Aghhhh my feet are killing me..... Customizing Boots.....

Mainly punching out the shell around the big toes to allow them room to breathe. She couldn't walk for two days, let alone ski. Very bruised and red. Still needs a little more, and now we're up in Furano bootfitters are a little harder to source.

Grazza, if you don't mind me asking why was such boot surgery required during the ski trip? Did you buy the boots new there or were they fitted poorly when you bought them?

I ask because a travel companion (first time boot buyer) spent a lot of money fully kitting up prior to this trip, and had some rather expensive boots "professionally fitted"...with the end result of boot fitters here spending a lot of time trying to make them fit her, not charging her as they were unable to, and her hiring boots that were very comfortable. She was sold boots that were at least half a size too small and was convinced by the fitter that they needed to be that tight. Opinion here is that the brand she was sold were a narrow fit and totally inappropriate for her feet. It is disappointing when you don't have the knowledge, and seek out professional assistance, spend the money required, and end up worse off than if you had hired in the first place.

Grazza, if you don't mind me asking why was such boot surgery required during the ski trip? Did you buy the boots new there or were they fitted poorly when you bought them?

I ask because a travel companion (first time boot buyer) spent a lot of money fully kitting up prior to this trip, and had some rather expensive boots "professionally fitted"...with the end result of boot fitters here spending a lot of time trying to make them fit her, not charging her as they were unable to, and her hiring boots that were very comfortable. She was sold boots that were at least half a size too small and was convinced by the fitter that they needed to be that tight. Opinion here is that the brand she was sold were a narrow fit and totally inappropriate for her feet. It is disappointing when you don't have the knowledge, and seek out professional assistance, spend the money required, and end up worse off than if you had hired in the first place.

That is terrible. I have spent a lot of money on custom footbeds, boot work, etc. Stance and alignment are also important, and good bootfitters can work some serious magic to let skiers reach their full potential rather than having the boots hold them back.

Most first time boot buyers purchase a half size or full size too large because they are "comfortable". That means after a week of skiing, they become slightly loose and sloppy. That is why the bootfitter will shell size the foot without the liner inside. Of course, choosing the correct boot for the foot width is essential. One bootfitter even had me go out and purchase boots that the shop did not carry, and then proceeded to do the required work to get them to fit perfectly.

Thank goodness for those slippers at the Japanese lodges and restaurants on hill!

Spent a lot of money and time at big name ski shop in Sydney getting the best quality, custom footbeds, the works. Had lots of adjustments last season at Niseko to make things bearable for her. Then day two this trip she has a half day lesson, skis hard and a little differently technique wise and her right big toe ends up looking like it's been hit with a hammer. Could bearly walk the next day, then had a few days R&R in Kyoto to let the major bruising subside a little.

Skiing here at Furano was bearable but painful, and we've just had the boots further adjusted here by a local guy (Mino Sports) who was a bit worrying but seems to have done a decent job. Tomorrow will tell, but her bruising on both big toes is still so sore that it will be hard for her to tell if it's really fixed.

The guy at hakuba told us that the boots she had been sold at great expense from the reputable Sydney shop (let's name the bastards - Larry Adler) were completely wrong for her and had nowhere near enough width in the toe for her foot shape. Who can you trust in this? Personally, I've never had a remotely good experience with ski boot fitters, one of the main reasons I switched to the blissful comfort of boarding. They all seem to promise the world and completely under deliver. They're still f@@king my holidays though. Shoot them all, I say.

The guy at hakuba told us that the boots she had been sold at great expense from the reputable Sydney shop (let's name the bastards - Larry Adler) were completely wrong for her and had nowhere near enough width in the toe for her foot shape. Who can you trust in this? Personally, I've never had a remotely good experience with ski boot fitters, one of the main reasons I switched to the blissful comfort of boarding. They all seem to promise the world and completely under deliver. They're still f@@king my holidays though. Shoot them all, I say.

Not sure if it s the same place or not, it WAS Sydney though. She has ducked off for a few days in the UK before coming back for more ski fun, I will ask her. Did you ever go back to the shop to complain...? We are trying to convince her to. If you are buying your 6th pair of ski boots I reckon you would know enough not to be fitted badly, but when it is your first pair you are very much at the mercy of the fitter aren't you...

I need to buy new snowboard boots really soon, and I know enough that I am totally nervous about making the wrong choice! LOL

I bought a snowboard at Adler in Sydney. The guy was pretty good. He sold me a Rome Vinyl. It´s meant to be a girls model but on that years model, the graphics isn´t girly so I´m cool about it. As a matter of fact, I´m stoked he recommended my that one.

Boot fitting is a tricky business. There are boots that fit wider feet, others fit narrower feet.

If a customer insists on a particular model ...

If the shop assistant assures they can be fitted by customising ... :shifty: these are bad senarios

Not sure if it s the same place or not, it WAS Sydney though. She has ducked off for a few days in the UK before coming back for more ski fun, I will ask her. Did you ever go back to the shop to complain...? We are trying to convince her to. If you are buying your 6th pair of ski boots I reckon you would know enough not to be fitted badly, but when it is your first pair you are very much at the mercy of the fitter aren't you...

I need to buy new snowboard boots really soon, and I know enough that I am totally nervous about making the wrong choice! LOL

Haven't been back to complain... yet. Even on your sixth pair of boots, you're still in a position of having to trust someone's professional opinion, without really having much idea of their professionalism. If you had 50 boots worth of experience, maybe you'd know enough to be your own bootfitter.

One problem I see is the limited range of brands that Aus shops carry. If they only have two or three brands, there's not much variety in fit options. And with the fitting fee that most want to charge you, there's a real push to get you in a pair of boots no matter what.

Here's what I'd like - independent bootfitters who assessed your feet, told you which were the best boots to buy, and fitted them for you when you bought them.

Mamabear, I am finding the world of snowboard boots a lot easier. But the issue with the limited range and fitting fee is bigger here. Shop think that you don't buy their boots after trying on because you're going to do it online. In reality, I like to try on as many boots as I can, research them on the web (shop assistants often don't know their range very well) and then buy. Most shops think I'm ripping them off when I walk out without buying after 30 minutes trying on boots, but hell they're my feet and want them right.

Jynxx, don't think that was Adlers. They're pretty exclusively ski.

Can´t remember ... It was on Pitt Street. There are a few on that street for sure.

As for boots, snowboard or ski, different brands have different sizing, too.

Considering that, I don´t like to replace my boots just because the lining gets packed.

I bought a snowboard at Adler in Sydney. The guy was pretty good. He sold me a Rome Vinyl. It´s meant to be a girls model but on that years model, the graphics isn´t girly so I´m cool about it. As a matter of fact, I´m stoked he recommended my that one.

Boot fitting is a tricky business. There are boots that fit wider feet, others fit narrower feet.

If a customer insists on a particular model ...

If the shop assistant assures they can be fitted by customising ... :shifty: these are bad senarios

do you wear a skirt and put on some lippy when riding this board? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So, I ordered a pair of Boa wires that are shorter for my missus´ Van Encore single Boa

Strung them only on the upper part of the boot so they tighten the ankles and not the width of the feet.

Success ! Missus reckons they are much more comfty. :friend:

Probably won´t need any laces on the lower section.

We were trying to sell the pair after she wore it for 5 days.

Problem solved !