Do You Wear a Helmet For Snowsports?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear a helmet for snowsports?

• Yes always
    • Yes sometimes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you thnk they should be compulsory?

• Yes
    • Yes but only for school groups
    • No

That guy dying after landing on his head at Hanazono got me thinking.

I posted on another thread that wearing helmets was much less common in Japan than other places and while they may not prevent all head injuries they should minimise the risk.

Can we do a poll on this SJ Admin? I have no idea how to.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To be honest, i think some of you are overplaying the disruption to a) your field of vision, and the lack of ambient sound by wearing a helmet. Lets forget that i wrote "non safety reasons whatsoeve

Wore my helmet yesterday and thankfully glad I did.   Was coming down the main slope on the east slope of joestu kokusai and a skiier came across and clattered in to me and I took a hefty tumble, hi

No one would or could argue that wearing a helmet is not a somewhat safer option could they? I honestly couldn't care less if people wear them for whatever reason they choose. I don't care if it makes

We have done this ``Helmet talk´´ in the past a few times.

Do a search and you will find good reasons from GN about don´t need to wear one. ;)

I take a personal choice position on most occasions unless what one does endanger others.

One of the reasons I find on-piste dangerous is - Alcohol

As for the Japanese - don´t need to wear a helmet on push bikes... skating ...most martial arts and contact sports .. etc

So it´s probably a habitual thing not wearing helmets other than on motor bikes in Japan.

As for insurance reasons, I reckon it´s fair that you get a cheaper premium when you take effort in protecting yourself .

I wear one it keeps my head warm and has reduced impact once when catching my outside rail in a whiteout.

I would hope it would provide some protection if I unfortunately hit a tree.

In say that though if the guy at Hanazono broke his neck the helmet wouldn't have helped.

Seemore

I've only ever advocated that it should remain a personal choice. Is it safer to wear a helmet? Most likely. Does that mean there should be laws brought in to make it compulsory? I hope not.

I absolutely hate the nanny state culture we have in Australia. It's one of the many reasons I much preferred living in Japan to living here. I just want to be able to choose for myself the level of safety that I'm comfortable with. I have no issue with those that choose to wear a helmet but I only wish they had no issue with those of us that choose not to.

I don't wear one, I don't do park either. I did skate seriously up until about 8 years ago throwing myself down down stair gaps and at handrails and I never wore a helmet doing that either.

In saying that I have no good reason why I never wear a helmet.

This may sound stupid but for me, wearing a helmet raises the risk. For whatever f*up reason I end up compensating for the new preceived level of safety...

There is such a thing as knowing how to crash. Most folks that freak out end up getting more banged up than they should had.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE riding motorbikes without a helmet as long as the weather stays warm. It should be a personal choice but it isn't in most places :(

As for the mountain its a rare day I don't wear one. I ride better with one as I feel I can (maybe incorrectly) take more risks. Having been knocked out twice now with them on who knows what is any difference there would have been without one. Still it must remain a personal choice.

As for the Japanese not wearing them, its a personal theory that they don't look cool so they aren't worn - its all about the fashion baby!

I think it is/should be a personal choice thing. I've never really felt that I've needed to in the past, but I will be this year, as I'm going faster than ever before, so will stack hard than before.

As for motorbikes, I always wear safety gear. I see too many people riding around with just a helmet, only tshirt and shorts on and think "that'll tear through in the first 2mm of bitumen". I'd rather be a little hot and look uncool than have to go through months and months of skin grafts because I was too foolhardy to wear proper gear.

its good to see from the progressive results of the survey so far that, even though the majority wear one, not one person feels helmets should be compulsory. This reflects how a mature culture should allow people to make their own choices

(Yes, I wear one)

Judging by the amount of scratches and dents in my helmet I think I've made the right choice.

This interests me. I have never worn a helmet and in over 25 years of skiing have never received a head injury. I have mostly skied backcountry or off-piste and love nothing more than flying down through tight trees. I wonder if wearing a helmet restricts your awareness or as yamabushi points out helps push you in taking more risks? Certainly if I was hitting my head frequently whilst skiing I'd probably wear a helmet but I don't.

I had to replace my helmet this year due to a massive crack running through it after a bad stack in Perisher when an inexperienced rider blind sided me.... I wonder would I be here to write this if I didn't wear it that day? Who knows?.... Sometimes I do wear it...sometimes I don't....I love the freedom to do what I feel like and if I crack my melon open because I haven't worn a helmet, my bad luck

Interesting that some people think that it restrics their awareness.

In my past history as a skier, I never wore one.

I never hit my head when I fell but have stiches on my leg from a ski edge hitting. So ski can hit your head.

As a skydiver, When I jumped on my own (without people around) I didn´t wear one. The only times I hit my head is against the ceiling in the plane or the exit door.

some awareness I got :lol:

As a canopy pilot (ground launching, paragliding) I hate wearing helmets because I like to feel the air movement around me. So in this situation, Yes, I feel helmets restrics my awareness.

As a current snowboarder - I hit my head twice in the beginning without helmet - my martial arts experience didn´t help my falling :lol: and got concussed - so I wear one now. I wouldn´t go without one.

When it´s windy I love it.

I guess if it is a warm bluebird day, it woould be nice to go without. :friend:

I hit my head too many times, so I think it's better to wear a helmet. Since my skill level has gotten better though, I haven't wore it often. Most of my beanies won't fit under the helmet neither. Not a good excuse! But heh... I might get git by a bus crossing the street :confused:

I personally don't agree with blanket mandatory wearing but this article make you think:-

Australian snow resorts to introduce mandatory helmets

articles: 1-4-2011 After an extensive review of critical injuries in the Australian snowfields the results are in, helmets save lives. It is that simple. The study was headed up by Dr Richard Kopf of the North Oppenheim Brain Society who has 31 years experience in the field of head trauma and recently concluded similar studies in Europe. Dr Kopf concluded "The research shows clearly that the simple act of wearing a helmet, when undertaking snow sport activities, will significantly reduce the instance of head trauma and death resulting from such trauma in an accident where the head strikes an immovable or highly resistive object."

Many Australia resorts already make helmets mandatory in junior ski school and were moving towards making helmets compulsory for all resort employees while skiing or boarding. This action, by all resorts, takes it one step further in a world first for the snow sport industry. Industry spokesperson Ms Julie Gourd said that the Australian snow sport industry was "excited about leading the world in this measure in a duty of care action for our customer base".

When asked if they were expecting much backlash from patrons over this action Ms Gourd replied that she felt "the Australian public is responsible and mature enough to realise that this if for their own good." Ms Gourd also denied that it was the actions of a "nanny state mindset" claiming that it was "no such thing, rather a responsible action by a responsible industry".

An education program will begin during the 2011 season with notices and warnings to all patrons buying tickets and in 2012 the rule would be enforced with cancellation of tickets by those that didn't comply.

-102228-.jpg