After coming to Japan. There are some brands that I have never heard off. Kissmark is one of them. stuff like flow, Yonex (for boards), and other japanese brands I have never heard of.

Just out of curiousity (and convience) I bought a kissmark board to try out. Definitely better then my old old airwalk board. But how good is it compare to other stuff? anyone have opinions? about their construction, materials, quality, whatever?

thanks \:D

I'd be interested to know too. Some of their clothing looks OK, and they are trying new things with boots and bindings. It seems to work for the many Japanese who use it.

Might be worth asking on the Japanese forum...

Quote:
Originally posted by mogski:
Tachyon you certainly are an interesting one aren't you.

Buy the gear and then ask what it's like afterward?

I am a skier cool.gif so I can be of little help.
:p ... what can I say.... I am an impulse buyer? confused.gif ;\)

Actually, after hunting for 2 months in Gifu / Nagoya area, I ended up just grabbing the first thing I see that fits me. Try finding US size 12 boots and a 165+ board in Japan!!!

I think all the savings I got ended up paying for transportation costs of the multiple times I get around looking and checking different stuff....

Man,... got to move back to Vancouver,Canada \:D

Um, my mama once told me if you ain`t got something good to say, don`t say anything at all. I`ll try to stay quiet on this subject. All I can tell you is just take a good look around you next time you hit the slopes and you`ll quickly find out what type of people in general use Kissmark&the attitude in general other boarders have toward Kissmark users. \:\) Not flaming you or anything...

SnoboYaro:

No problem, flame away. I rather be in the know then the stupid gajin walking around. I dont think I am at the level to crticize different aspect or brands of boards yet, so please do the honors for me \:D

yeah Yaro, let it rip. I have seen a lot of users of k-mark seem to be a) girls with a toy board etc to look good. B) dunno.

As the other guy said, I am also a little new to have an opinion about this and that. So please, serve it up.

\:\)

Well, I`m no snowboard expert so I can`t really give you a run down on the differences in quality/construction between, let`s say Forum and Kissmark. But I`m definitely not alone when I say this Kissmark brand is not perceived anywhere close as being "cool" in the eyes of most serious boarders here. As db has observed, people that choose Kissmark(or ketsu maku as many Japanese would call it)are usually the teenie bopperish/immature looking yeah-I-am-a-snowboarder-too-look-at-me wannabe poser types who have no true intention of pursuing the sport(e.g. I board...I go with my friends twice a season/we got to the ski area at 11am...let`s take a 2hr lunch break). It`s all too clearly another case of wanting to be "fashionable" in the Land of the Rising Sun. If you go through the list of famous Japanese boarders it`s almost impossible to find someone who`d actually claim ketsu maku as one of his sponsors. Yeah, the commercial looks great("Real Snowboard Gear"...my friends and I roll on the floor laughing everytime we hear that slogan), the design quite flashy(who can miss them big, fat lips coming at you?!)but that`s where the attraction ends. Have you noticed Kissmark is sold exclusively through Alpen(at not so modest prices)and the majority of their boards is the step-in kind(not that the concept of step-in itself is necessarily bad)? Just exactly how many pros you know prefer step-ins? It`s obvious the company is targeting toward them causual, it`s-a-fashion crowd(mendokusai! dekinai! I can hear them whining now). Anyway, that`s my view on Kissmark, but remember you guys forced me to say them undesirable words! :p Once again nothin` against you personally man...just keep riding and you may just find yourself wanting to get away from it soon.

Japanese brands tend to be well constructed compared to others (my opinion) but men!, their graphics, names (esp. uyoku like names) are really baaad! (ie: Yakuza Kaimikaze Kicks) The only JPN brand I like is Gentem Sticks for their quality, strategy, and target market (except their price).

Quote:
Originally posted by db:
man yobo, you are a miserable grump. just go out and have fun.
Okay, perhaps I`ve been a bit grumpy lately...but with a perfectly good reason. I shall try to de-grump myself when I set foot on Tazawako ski resort tomorrow! \:\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
Just the name turns me off. I ski would have know idea. That name wont sell over seas.
Are you sure? I predict boarders in Utah would be all over boards with a name like kissmark! \:D

A Kissmark sponsored Japanese lady pro got into the Olympic halfpipe contest at SLC. Riding a Kissmark board presumably.

I got my first and only skis at Alpen ten years ago. They weren't an Alpen brand, but they were cheap and I had a lot of fun on them. I probably didn't have the courage to go into a "pro shop" at that time. It isn't easy to go somewhere full of expensive gear and say "I'm learning how to do a stem turn and want a full setup 40,000 max".

I reckon you'll be alright with your Kissmark board. If it's better than the Airwalk, then there can't be much wrong with it.

BTW, I've asked the Japanese forum what they think of Kissmark. Unfortunately the pace of posting on there isn't nearly as fast as here yet.

Ocean:

Thanks man,... it would be interesting to see responses from them.

Yeah, I figure it wasnt a "serious" brand. But hey, I had fun while learning hard with it, thats what matters. I didnt get kissmark bindings and boots through, they dont have the highback styles I wanted. Got myself a pair of cheap cheap Ride Orion boots and Ride bindings instead.

Next time you see a fat ass Asian looking gajin flying through the trees with a kissmark board, dont forget to say hi to me ! \:D

P.S. haha... you guys think that Nake Girl board is bad?...God,.... should check out mine,..... I am looking all over for big stickers to patch up the ugly "funky head" graphics on it....

Quote:
Originally posted by SnoboYaro:
Kissmark brand is not perceived anywhere close as being "cool" in the eyes of most serious boarders here. As db has observed, people that choose Kissmark(or ketsu maku as many Japanese would call it)are usually the teenie bopperish/immature looking yeah-I-am-a-snowboarder-too-look-at-me wannabe poser types who have no true intention of pursuing the sport.
Sounds like Forum.

I no nothing about Kissmark but I was checking out a Yonex board at a shop the other day and was pretty impressed. I can't remember the model name (barok?) but it was a 159 and the top model out of the 3 on the shelf. Pretty stiff and good shape. I would like to demo one.

There was some talk a long time ago, but does anyone know about any demo days (other than alpine) coming up at Nagano area resorts?