What do things cost in Japan?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound good to be doing something you love GN & Mrs GN especially in a relatively laid back spot like Inverloch

Do you have someone look after the business when you are in Japan?

Nice one GN........I'd love to be in the same position, having a job that I truly loved and enjoyed........teaching english to Junior and Senior High school girls just doesn't cut the mustard!! :lol:

The irony of course tubby is that although I've finally at the age of 40 found work I really enjoy it's unfortunately not in the country I'd like to live in. Can't have it all I guess....

To be realistic, though GN, you need to look at wage rates as well as absolute costs of things.

A car here can cost somewhere between half an annual wage and 2 or 3 times, depending on what you want to buy. A Suzuki Jimny, for example is around half the average annual wage, new. But a Mercedes can be 3 times.

I get really cranky when people start comparing the cost of things across countries without taking the wage structure into account. Absolute values mean nothing!

Edit: This post was in reference to a much earlier post by GN.

Edited by JA

Do you have someone look after the business when you are in Japan?

The wife of course! (plus we have some staff ;) )

Ha, the wives of my 3 mates that I go to Japan with and my wife have formed a group called the Ski Widows Club. They have their own trip away, last year it was the Gold Coast (3 are from Sydney) and the year before it was China

Maybe Mrs GN might like an application form? :stir:

I get really cranky when people start comparing the cost of things across countries without taking the wage structure into account. Absolute values mean nothing!

Edit: This post was in reference to a much earlier post by GN.

Taking into consideration the "wage structure" as you call it of japan has absolutely no impact on a foreigner coming into japan for holiday.

You earn your money in Australia for example and spend it in japan and all you want to know is how much is a can of coke. The next thing you know you have made some guy on the internet "really cranky" lol.

Relax brother.

Sure JA people in Aus earn more money as I pointed out and god they seem to love spending it on things like expensive cars. My main point though is Japan is not expensive for Aussies anymore. There is still a perception amongst what I'd think is a majority of Australians though that Japan is an expensive country to travel to or live in. Sure at the height of the bubble years that was definitely true but now after 20 years or so of a receeding or stagnant economy in Japan and a pretty vibrant and growing economy in Aus I'd say the tables have really turned. I reckon Japanese tourists coming to Aus would leave pretty shocked at the cost of things here. I guess it's evidenced by the fact that in the bubble years the Japanese were buying up huge amounts of prime real estate in Aus and in recent years Aussies have been buying up plenty of prime real estate (skiing real estate) in Japan.

its definitely expensive to live in the Tokyo-Yokohama met area........a lot more than what it appears you were able to live on up in Niseko. Some of the prices for apartments in Tokyo and to a lesser extent Yokohama are extortionate.

Spirits are dirt cheap. I was buying wild turkey 101 and it was about AU$22 as opposed to AU$60. Dont buy duty free spirits in aus as they are cheaper in your local seicomart when you land.

Ohayo Gozaimasu,

Please allow me to dumb it down for you. "Local seicomart when you land". There are no local seicomarts when you land. You land at airports. Capish?

I can handle a bit of heckling, its actually fun but that guy just does not make sense.

It's not straight forward as you can see from the above example. Your best approach would be to put me on "ignore". Now please go and find that magnificent feature.

Please allow me to dumb it down for you. "Local seicomart when you land". There are no local seicomarts when you land. You land at airports. Capish?

While you are techincally correct most people would have understood what I meant.

It's not straight forward as you can see from the above example. Your best approach would be to put me on "ignore". Now please go and find that magnificent feature.

I probably didn't mention this before but I can see things other people cant see, I am getting a strong vision from you.

You are an awkward fellow, like to pick on others as long as they cannot get to you. You don't play well, never shared your toys as a kid. You are socially insecure, you had a girlfriend once, about 15 years ago. You live with your mother and often become aggressive toward her over the smallest things. As an outcast in society your only outlet is the internet where you like to find a tiny detail in the postings of the other people (who you assume live normal lives therefore you despise them) and standing on your moral high ground you bring them to their knees with your posts of fury destroying them from within and making them question their internet posting capabilities.

The fact is you come off as a dick. Say hi to your mum for me!