• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again BA proves how horrid a carrier they are...not worth getting into but the sharp pointy virtual pen of the enraged Mamabear will be working away furiously in complaint to both BA and Qantas at what total crap they are as 'full service' carriers, and our loyalty shall be heading elsewhere.

Sadly Cattle Class as our points upgrades have not come through. At least the longest stretch...Heathrow to Singapore is in fancy cattle (premium economy). And the Zurich Heathrow leg was only available in economy. It is just the Sing-Perth I am gutted about.

Survived the train journey, and have got rid of the heavy bags, enjoying a preflight aperitif (can anyone say Booze Hag...lol), first flight is a piece of cake, crappy cake, but simple none the less. Catch ya on the flip side. Hopefully with a full report and pics before long!

Seemore... Fireworks LOL. I think I will spend Australia Day in the pool sobbing about how hot it is!

Once again BA proves how horrid a carrier they are...not worth getting into but the sharp pointy virtual pen of the enraged Mamabear will be working away furiously in complaint to both BA and Qantas at what total crap they are as 'full service' carriers, and our loyalty shall be heading elsewhere

Sadly, the problem there Mamabear is that they really don't give much of a shit.

I suppose the only satisfaction will be coming from venting your frustration to them.

Fancy cattle did the trick, got a heap of sleep. Looks like this next leg is confirmed cattle, unless there is a no show, and it is delayed...so fat chance of that. Arrive Perth 3am, won't be home before 4am. Gotta leave home at 8am to take the kids to training so I doubt I will sleep.

Oh... Did I fail to mention that I am looking down the barrel of an entire week at 40c or above? Holy Melting Snow Batman!

Somehow, after 4, 5 years of missing out on Aussie summer, I really miss and look forward to the stinking hot days ..

Provided there is a southerly blowing at the end of the day or, a thunder storm with a shower ...

I wonder that myself GN.

Air conditioning and January ski trips are the answer.

PB and I talked about that this trip, and the bottom line is we have a large business here, and family roots - which are very important to us. And the kids education to complete.

However we have been throwing around the idea of semi retirement in about 10 yrs time where we live 3 months of each year in the snow (and that would be the nasty hot months!).

(Mamabear rising from her air conditioned bed, where the entire day has been spent!)

MB, you and I think alike - I'm hoping for one 3 places - home in Perth, a winter jolly in Thredbo, and a northern hemisphere jolly - hopefully willspend around 4-6 months a year in snow!
Maybe if we get Northern Hemi Jollys in different places we can do a house swap every once in a while to mix it up?!

MB, you and I think alike - I'm hoping for one 3 places - home in Perth, a winter jolly in Thredbo, and a northern hemisphere jolly - hopefully willspend around 4-6 months a year in snow!
Maybe if we get Northern Hemi Jollys in different places we can do a house swap every once in a while to mix it up?!

nahhhh, my house is going to be SOOOOOO much nicer than yours!! LOL

Tubby Perth has a climate very similar to the Mediteranean. Long, hot and dry summers with short, mild and wet winters. High pressure dominates central Australia for much of the year (hence it's mostly desert) and in summer the winds hitting the west coast of WA mostly come from out of these deserts. The only real relief for coastal towns is the occassional sea breeze in the afternoon. Not bad for a holiday I guess if you're a bit sun starved but I couldn't handle it month after month after month. It is very dry heat though and almost easier to handle than the stifling heat and humidity that occurs over much of Honshu in summer (which I couldn't handle well either).

I'm situated about as south as you can get on the Aussie mainland, only about an hour drive and we can be down near the southern most point. Here the weather is much more variable than in the west in summer. Here we are on the other side of the high pressure system and the winds swing around from NW (hot) to SW (cool) and back again frequently as cold fronts move through the SE. Where we are right on the coast at the southern end of the state we get sea breezes a lot earlier than much of the rest of the state. A week or so ago for instance they got up to 45 degrees in the north of the state but we only got to 34 degrees. Then it cooled off again as a cold front moved through. I've actually found the summer here to be more comfortable than even what we experienced in Hokkaido as it's less humid and the nights get a lot cooler. Have only used the aircon in our house once for about 5 hours so far this summer.

My aunt used to live in Adelaide (she's moved up to Qld) and when I was in Oz a few years back we spent a fair bit of time at different points of the year there. Summer was bakingly hot.....often 40 degrees and slightly above. Winter was nice during the day but was cold enough that they had to use a wood burning stove for heat. Houses there tended to be like here, very little insulation (that i was aware of) and no double glazing. I managed to travel around all of Oz and actually preferred the dry desert heat to the humid heat that Qld gets. Working in the banana fields of Qld on a sunny, humid day is a tad taxing!! :D Where are you GN, Victoria?

The summer's here are horribly humid, but actually I don't mind them so much. Sure that sweaty feeling is never nice, but I like that I'm next to the beach, that its sunny and warm for 8 months of the year and of course (in the north anyway) nice n snowy in winter. If only I could convince my mrs to move to the snow zone, life would be complete.....nice n warm in summer and white powder goodness in winter

I have lived in coastal Victoria, coastal New South Wales and now in Coastal South East Quensland - Seems to be a trend there? oh yes it's the surf.

Anyway the climate here is superb for all but around 6 weeks of the year - mid Jan through February when it's humid wet & sticky. The rest of the year makes up for it and 3-4 weeks in Japan in Feb taked the edge off.

Don't envy you with the current sweltering conditions MB thogh I know WA has many good points - have to say that, my sister-in-law lives there

I have lived in coastal Victoria, coastal New South Wales and now in Coastal South East Quensland - Seems to be a trend there? oh yes it's the surf.

Anyway the climate here is superb for all but around 6 weeks of the year - mid Jan through February when it's humid wet & sticky. The rest of the year makes up for it and 3-4 weeks in Japan in Feb taked the edge off.

Don't envy you with the current sweltering conditions MB thogh I know WA has many good points - have to say that, my sister-in-law lives there

Agreed. But it is beginning to lose its edge nowadays... Housing is difficult to find and unaffordable, streets are not as safe as they once were, and our traffic jams are now a daily occurrence rather than a novelty... I won't be annoyed if my kids decide to settle elsewhere. I mean, I can get a 4 bedroom house in Chamonix for the same price as a bedsit flat in my surrounding suburbs!

Happy Australia Day

Was down the beach last night at 7:30 for a swim and lovely walk only 36Deg.

I will be there again today scored some good waves on Tuesday surfing in my boardies.

Air Con works well it's only for a week every year that we get these high temps.

The best thing about Perth is the beautiful Spring and Autumn days with no wind Summer and Winter should be devoted for traveling Indo in Winter and Japan in Summer.

Seemore