• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK...Man in Japan... here are few pics..

My big Bosch router....The Hitachi M12 is out in the truck box and I'm too lazy to go dig it out... :p

DSC00098.jpg

The router table and old drill press..

DSC00111.jpg

A few handy tools....huge Makita power planer, biscuit joiner, brad nailer, random orbital sander, and a couple trimmers

DSC00109.jpg

sliding compound mitre saw

DSC00104.jpg

Vacuum and air cleaner..

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

Chriselle, do Makita still make quality machinery?

Years ago back when I was building, before I started my timber yard, Makita gear was the 'bees knees" here in OZ. They were not cheap but had agreat record for reliability & toughness.

Now I see them in the Mega Hardware barns here at ridicuosly cheap prices So cheap it seems as if they are just use a few times and throw away items.

What's the story there.

Impressive collection of gear you have above BTW ( says snowjunky now barking like Tim The Tool man)

Love DIY, always making something when I got time, and repair things around the house!

I usually go to CAINZ home centre for most of my stuff, D2 is ok but limited choice and not as cheap!

If you live in the Chiba, Saitama areas you should check out JOYFUL Honda it is a massive DIY centre that has everything you can think of. I went to one once, sorry forgot where and it was 4-5 times bigger than the biggest cainz!

Thanks Snowjunky....ar..ar...ar... ;) Makita makes good stuff...for the most part...some are overpriced and lower quality but in general...good. The thing is though a lot of the other companies have caught up to their quality. In Japan, Hitachi is on par in a lot of tools and Ryobi isn't too bad either.

Basically, it depends on the tool. For example, I like Makita's impact driver/drills, sliding mitre saws, but hate their routers and shit excuses for table saws. Hitachi, Ryobi, Porter Cable, Delta, Grizzly, DeWalt......and so on.. all have their strong points.

For higher quality tools and tools they don't carry at the DIY centers.....those of you in Japan should check out OFF Corporation on line.

Remember...."There's nothing more expensive than cheap tools"....although I do have my fair share. ;)

so my 100 yen Daiso screwdrivers and saw is sub-standard you say?

Haha.....Actually, although they're crap pot metal they work just fine for 99% of the uses around the house. I have a bunch of them. :thumbsup:

Finished my boys' toy box, and some things I have learnt are:

1) DIY is actually fun;

2) Making things needs planning but I kind of knew that in the first place;

3) Making mortise and tenon joints with a chisel is ****ing hard work and

4) There is a great sense of pride once you have finished something. :D

Haha.... I prefer "wood-rat" thank you very much.. ;)

Electronics otaku hang out in Akihabara. Wood rats (like me) hang out in Shin Kiba.. :thumbsup:

Mmm Shin Kiba. Mahogony. Oak. Walnut...

Ok , ordered the trimmer Chriselle - don't think I will need a big router like the one you have. Well not yet anyways.

Was talking with my dad about it, and he though a decent jigsaw with a trimmer would be enough for the moment, then get some DIY course done with routers, mitre saws and joinery done before moving onto the big boy stuff. :D

Got some plans up to make a dining room table, perhaps a tea leaf style, as well. Debating whether to use a biscuit joiner, or dowelling with a dowelling jig. Decisions decisions.

Sounds good MIJ. I'm still not in agreement with the jig saw idea though. Even with a fence the blade wanders just a hair. Essentially, a jig saw is a poor mans handy version of a bandsaw. And bandsaws don't cut perfectly straight nor are the designed to. For the same price go for a decent skill saw with a good blade. You can easily make a fence of any length and your cuts will be laser straight and clean. I cut big sheet plywood this way and it works well. No disrespect to your dad and all.

That's ok - I did suggest a circular saw, to which he laughed at. He said one would be necessary for cutting large sheets of wood.

It's on my list of things to buy, but I currently have a hacksaw with a small jig I made last weekend of various angles, and wood sizes up to 40mm.

Lethal yes..... again careful, shit can go awry in a very short time at 24,000 rpm....haha. If you get a catch with a trimmer it can really kick and freak you out.

Adventually, it will happen... :omg: . It's not as dramatic as a table saw kick back but it'll get your heart pumping. :lol:

Haha, for 11k its a bloody impressive tool. Already got plans to make mortise/tenon joints, some nice tables and other things. :D

Chrisele - have you ever made chairs before?