Hey folks! looks like I'm gonna need some new boots REAL soon (the shoe glue just aint cuttin it anymore) Anyway, Im rockin some 10-11 Burton Rulers. Like the boot (not LOVE) but wanna try something new, maybe even a new boot system like boa or whateva. Holler at me with any advice/comments about the boots you love/hate.

I use to rock lace ups, but couldnt get the desired tightness from them. Right now with the Burtons they got the 2 zip cord thingys on each side, I really like being able to tighten the lower section and upper section separately, but lately i have noticed the cords slipping as the day progresses and i have to keep re-tightening throughout the day (boooooo). Also a few weeks after I bought the boots one of the cords snapped while i was tightening it...(and i wasnt pulling crazy hard)

Definitely interested in the boa style boots, but just sucks if the wire breaks (you're out for the day)

Anyway hit me up! thanks guys!

i have these DC judge dual boas

DCS3537-BK.jpg

They are incredibly comfortable (I walked 17km on a backcountry trek last year!) but they are fully adjustable and easy to loosen/tighten without worrying about frozen laces.

also, inside they have an ankle harness which hold the ankle in nice and firmly.

These arent a stiff boot, so you would need to decide what amount of boot flex you want

I have thirty two boots nearly exactly the same as gareths dc's above. Dual BOA is a must have if you are anything less than 100% happy with the way your current boots fit, dual BOA is insane. As is the inner ankle harness which stops any heel lift.

i have Nike Zoom forces 1. Anyone has them knows exactly what im about to say...

Whoever passed the prototype on their lacing needs to be shot in the ****ing head. Metaphorically of course, no one needs to be shot over a lacing system regardless of how large their crimes against convenience might be.

What makes it particularly annoying is the velcro that the laces keep sticking to as youre trying to tie them up. The boots themselves are outstandingly good. No pressure points and no heel lift. Theyre also extremely durable and thanks to the amazing lacing system you can dial in your support really well.

But man oh man, lacing them up is miserable. Velcro gets in the way of the laces, the velcro parts also seem to be placed EXACTLY in the worst possible place to annoy the crap out of you.

While im here, id also like to mention that my union bindings need a bit of a makeover. Brilliant bindings of course, but clipping in is an endless battle with the toe and heel ratchets. There! thats enough harrumphing from me today :)

I have thirty two boots nearly exactly the same as gareths dc's above. Dual BOA is a must have if you are anything less than 100% happy with the way your current boots fit, dual BOA is insane. As is the inner ankle harness which stops any heel lift.

I've got the same ones as well but mine are K2 (!) Same people in the same factory, no doubt.

One of the boa dials on the side kept popping out until I glued it in, which took a few attempts to do properly. That said, the fit is fantastic and the boas are really convenient. I'm really happy with them.

I looked at the thirty twos and K2s but they are a lot stiffer boot than my DC, so I opted for the softer boot for my (low) skillset

NICE feedback yall! My only hesitation on the BOA style boots before were the lower/upper sections not being controlled separately, but I like the idea of the dual dials, and really think i will give them a chance. Has anyones wire ever broke? and with the spare, could it be done on the mtn, with no tools?!?! just a ques.

Ippy, always appreciate your feedback brudda! thanks as usual! What specifically is hard bout clippin in with the forces? Also, i havent heard many ppl rockin the nike boots! so appreciate that feedback! As a man who loves his KICKS, I have been a bit envious of ppl rockin the sweet/perty nike boots ;) good stuff man!

Have you thought about getting another Burton style? I have to say that I'm a big big fan of being able to adjust the upper and lower part of the boot separately. I've got a pair of Ions and they are sugar sweet. I've used the Rulers in the past as well. I once used a pair of those boas and had two problems with them... one was that I didn't feel like I could adjust them the way I like (because Burton has ruined me from their tweekability) the other was that I bumped them on something (maybe while in the trees) and they released completely. I mean they instantly got super loose and I was hating it! Another minor point was that the liner felt too restrictive because of the way they attach to the boot.

youre constantly standing on teh buggery things when youre trying to clip in. They have a MASSIVELY annoying curve to them that puts them ALWAYS above the base plate. I saw in one of the many 2013 threads something about finally solving this issue, but i cant remember if it was 2013 unions or 2013 flux :) Either way, its ust one of those mild annoyances that dont undermine the rest of the binder (i <3 my forces), but its definitely irritating enough to mention it. Oh and my right foot toe ratchet gets stuck occasionally and can be a bit of a bitch to unclip. Ooooh, lets hate on my forces for a minute then... theres also the screws. They are pretty damn short compared to some other screws. For the first few months the damn things kept coming lose. Hopefully the 2010/11 and 2011/12s fixed that, but its a bit of an issue on my spectacular green forces.

Which i find union are bringing back in 2013 :'( this makes me sad! everyone loves the green forces! But i OWN THEM!!! RWAAARRR!!! :p

Oh, and the zoom force 1s are fantastic. Nice stiffness, so great response, and of course theyre one of the few boots that dont give me heel lift. Both forum and burton give me terrible heel lift. And 32s feel way too wide (and a little uncomfortable).

But i tell you this, for sex on your foot the Nike Kaijus are pure heaven. I could wear those damn things around the house as slippers theyre that comfy. But check the sizing on all your nikes. They fit a little small in my personal experience. You may have to size up on the forces and you DEFINITELY have to size up on the kaijus. They also have a massive footprint. My size 9s fill out my bindings in a way that my forums never did. Its pretty tight... and remember that the union M/L size is supposed to push you up to a 10.5ish.

RBBLK.jpg

I have these, K2 Raider BOA's. This is my 4th season with them and they've been ace. Very comfortable, easy to tighten/adjust on the move/chairlift/bar and they come with a spare wire and some instructions on how to change out the wire....it looks pretty easy BUT I haven't actually done it. Over New Year I noticed that one of the wires has started to fray, I had to chop a wire-thread off of it so's I could continue to ride........thats the first problem I've had and I consider it not bad seeing as its my 4th season with them. I put my bro onto the BOA system but he didn't like it, thought that the wire kept on slackening as the day went on, can't say I've noticed that before......I reckon he just got sold shitty boots!! :p The 2 dial BOA's are what I'm gonna go for next time when I have to buy a new pair of boots

My wife sussed out that it´s the single BOA that´s giving her the problem.

She wants the ankle tighten but not the width of her feet.

So it´s not really that her boots are half size too small.

We ordered a shorter BOA wire to thread the upper part only. The lower, we will lace it.

I bought a pair of men's boots just to get the dual lacing system on BOA as they were not selling it in a women's model at the time. Not sure if they are yet! Wll have to investigate as new boots are required.

Dual boas rock. Boas rock.

Our family has had 8 pairs of BOA boots over the past 6 ish years. Singles and doubles.

One pair was tossed because of a faulty BOA wheel which entrapped the wire and locked the boot on the foot all the time. It was a factory issue and we COULD have sent them back to get exchanged/repaired, but they were my sons, and he had already spat the dummy with them and bought a new pair with laces.

And we have had one wire breakage, impressive given the amount of hours on the snow, abuse and heavy riding they have been getting. The breakage was on 13 yr old sons boot (jan last year), broke in Niseko, we had not brought the tools or spare wire with us (due to complacency and confidence in the product), and there was no where that was able to fix them for us on the mountain. He gaffer taped them up for the day, and then hired boots for the rest of the trip.

Other than that we have done nothing but sing their praises.

Currently in Switzerland. PB is wearing not only dual BOA SB boots but also BOA lacing DC Judge Après Boots. The other guys traveling with us are intending in buying some for themselves if they can find them. They are supremely jealous of the ease of use.

Have you thought about getting another Burton style? I have to say that I'm a big big fan of being able to adjust the upper and lower part of the boot separately. I've got a pair of Ions and they are sugar sweet. I've used the Rulers in the past as well. I once used a pair of those boas and had two problems with them... one was that I didn't feel like I could adjust them the way I like (because Burton has ruined me from their tweekability) the other was that I bumped them on something (maybe while in the trees) and they released completely. I mean they instantly got super loose and I was hating it! Another minor point was that the liner felt too restrictive because of the way they attach to the boot.

Yea, I thought about giving another burton boot a shot, cause I def DONT hate the Rulers Im rockin right now, but have had some issues with them. The boot material doesnt hold up so well, Im not sure if its just me, but ALL my burton boots in the past have kind of fallen apart on me after a season of heavy riding. Right now my Rulers have a Sh#t ton of shoe glue caked on the front! haha its so ghetto fabulous. Also as of late, I feel like the quick draws are loosening up on me, cause no matter how tight I get my boots Pre-1st run, I always feel them loosen up substantially by the 2nd or 3rd run...so then I gotta stop and tighten etc etc. BUT usually after the second tightening, im usually set for the day, and SUPER comfy in the boots ;) so I dont mind too too much.

on a side rant...Burton gloves SUCK!!!! haha...I use to burn through pairs, and now they are banned from my life ;) Has anyone else experienced this? the material on the thumbs (the part u wipe ur nose with) ALWAYS fcking falls apart (and flakes off the glove)...ALWAYS....its ridiculous.

Anyway, back to BOOTS, watched a million-gazillion reviews on you tube last night, and Im def gonna hop into the shop and try on a pair of dual Boas (whether its the RIDE,DC,or thirtytwo boot) and as a kicks man, I just gotta give those Nikes a try ;) haha...those would def up my steez on the mtn...haha Great comments guys! thanks a bunch!

p.s. the Boa system is lifetime warranty! pretty dope

youre constantly standing on teh buggery things when youre trying to clip in. They have a MASSIVELY annoying curve to them that puts them ALWAYS above the base plate. I saw in one of the many 2013 threads something about finally solving this issue, but i cant remember if it was 2013 unions or 2013 flux :) Either way, its ust one of those mild annoyances that dont undermine the rest of the binder (i <3 my forces), but its definitely irritating enough to mention it. Oh and my right foot toe ratchet gets stuck occasionally and can be a bit of a bitch to unclip. Ooooh, lets hate on my forces for a minute then... theres also the screws. They are pretty damn short compared to some other screws. For the first few months the damn things kept coming lose. Hopefully the 2010/11 and 2011/12s fixed that, but its a bit of an issue on my spectacular green forces.

Which i find union are bringing back in 2013 :'( this makes me sad! everyone loves the green forces! But i OWN THEM!!! RWAAARRR!!! :p

Oh, and the zoom force 1s are fantastic. Nice stiffness, so great response, and of course theyre one of the few boots that dont give me heel lift. Both forum and burton give me terrible heel lift. And 32s feel way too wide (and a little uncomfortable).

But i tell you this, for sex on your foot the Nike Kaijus are pure heaven. I could wear those damn things around the house as slippers theyre that comfy. But check the sizing on all your nikes. They fit a little small in my personal experience. You may have to size up on the forces and you DEFINITELY have to size up on the kaijus. They also have a massive footprint. My size 9s fill out my bindings in a way that my forums never did. Its pretty tight... and remember that the union M/L size is supposed to push you up to a 10.5ish.

hey Ippy, any comments on how Burton sizing compares to Nike sizing ? I'm currently riding Burton Rulers and am interested in the ZF1's. I like my Rulers for their stiffness but they give me a bit of heel lift. Which Burtons were you in and how does the stiffness compare to the ZF1 ? I tried a pair of DK thought they were a bit soft... could also be due to the DK's articulated ankle.

akitapow....I hear you with the Gloves. I had a pair of O'Neils and they fell apart after a season, on a Christmas trip at home, I spotted a new shop in town and paid 16 pounds for a pair of Tresspass gloves and they've done me ever since. They are still in great nick after 2 or 3 seasons, keep my hands warm and dry. Nice and cheap and good quality....can't ask for much more.

I'm going to chuck my Salomon hat into the ring! Having ridden the same pair of Malamutes for about 5 years, this season I've finally replaced them with some Synapse wides. No BOA, but they have a dual/speed lacing system which I really rate. The only downside is the generally narrow sizing of Salomon boots, which did cause me some problems with the Malamutes but which I've now rectified by getting the Asian/Japan-fit wides! :thumbsup:

I'm another Salomon converter. When I was looking for my last pair of boots tried multiple brands then i put some Salomon Dialogues on my feet and never looked back.

Theyve served me very well for almost 40 riding days now as an all mountain boot.

Positives

Theyre the perfect fit for my foot, I can easily wear them for a whole day with no issues, or loosening the boots at any stage. Theyre just like comfortable shoes. I get no heel lift, theyre reasonably light, the mid/soft flex makes hiking quite comfortable.

They dont pack out much so you can pretty much get the right size meaning youre comofortable from day one.

Im a fan of the speed lacing system they use. You can easily adjust pressure in the lower and upper zones. Apparently its a slightly slower lace system to use but for the adjustability and minimal things that can go wrong its not an issue at all. The laces stay tight pretty much for the whole day, i rarely find my self readjusting my laces during the day due to them getting looser.

Negatives

Tread could be a bit better when hiking,

There could be a little pocket for the lace holder but its a very minor thing

For my next boot, I might my look at something a little stiffer maybe the F20 or F22 but it will be dependant on the fit and what my next board will be. I guess Salomons are greats boots for me but everyones feet are different so trying the boots on is the only real advice I can provide.

Salomons are great for narrow feet.

Would be one of my choices for the next boot.

Malamutes, F20, 22 ...

(They make great ski boots. Actually I have one. Just in case I go on two planks for old times sake ..)