Do You Wear a Helmet For Snowsports?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear a helmet for snowsports?

• Yes always
    • Yes sometimes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you thnk they should be compulsory?

• Yes
    • Yes but only for school groups
    • No

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To be honest, i think some of you are overplaying the disruption to a) your field of vision, and the lack of ambient sound by wearing a helmet. Lets forget that i wrote "non safety reasons whatsoeve

Wore my helmet yesterday and thankfully glad I did.   Was coming down the main slope on the east slope of joestu kokusai and a skiier came across and clattered in to me and I took a hefty tumble, hi

No one would or could argue that wearing a helmet is not a somewhat safer option could they? I honestly couldn't care less if people wear them for whatever reason they choose. I don't care if it makes

I always wear a helmet. originally because it was warm....didn't fit right, didn't feel right...but....

Have since had enough crashes including one serious whiplash crash after launching off a compression into a jump on a race course that left me dazed even with the helmet. Result is that I believe its far better to have the cushion of a helmet, than not, between my noggin and any hard surface of any kind.

I don't look cool in it but am too old to care any more and hope to continue skiing and get even older while doing so.

As most have said though, it should be personal choice, or a decision/requirement of whichever coaching, training, or camp setup you care to take (taken the Dave Murray camp in Whistler 15+ times I think and believe it is mandatory but not 100% certain)....love the camp and more than wiling to wear the helmet to take it.

Every time I wore a helmet I ended up hitting shit left and right. I'm a very aggressive rider; If I wear a helmet I tend to shrink the margin of error which puts me on even more risk on tree runs.

Yamabushi

Have you been out yet wheres the footage?

Every time I wore a helmet I ended up hitting shit left and right. I'm a very aggressive rider; If I wear a helmet I tend to shrink the margin of error which puts me on even more risk on tree runs.

Yamabushi

Have you been out yet wheres the footage?

Been to Tomamu and Furano with the family! Got a half a decent clip through the trees but I need to find my groove before I can go at full speed.

Tomorrow Saturday I’m going to pick up my Hakkoda season pass. I always have this irrational fear that while wearing the temporary pass I will hurt myself and finish my season right there.

I am naturally a cautious person, and wearing a helmet has helped me to relax and open up a bit where I might otherwise hang back a bit (while maintaining control of course ;) )

I can definitely see how it might not be such a good thing if you are a naturally aggressive rider though.

i think it's something like putting on your seatbelt when you drive, after putting on my seat belt for years, i find that i can't drive with ease if my seatbelts not on! people buckle up for safety just in of a major accident that they hope will never happen. so why shouldn't you wear a helmet for a head injury that you hope will never happen?

i think it's something like putting on your seatbelt when you drive, after putting on my seat belt for years, i find that i can't drive with ease if my seatbelts not on! people buckle up for safety just in of a major accident that they hope will never happen. so why shouldn't you wear a helmet for a head injury that you hope will never happen?

As stated because unlike a seat belt, for me a helmet raises the likelihood I would take a tree to the chest or break an arm in four places. At the speeds I go through the trees the helmet will do little for me besides giving me a false sense of security that leads me to go faster and thus greater danger.

Other people should always wear a helmet. It is a personal decision.

And wearing a seat belt is the law.

Today I was thinking that having a helmet would be a good idea, some tight trees at speed....an inch one way or the other and it could've goodnight Vienna for the Tubster

Metabo, I have never heard of anybody dying from a head injury, nor becoming a vegetable from only smacking their head skiing on the gelende or off piste.

I have. Besides Natasha Richardson, Sonny Bono and Michael Kennedy, when I was growing up (before anyone even thought to use helmets when skiing), there was always someone who died every year on the local slopes from a head injury, including an elementary school kid who smashed his head open on a lift tower.

I've had a couple of close calls due to not wearing a helmet, both at work and while skiing, including one trip to the hospital and one time I didn't go but probably should have, so I'm convinced a helmet makes sense for me. I'm just not naturally lucky enough not to need one. And any kids who ski with me have to wear helmets.

I don't care what adults do, and I don't care what ski resorts in Australia do, so don't conflate my opinion with any "nanny state" concerns.

As I mentioned, I hadnt. There is always the chance that somebody has, but it always seems like there are more people who hurt themselves in other ways than just smacking themselves on the head. Anyways, I always wear one :) I hope nobody gets any injuries this year!!

• 1 month later...

I've boarded and ski'ed for nearly 15 years without a helmet. A few seasons ago I caught a heel edge on the board causing a hard fall from head to hard-packed ice. One hard hit in the head was enough to buy a helmet the following day. Enough said.

ha ha! no, I have low blood pressure and mild arrhythmia, and once in a while (not so often as when i was young) the combination can lead to a blackout if I don't quickly find a seat and put my head down for a few mins. Train was pulling into my station and I thought I could make it out the door and across to some seats, but didn't. Woke up on a stretcher being hauled out of the station.

Did you know they don't stitch your scalp these days...they actually staple it!

Mmm.. Yes. I have a gory photo of my brother somewhere with a zipper line of staples from the middle of the top of his head to the front then down his hairline behind his ear to the middle of the base of his neck. He looked a treat.

How do you go on the hill with this condition?

Just take a seat on the snow where you are and wait for it to pass?

Nah, it's no problem there. It only happens if I'm standing still in a crowd (trains) and it's hot, and maybe I haven't eaten (skipped lunch that day) in a while. When I was in the service they finally told me not to show up for parade duty, as I was always the first one to pass out standing in formation under the hot sun! That was a bonus! :lol:

My mate was JUST in country, got off the train from Narita airport and fell between the train and the platform.....he was carrying a backpack so that stopped in going in further and a bunch of people pulled him free before the train started to move again. He is, as you can imagine, built like the gable end of a fiver! :lol:

Yes I wear a helmet now but it took about 4-5 seasons before i did. Got one cos a friend smacked his head on a tree (He's alright) and we like riding backcountry. I guess it's something we should do but I don't think it should be compulsory.

Hit a tree yesterday, head smacked it, not super hard but noticeable and in a beanie it would have hurt but stoked to have the helmet on. I was indecisive re which line to take, ended up taking the middle which was the tree :rolleyes: . Its great for clipping those small branches too when its tight. Only wish the backpack didnt catch sometimes :)