Mt Granview (Minamiuonuma, Niigata) - the resort that time forgot!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mid-morning here and the clouds had cleared and the sun came out. Time to go out for a few hours, we thought, and were debating whether to go to Maiko or Ishiuchi Maruyama. But we decided to have

I'm sure the owners are grateful for your help! Actually, come to think of it, you might now be their only form of marketing!!     Now there's an idea! Let's go before it closes forever!!!!!

Thanks. We had a few coupons to use and so didn't pay, which I almost felt guilty about actually.

But I see that it is 3500 yen for a day or 2500 yen for a half day. Season ticket 10500 yen!

They say on their website that they have 7 lifts which is a bit naughty really because there's no way at least 3 of them are operating! :naughty:

Could a tax writeoff or one of a variety of ways of getting local government money.

Alternatively it may be on public land and they stay open to put off paying the cost of removing the lifts.

With the Japanese population headed seriously downward, we'll only see more modern ruins like the ones in the photos.

From the number of buildings there, it looks like must have been relatively busy once.

I don't think you can say that about that place at Madarao that opened in 2000.

They might say there's however many courses but it's basically one course, a detour round for the bottom bit, and the course back down to the car park which is basically a winding road.

What you see on the fourth photo near the top is almost half of the resort.

None of it difficult, beginner - lower intermediate.

They seem to be telling porkies about lifts too. There were 3 single lifts moving today, all the others seemed either dead or totally submerged in snow.

I can't think of any way to recommend it other than for trying something new after checking out everywhere else, or checking out the retro vibe!

That's brilliant Muika! & I love the photos! i guess it would be worth going there after a decent amount of snowfall, knowing that you're probably going to get lots of untracked pow to play in even if the courses aren't much to write home about!

That's brilliant Muika! & I love the photos! i guess it would be worth going there after a decent amount of snowfall, knowing that you're probably going to get lots of untracked pow to play in even if the courses aren't much to write home about!

I suppose there is that Mick.

Thing is, weekdays pretty much everywhere is really quiet. Maiko across the way usually offers tons of untouched, and is way bigger.

I suppose on a weekend maybe....

Clutching for straws here! ;)

I'm sure the owners are grateful for your help! Actually, come to think of it, you might now be their only form of marketing!! :lol:

This place is now on my must-visit list.

Perhaps an SJ gathering could be arranged?

Now there's an idea! :thumbsup: Let's go before it closes forever!!!!!

• Like 1

That was really interesting, muikabochi, and great images as well.

Looks really weird with all those collapsed buildings up there, looks like a half-dead but still open walking wounded skijo!

Would be interesting to hear more of the story.

Love the pics Muika. The theme fits the scenery. Looks like WWII era photos.

You can almost hear.....Carpe.....Carpe Diem, boys........coming from the derelect buildings... ala Dead Poets. :lol:

Spooky.