Scary shite alright. Happened to me in 98 at Blackcomb skiing down to the glacier run out track from Crystal Ridge. Same scenario but it took me around 40 minutes to extricate myself. Flailed around for a while and ended up shimying up the trunk ripping my pants in the process.

Try to avoid them.

Thankfully not an issue in Niseko. Forests are mostly birch so no tree wells. That guy was lucky he didn't go in head first. Virtually impossible to get yourself out without help.

Not nearly the same, but today I fell in some waist/mid-thigh powder and had to walk out. Only about 20 steps, maybe, and I was wore out (for about 10 minutes, lol). Would have hated to be in deepers snow & farther away from the course and have that happen. Glad to see that guy made it out in the video.

2 things.

first, i like the way he says "ah! so this is a tree well!" like a mad combination of doc brown and les claypool.

Second, i dont understand why people ride in amongst tight evergreens. The second i see a line like that if i cant see a way around it, ill stop and bootpack right back the way i came. Its how i bust my hand last year in fact at kamui (the bootpack knackered me out).

Fortunately, the risk of falling into a tree well is completely avoidable. Unlike avalanches, which are difficult to predict and the danger is often not visible, tree wells exist in deep snow areas and only around trees -

in simple terms, a tree well is a hole in the deep snow, which is clearly marked by a tree.

You can avoid falling into a tree well by avoiding skiing or snowboarding near trees in deep snow areas.

What Is A Tree Well?

Hazardous tree wells are generally found in ungroomed areas.

The low-hanging branches of trees may create a sheltered area around the base of the tree, where a well of loose snow with air pockets can form.

It is best to assume that all trees in deep snow have some depth of tree well. Usually there is no easy way to identify if a particular tree has a dangerous tree well by sight, because the branches often block visibility of what hole may exist.

Particularly hazardous trees appear to actually be the smaller trees or trees where the branches are touching the snow. The branches help form a canopy over the hole, inhibiting snow from filling in the hole around the trunk of the tree –thus the snowpack increases outside the branches, creating a deeper hole under the branches.

safety_drawing-tree-well.gif

It really doesnt get any more simple than that. They are completely avoidable and signposted by a tree!

We've been getting a lot of snow the past week here in Washington state, several feet at least. I went riding with some friends on Wednesday and a friend got stuck in a tree well. Fortunately he went in feet first so he wasn't in any danger of suffocating or asphyxiation. He unstrapped one leg and was pushing against the tree trunk as hard as he could but his board didn’t budge. Eventually we were able to dig out his other foot, unstrap it and then finally dig out his board. It took such a long time and was exhausting. Granted we didn’t have shovels with us. I knew that it’s a pain in the ass to get out of a tree well but it was my first time seeing how difficult it is. It’d be scary to be trapped in one.

I am happy to stay away from trees but some time they are unavoidable.

Based on the above quote is it safe to say that trees that hold there leaves/fir/needles all year round are the dangerous ones and decidous are ok.

Apart from if you hit them?

Seemore

Not really a big fan of tree runs ..

Quote/ It really doesnt get any more simple than that. They are completely avoidable and signposted by a tree! / Unquote.

Not true. Ever heard of target fixation ?

I´ve seen a lot of people fixating on things they want to avoid crashing into... and doing so. :lol:

Yes Jynx

One of the things you learn when you ride a bike is look where you want to go.

It's amazing how people who crash into trees and power poles had 100 of metres either side and still manage to hit.

Always focus on where you want to end up your body will normally follow your gaze.

Seemore