seanbird,

you`d have to be a masochist to spend a week in the Hakkoda backcountry!

I`ve been here all season, mostly skiing the hill. I`ve been backcountry twice. Whilst the terrain is awesome, the weather is a beyatch. If you fluke a bluesky day, you can go for a day trip, but the chances of having even 2 days in a row of visibility are super minimal - so far this season I don`t think its happened.

There is a lodge at the base of Odake you can stay in, or camp. If you go for a week, I guarantee you`ll spend at least 5 days sitting inside, bored off your nut, cos the visibility outside is 2m and you`re afraid of getting lost.

If you wait until March or april the weather is more conducive to backcountry. In the meantime, I`d stick to the lift. There`s plenty of turns to be had!

Hope this helps,

hem now

Hey hem now - pretty sweet place, eh? I got one of those flukey blue sky actually could see Mt. Iwake and the city of Aomori and more than 2 poles in front of me tree well spottin' ski bunny boppin' days last Saturday. The clouds did move in later in the day, but the famous 'Hakkoda Cloud' was nowhere to be seen. The pow was heavy as hell, but we still had a great time.

seanbird (Larry Bird was my hero growing up - any relation?) - hem now hits it on the head. Wait until the Spring to do any hardcore backcountry up there. If you don't know the area, there's a strong possibility you will get lost if the weather is bad. If you know the area, go for it! It will remind you of skiing the Alaskan glaciers if you've ever been! Nothing beats 1m vis and the chance of skiing off a cliff! Get's the heart racing.

To be serious - a week in a row is a bit much for skiing the 'runs' at Hakkoda, but there are some other viable options in the area to spice things up if you did get bored. I can expand if you'd like, but this post is already too long. Spring probably is the best time for a long stay. Let me know.

Hey Plucky,no relation to L Bird but yep what a legend.A friend and I are travelling through Aomori early March and we are right into getting Pow and getting away from the Scene if u know what I mean!!I would appreciate some more info on Backcountry in that area.I heard that Hakkoda was insane but not so steep.Is the BC good there?