• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if I had the money then not, as I would like a sliding compound miter saw, but that Fury 3 is a good model and solid.

Do you have one? What brand would you recommend? Am getting fed up using my circular saw.

It's basically like a 3 inch diameter kerf blade that is layed on its side in the jointer tool. Similar to a dowel jig you line up the centers of the two pieces you are joining and cut a circular kerf in both pieces. Unlike dowels though there is a little bit of sideways play for perfect alignment. The biscuit has the same kerf profile and width and are made of a wood byproduct which swells when glued. Actually they REALLY swell up....I have to keep dessicant sheets in air tight jars to keep them from going wonky.

It's a very strong joint with way more gluing surface area than many traditional joints and no holes or traces of joinery.

Is it stronger than dowel joint? I've made a couple small bits of furniture with dowel joints, which was more of a pain than I was expecting. (Probably having no proper tools didn't help.)

Got a few more projects that have been languishing on the to-do list for a while... Hmm.

I would say yes but either done right and they are very sturdy. Dowels suck unless you have a specific drilling guide (jig) but they are cheap. Biscuits are great but the jointers run upwards of around $300...

It's basically like a 3 inch diameter kerf blade that is layed on its side in the jointer tool. Similar to a dowel jig you line up the centers of the two pieces you are joining and cut a circular kerf in both pieces. Unlike dowels though there is a little bit of sideways play for perfect alignment. The biscuit has the same kerf profile and width and are made of a wood byproduct which swells when glued. Actually they REALLY swell up....I have to keep dessicant sheets in air tight jars to keep them from going wonky.

It's a very strong joint with way more gluing surface area than many traditional joints and no holes or traces of joinery.

Is it stronger than dowel joint? I've made a couple small bits of furniture with dowel joints, which was more of a pain than I was expecting. (Probably having no proper tools didn't help.)

Got a few more projects that have been languishing on the to-do list for a while... Hmm.

I would say yes but either done right and they are very sturdy. Dowels suck unless you have a specific drilling guide (jig) but they are cheap. Biscuits are great but the jointers run upwards of around $300...

Well, yes, that is what I discovered. :ashamed: Maybe a dowel jig would be a cheaper solution than getting into biscuit joiners, though.

MIJ....I've heard mixed reviews of the evolution tools....really hit and miss on set up and reliability. I have no experience with them. I bought a crappy HomeTool 310mm slide a few summers ago as a "get the job done and junk it" when I was helping a friend build his huge sundeck. We were cutting Ipe which is rock hard material which kills tools. Surprisingly, it survived....bought a few new blades and it's still going....and it's pretty accurate....go figure. One of these days a Makita or Hitachi might be in order... ;)

Also, ....if I haven't posted before.....check out Off Corporation for getting all the goodies in Japan.

Well I need one after today;s debacle.

Went down to D2 to pick up some 2 by 4, and wanted it cut. Thought about doing it at home; however, ten lengths needed to be cut, and it costs 30yen a cut at D2. So told the guy I wanted 200mm cut off, and he stuck all ten lengths in the machine at one go. Brilliant, 30yen for a 10min job done in 15sec.

Got home, ready to assemble a table top, turns out the guy cut too much off, rather than 200mm, he cut 230mm off. ****.

• 2 weeks later...

75206_10151171824078299_1722896763_n.jpg

Finished table and book shelf.

Am very happy with how it turned out. Now to build a bench to sit on, and next a shed.

Chriselle - looking at 2 x 2 for the frame, and going to creosote it.

Any thoughts?

2x2 for what ...and creosote for what? Unless you are putting raw posts in concrete in the ground...like a fence, using rail road ties or building a dock with pilings....creosote is way overkill. Also, what materials were you thinking of using? Nice job on the table BTW....how bout some clearer pictures eh? ;)

Looking at 2x2 for the frame work as the shed isn't going to be too large.

Long side is about 2000mm, two sides, one of 800mm and the other of 500mm, with the other long side being split into two, of 1800mm and another one I have forgotten. Height will be about 1850mm, not including the roof.

Or do you think 2x4 would be better?

Going for some pressure treated wood, from Shin-Kiba. :D

The cheapo sheds I've seen at home centers in the UK were built with a 2x2 frame and braced by the siding, which was about 10mm thick and had rabbet (rabbet bunny bunny) joints. They wouldn't withstand much snow loading here, but that's not a problem in the UK.

If saving money is a priority, just use OSB.

The cheapo sheds I've seen at home centers in the UK were built with a 2x2 frame and braced by the siding, which was about 10mm thick and had rabbet (rabbet bunny bunny) joints. They wouldn't withstand much snow loading here, but that's not a problem in the UK.

If saving money is a priority, just use OSB.

That sounds exactly like the shed we have now. Falling apart after two years, but the frame isn't even 2x2. More like 1x1, if that.

Snows not a problem in Kanagawa either but just do it right......it doesn't cost much more. Go with 2x4's for the bottom and top plates and king studs...corners and door area. 2x2's for the common wall studs. 1x4's for the roof joists and 1x2's for the cross braces. PTL is a good idea for sure especially where it's meeting your foundation. You could even hang a vapour barrier but that's pretty much just an excuse to break out the air stapler.... ;) For the flooring you could use PTL but quality exterior grade plywood should work fine. The sides I would do in cedar (white or red) shiplap. The roof is the problem...1/2 inch sheathing, paper, and shingles probably for me. Sounds like a fun build.