing. Lots of absolute tat, but you never find any real beautiful posters of the mountain you'd think they'd be trying to promote. Maybe its just me that has this weird fetish, but i LOVE those pictures and cant understand why they arent for sale on any mountain ive ever ridden. Any old timers whove been around a bit, did they sell these things in teh past, or is it some super rare limited edition only given out to lodge owners in a secret ceremony on the purchase of their new pension?

• SnowJapan Admin

A friend of mine in Yuzawa took an absolutely amazing photo centred on the whole Minamiuonuma/Yuzawa region (and considerably beyond towards Tokyo) from the sky many years back.

Stunning photo it is, I have it framed hanging up at home. Told him he should sell it as I'm sure lots of people would buy.

Actually a few of the skijo I have worked with in the recent past have asked about what omiyage foreigners might be interested in.

I always tell them this would be a very good idea. Probably because I think it is a good idea and I want them!

Postcards even.

I can't imagine that Japanese people would not be interested either.

Not seen it happen yet. :(

See, im just wondering if maybe ten or twenty years ago they had them up for sale, but because the culture is really to buy small foody stuff or trinkets over whopping great pictures, that they just didnt have the demand on them and so stopped producing them. OR if it really is that you can only get from the local area government and ONLY if you can prove you are an official skijo business owner (lodge, rentals et al). They dont even sell them in post card size for heavens sake. It boggles my mind that no one produces them so i have to assume the demand just wasnt there in the past or something.

• SnowJapan Admin

I've been here 20 years now and I can't remember being able to buy any when I first came.

Not in this area anyway.

In fact, I'm quite sure - I would have bought them if they were on sale! ;)

I think it's strange too.

I have some posters that resorts have made, but they are not for sale either.

Sort of related, I always find it really strange that a resort makes a totally anonymous poster or leaflet of some kids/ladies throwing snowballs or something, when they have some incredible unique scenery they could use to promote themselves.

Sort of related, I always find it really strange that a resort makes a totally anonymous poster or leaflet of some kids/ladies throwing snowballs or something, when they have some incredible unique scenery they could use to promote themselves.

Totally don't get that either.

:wakaranai:

Yupyup. :) Maybe a bit less general area and a bit more narrowly focused on a specific hit (like hakuba 47 over the whole hakuba district). Something a bit more ski resort i guess. But yeah, thats pretty and id certainly have that up on my wall.

try and get in touch with the Japanese version of the Ordnance Survey Department....they'll have aerial photos and may well sell them....they may also think you are a foreign spy and get the cops to arrest you on suspicion of espionage :lol:

Something like this?

大型パノラマポスター「白馬連山」冬 .jpg

when I was in Hakuba a few years back, I purchased a large poster very similar to this, about 1000 x 600mm which was vinyl wrapped.

I got it from a the local tourism shop(?) in the train station/bus stop

In my 12 years of being in Japan apart from seeing those large poster photos hanging at the reception of some small minshikus and the occasional restaurant I have never really seen them for sale anywhere either.

Zermatt is flogging all kinds of permutations of the Matterhorn and surrounds, from photos in winter and summer to sketches and water colors. Making a bloody fortune.

Go for it gentlemen. If I ever actually get organized enough to buy me a holiday rental in a J skijo then I will be wanting to purchase many. :)