I've made ceder patio chair furniture before but not indoor chairs. It's a niche specialty that never really appealed to me despite the fact I use a lathe everyday in my work. I equate chair building to boat building or building a cedar strip canoe. Lots of respect for those who do it but certainly not on my bucket list of things to build.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up some stuff from a mate last weekend: wood, drawer slides, and a Kreg pocket hole jig.

That thing is amazing!

But knowing you Chriselle, you probably have one already, right? ;)

Picked up some stuff from a mate last weekend: wood, drawer slides, and a Kreg pocket hole jig.

That thing is amazing!

But knowing you Chriselle, you probably have one already, right? ;)

Actually MIJ, I don't have one although I've though about getting one quite a few times. I have a nice biscuit jointer and a lifetime supply of different sized biscuits so the odd time I do simple butt joints the biscuit route works well. I use a dowel jig from time to time, too. My dad has the full size Kreg jig and ya...it's a good and dead easy way to framing.

Edit...here's a sample vid..

So, what are going to be slapping together with the Kreg MIJ?

Got a computer table that is ready to go. All wood has been cut, sanded and stained.

Umbrella stand is also ready to be constructed. A new shed is also in order; however, that is a major project coming.

Looking at either getting a compound miter saw at some point, after order a random orbital sander. I used an regular electric sander and found there to be "patterns" to the sanding.

It's basically like a 3 inch diameter kerf blade that is layed on its side in the jointer tool. Similar to a dowel jig you line up the centers of the two pieces you are joining and cut a circular kerf in both pieces. Unlike dowels though there is a little bit of sideways play for perfect alignment. The biscuit has the same kerf profile and width and are made of a wood byproduct which swells when glued. Actually they REALLY swell up....I have to keep dessicant sheets in air tight jars to keep them from going wonky.

It's a very strong joint with way more gluing surface area than many traditional joints and no holes or traces of joinery.

It's basically like a 3 inch diameter kerf blade that is layed on its side in the jointer tool. Similar to a dowel jig you line up the centers of the two pieces you are joining and cut a circular kerf in both pieces. Unlike dowels though there is a little bit of sideways play for perfect alignment. The biscuit has the same kerf profile and width and are made of a wood byproduct which swells when glued. Actually they REALLY swell up....I have to keep dessicant sheets in air tight jars to keep them from going wonky.

It's a very strong joint with way more gluing surface area than many traditional joints and no holes or traces of joinery.

Is it stronger than dowel joint? I've made a couple small bits of furniture with dowel joints, which was more of a pain than I was expecting. (Probably having no proper tools didn't help.)

Got a few more projects that have been languishing on the to-do list for a while... Hmm.