• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DAY 1 : WEDNESDAY 28 DECEMBER 2011   Back on Fantasy Island, and it's great to be back.   Welcome to Hokkaido (courtesy of Sapporo Classic and Takeo Shimuzi)               I was met a

DAY 2 : THURSDAY 29 DECEMBER 2011   ALL ABOARD! THE KIRORO POWDER TRAIN IS NOW LEAVING THE STATION   A cold and clear morning in Makkari as Ian M and I packed up the car and headed for Kiroro.  

I need to get the hell out of Florida. Less then two weeks left then it's back home to Sapporo.   Rock on guys.

Thanks fruity-sachi

DAY 39 : SATURDAY 04 FEBRUARY 2012

1108 cm so far at village level in Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area (approx 300m asl)

After yesterday's grey we woke to another bluebird morning.

We were shipping out today to get back to Hirafu for dinner & drinks, but not before we snuck in a quick tour from Hakuginso Onsen Hotel to the volcano.

Ian M and Porter in the Hakuginso Onsen Hotel car park

MikePow_1145.jpg

Taka and Porter in the car park (no Taka's not taking a leak)

MikePow_1146.jpg

Taka and Porter setting off from Hakuginso Onsen Hotel

MikePow_1147.jpg

Taka and Porter with the steam jets in sight

MikePow_1148.jpg

Unknown Japanese skier enjoying the powder as we skinned up

MikePow_1149.jpg

As we got nearer to our goal the weather closed in, so we made the decision to get a few quick pics and then head back to our pick-up point

Taka almost at our turn around point

MikePow_1150.jpg

Porter at the turn around point

MikePow_1151.jpg

Porter and Taka at the turn around point

MikePow_1152.jpg

Taka at work

MikePow_1153.jpg

The turns were fast and smooth in boot top powder on a very relaxed pitch.

When we got back to our hotel to change out of our gear, grab a bite to eat, and check out, the owner's ski boots were out next to his skis. He was nowhere to be seen and we couldn't work out if he'd put them out intending to go for a ski or his wife had put them out for the rubbish collectors.

MikePow_1154.jpg

Two ladies having lunch at Ryouunkaku Onsen Hotel

MikePow_1155.jpg

As I was about to leave I saw this trinket on the window sill which encapsulated our stay at the hotel

MikePow_1156.jpg

We had a fabulous time in the Tokachi range and had tremendous luck with the weather window and snow stability.

If you're looking for a different Hokkaido experience, then add this one to the list.

We headed back to Hirafu in a snowstorm and arrived in the village in time for dinner & drinks and the Italy v Ireland 6N rugby match at Paddy McGinty's.

DAY 40 : SUNDAY 05 FEBRUARY 2012

After a very expensive and underwhelming breakfast at Downtown Cafe I skied Grand Hirafu with Sally Townsend. Excellent conditions on and off piste and surprisingly quiet for a Sunday powder day.

Porter spent the day lapping Chair 4 and the hike to the peak with Taka. When he was here to write the article about Niseko for Powder magazine the peak wasn't open. He was suitably impressed with the vertical and waist deep powder off the top this time around.

Moondrop: Rebirth on the Northern Island

Porter Fox

Powder Magazine

http://www.writingof...er_moondrop.pdf

http://www.writingofthedisaster.com

http://nowheremag.com/

After lunch I skied one run in Miharashi with Ian M - thigh deep and light - before heading to Chitose to pick up my girlfriend Nerys Royal.

This was her first visit to Hokkaido and her first taste of skiing. It was fabulous to see her after 6 weeks apart and we had lots to catch up on.

We had decided to give skiing a go early on in her trip and booked into the Mountain Hotel at Kiroro for 3 nights and 3 days of skiing. If Nerys didn't get on with it, then we would go on the road around Hokkaido sightseeing.

DAY 41 : MONDAY 06 FEBRUARY 2012

WARNING : GRATUITOUS GIRLFRIEND BEGINNER SKIER 'SKI SCHOOL' STOKE AHEAD

After a lie-in and a gorgeous breakfast at the Mountain Hotel buffet, Nerys & I headed to the Kiroro rental shop to hire her equipment.

This is how it should be done. Start to finish in about 15 minutes. Fantastic service.

All my friends said I was crazy to teach Nerys to ski. A recipe for disaster and a return to life as one more skiing bachelor.

I was more apprehensive about teaching an absolute beginner for the first time in four seasons.

I needn't have worried. Nerys was a model student.

We started sliding on one ski at 10am and by 11am we were on the Family Lift skiing the Family Gelande course (green).

By 12.15 she was skiing gliding wedge to matching parallel on the Family Gelande course unassisted.

After a leisurely lunch we went back to the Family Lift for one run and then progressed to the Yoichi No.1 Express quad chair and three runs on the Yoichi No.1 course (green).

A fabulous first day of skiing for Nerys.

After a second day skiing at Grand Hirafu and Hanazono Porter, Taka and Ian M travelled over to Kiroro for the night.

Dinner was the all you can eat buffet at the Mountain Hotel combined with the JPY 1,500 60-minute Nomi hodai (all you can drink).

DAY 42 : TUESDAY 07 FEBRUARY 2012

Nerys graciously gave me the pass to ski with Ian M, Porter and Taka in the am on Porter's last ski day on Hokkaido. Lap after lap of mid-thigh powder off the gondola. Spectacular.

Look out for Porter's feature on Tokachi in next season's Powder magazine

After lunch it was an afternoon of skiing with Nerys. Superb. Two laps of the Yoichi No.1 course (green), one run on the gondola and the Asari Panorama course (green), and one more lap on the Yoichi No.1 course (green) for good measure.

An afternoon of gliding and sliding. She's loving it.

Nerys Royal on the Yoichi No.1 course, Kiroro

MikePow_1157.jpg

Nerys in the Kiroro gondola

MikePow_1158.jpg

Nerys' second day of skiing and already skiing parallel from the top of Kiroro, Hokkaido

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo_IVZR9DuA&context=C39f95a1ADOEgsToPDskIpM1rjnz4Yz3KNxAFD_4OL

DAY 43 : WEDNESDAY 08 FEBRUARY 2012

THE ROYAL HOKKAIDO SKI TOUR

The gondola was on wind hold all day for Nerys' third day on snow, so we did 4 laps on the Yoichi #1 Express quad in the am skiing the Yoichi #1-B course (green run).

Nerys' third day of skiing Kiroro

Lunch at the Mountain Hotel, Kiroro

MikePow_1159.jpg

Then 5 laps after lunch including Nerys' first red run, the Yoichi #1-A course.

By day's end Nerys really got a sense of balancing through the turn and relaxing the inside leg.

Yoichi #1-B course (green run) or Yoichi #1-A course (red run)? I can do both!

MikePow_1160.jpg

MikePow_1161.jpg

We went to Fuga restaurant at the Piano Hotel for dinner and enjoyed the Hokkaido feast

MikePow_1162.jpg

MikePow_1163.jpg

MikePow_1164.jpg

DAY 44 : THURSDAY 09 FEBRUARY 2012

We had originally planned to stay 3 nights at the Mountain Hotel and ski 3 days at Kiroro and then move on to pastures new.

But Nerys had the bug!

2 laps on the Yoichi #1 Express quad skiing the Yoichi #1-B course (green run) and the Yoichi #1-B course (red run) as a warm up, followed by 2 laps on the gondola skiing the Asari Panorama Course (green run) and the Asari Dynamic course (red run).

Nerys in the Kiroro gondola (it was cold today)

MikePow_1165.jpg

After lunch we did 2 laps on the Yoichi #1 Express quad skiing the Yoichi #1-B course (red run) and 2 laps on Nagamine #2 Express quad skiing the Nagamine #2-C course (red run).

A big fourth day on snow with the big challenge of the Nagamine #2-C course (red run).

Nerys on the Nagamine #2-C course with Otaru and the ocean in the background

MikePow_1166.jpg

Great day. Nerys really getting the 'see saw' motion on steeper slopes.

Nerys Royal's fourth day of skiing Kiroro

DAY 45 : FRIDAY 10 FEBRUARY 2012

There was a fair bit of snow in the car park this morning as I packed up the car.

The Probox in the Mountain Hotel car park, Kiroro

MikePow_1167.jpg

And there was a fair bit of snow all over the mountain too.

We warmed up with one lap on the Yoichi #1 Express quad skiing the Yoichi #1-B course (green run) followed by one lap on the Nagamine #2 Express quad skiing the Nagamine #2-C course (red run). It was like skiing inside a golf ball fitted to an air pump. Not exactly what you'd call stellar conditions but Nerys skied it really well.

So we headed lower down the mountain and skied 10 laps on the Center Express quad either side of lunch - three times skiing Center-B course (red run) and seven times skiing Center-A course (red run).

Epic day again.

MikePow_1168.jpg

Nerys Royal's fifth day of skiing Kiroro and on the fifth day she skied powder!

After a quick coffee we drove to my place in Higashiyama, showered up, and then headed to Niseko Pizza for dinner with Ian M.

nice one mate......teaching the better half is always a tightrope!!! Couple of years ago I took mines to Shiga Kogen and all went swimmingly, she was linking snowboard turns after 30 mins......although sketchy when it was busy, she was quite capable of coming down the hill and when quiet she was able to link turns and pick up speed.....fast forward to this New Year (without boarding in between) and it was almost hell on on earth......my gentle praise and encouragement was thrown back as "bullying" and "harassment".....needless to say, I won't be pushing anymore snowboard trips with her!! :lol:

Thanks. It was a fantastic experience and one I'm really looking forward to repeating. And so too thankfully is Nerys.

DAY 46 : SATURDAY 11 FEBRUARY 2012

1213 cm so far at village level in Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area (approx 300m asl)

After a very enjoyable and successful five days skiing at Kiroro we took the weekend off snow to recharge and take in a few of the sights, sounds, and tastes of the Shiribetsu region in winter.

We had lunch at Yotei Maru Kaiten Sushi sushi train restaurant in Kutchan and then drove to Yoichi to sample whisky at the Nikka Whisky distillery.

http://www.nikka.com/eng/

Nerys in the barrel room, Nikka Whisky distillery

MikePow_1169.jpg

Masataka's story, Nikka Whisky distillery

MikePow_1170.jpg

Nikka Whisky distillery artwork

MikePow_1171.jpg

Nerys enjoying a tipple in the tasting room

MikePow_1172.jpg

But don't just take her word for it

MikePow_1173.jpg

Once Nerys was nicely warmed we headed down to the coastal town of Otaru for the annual Snow Light Festival

MikePow_1174.jpg

MikePow_1175.jpg

MikePow_1176.jpg

MikePow_1177.jpg

MikePow_1178.jpg

MikePow_1179.jpg

MikePow_1180.jpg

Otaru Snow Light Festival

It was colder at the ocean (a wet cold that goes to your bones) so you need to wrap up warm to enjoy the evening.

Definitely worth a trip.

DAY 47 : SUNDAY 12 FEBRUARY 2012

Sunday is the most popular day to ski in and around the Niseko Resort Area - first day of the holiday for anyone who arrived on Saturday combined with the local Japanese skiers - so Nerys and I took the train from Kutchan to Sapporo to catch the final day of the Sapporo Snow Festival.

http://www.snowfes.com/english/

We packed a lunch and enjoyed a leisurely and very warm ride into the city

Nerys unwrappring her first onigiri - seaweed covered rice triangle with various fillings

Nerys seeing snow on the beach for the first time

I thought Otaru was cold, but it was positively balmy compared with the icy chill of Sapporo.

The sculptures big and small were very impressive

MikePow_1181.jpg

MikePow_1182.jpg

and the food oishi - delicious

MikePow_1183.jpg

MikePow_1184.jpg

Nerys enjoying her first sea snail

MikePow_1185.jpg

And on the way back to Kutchan we saw this funky railway carriage

MikePow_1186.jpg

DAY 48 : MONDAY 13 FEBRUARY 2012

After yesterday's blizzard conditions we woke to sunshine, a blue sky, and views of Mt Yotei for Nerys' sixth day on snow.

Nerys in the Hirafu Gondola

MikePow_1187.jpg

Nerys at the top of the King Hooded Triple Lift with Mt Yotei in the background

MikePow_1188.jpg

We did two laps on the Holiday Pair Lift to warm up

Nerys skiing Boyo (green course) in the King area, Grand Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area

Followed by three laps on the Hirafu Gondola and two laps on the King Hooded Triple Lift.

After lunch at the King Bell Hut - ten don (tempura prawn and rice) - we did four more laps of the Hirafu Gondola.

Nerys found the 'sweet spot' and 'stopping time' moment in the curve of the turn, and skied her first black run - Ni-kabe.

Nerys skiing Green (green course) at Grand Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area

DAY 49 : TUESDAY 14 FEBRUARY 2012

The second sunny day in a row for Nerys' seventh day on snow.

So we headed to Rusutsu and Nerys' third resort on her ski tour.

The slopes were deserted, the sun was shining, the views of Shiribetsudake, Mt Yotei and the Niseko Resort Area were superb. You could see Lake Toya and the ocean.

And the snow on and off the groomed runs was perfect for Nerys to try some more off-piste.

Nerys skiing th red course off the East Quad at East Mountain, Rusutsu

Nerys skiing off the groomers under the East Quad at East Mountain, Rusutsu

Nerys skiing off the groomers to skier's right of the East Quad at East Mountain, Rusutsu

And no day at Rusutsu would be complete without visiting the talking tree

For Valentine's dinner we went to A-bu-cha 2 in Hirafu

MikePow_1189.jpg

We had a selection of the restaurant's finest - sashimi, tempura squid, skewers, tofu & tuna salad, edamame, spring rolls - and a fabulous new cocktail to me called the Early Grey Ginger. A blend of Early Grey tea liqueur, ginger ale, a slice of lime, on the rocks. Give it a shot, or several!

In Japan, Valentine's Day is when the guys get spoiled. The gift being chocolate. Always liked Japan.

DAY 50 : WEDNESDAY 15 FEBRUARY 2012

Blowing a gale in Higashiyama so Nerys decided to take the day off from skiing.

I spent the morning at Hanazono skiing with Andy Laidlaw giving him a tune-up before his upcoming heli-week at Galena Lodge with Canadian Mountain Holidays (CMH).

http://www.canadianmountainholidays.com/heli-skiing/lodges/galena

We had good turns in Strawberry Fields, Blueberry Fields, and The Legend of Shinya.

Then lunch at the Vale Bar & Grill with Andy and Nerys before kicking back for the rest of the day back at the cabin.

DAY 51 : THURSDAY 16 FEBRUARY 2012

Back to winter for Nerys' eighth day on snow, and back to Kiroro.

For Nerys' last two days skiing on Hokkaido (for this trip :) ) we took it back to where it all started.

Nerys was in the same boots - the Head Edge + 8.5 which were comfortable, warm, and which hadn't given her any problems the first 5 days - but I changed her from a beginner Salomon ski in a 151 cm with a tip of 118 and a waist of 78 to the 152 cm Vist Cross Over Lady with a 124-77-110 profile and a 11m turning radius.

A truly fabulous ski and the right platform for Nerys now that she was starting to transition from pivotted turns to rounded, edged turns. The wider tip also worked really well on the groomers, the chopped, and the untracked powder.

The evidence m'lord

Nerys Royal warming up on the Yoichi #1-B Course (green course) at Kiroro

Nerys Royal skiing the Yoichi #1-A Course (red course) at Kiroro

Nerys is starting to feel and look more comfortable on and off the groomers and really got some slinkiness in her transitions today.

A fabulous day.

DAY 52 : FRIDAY 17 FEBRUARY 2012

Nerys' ninth and final day skiing on Hokkaido for the 2011/12 season.

Nerys Royal warming up on the Yoichi #1-B Course (green course) at Kiroro

Then it was time to go exploring the powder on the fringes of the runs.

After lunch Nerys got boot top deep in 'Walk in the Woods'. A little uncomfortable at times but the lower section was smooth and relaxed and the run out back to the piste was elegant.

But it gave her the confidence to try the trees skier's left off the top of the mountain

Nerys Royal skiing the trees at Kiroro

Another fabulous day and another day of significant improvement for Nerys.

Unfortunately all good things have to come to an end (for Nerys skiing wise at least) but we are both really happy that she loves Hokkaido, loves skiing, and has taken to the sport so quickly.

Fourteen days on Hokkaido, nine days skiing, three resorts, 203 cm of powder, sunshine, Hokkaido seafood, Otaru Snow Light Festival, Sapporo Snow Festival and more snow than she's ever seen in her life. Cumulative!

For her at least (ski) life begins at 40!

She did. Thanks for reading.

DAY 53 : SATURDAY 18 FEBRUARY 2012

1311 cm so far at village level in Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area (approx 300m asl)

An early start bidding a fond farewell to Nerys at New Chitose Airport. Glorious sunshine on the way there, dumping snow on the way back.

Got back to Kiroro just as Ian M was rolling in to the car park and we proceeded to go deep all around the mountain all day.

Ian M skiing 'Walk in the Woods', Kiroro

Unknown Japanese snowboarder in 'Hangman'

MikePow_1190.jpg

MikePow_1191.jpg

MikePow_1192.jpg

MikePow_1193.jpg

DAY 54 : SUNDAY 19 FEBRUARY 2012

MY 50th DAY OF SKIING ON HOKKAIDO

We started off in 'Finding Your Feet' and Ian M found his pretty quick. Too quick for my camera skills (or lack thereof)

Ian M skiing 'Finding Your Feet'

Then we moved on to 'Hangman'

Ian M skiing 'Hangman', Kiroro

Yours truly skiing 'Hangman', Kiroro

And we finished off in the Nagamine area

Ian M skiing the Nagamine area, Kiroro

MikePow_1197.jpg

MikePow_1198.jpg

MikePow_1199.jpg

MikePow_1200.jpg

Yours truly skiing 'the Nagamine area', Kiroro

DAY 55 : MONDAY 20 FEBRUARY 2012

Solo day in Grand Hirafu and Hanazono.

Skied Miharashi, Waterfall, and three laps out of Gate 4. Great snow and face shots skier's left of the cornice.

Yours truly skiing Grand Hirafu (caught on the Olympus Go Amateur)

Just about saved the camera at the end.

DAY 56 : TUESDAY 21 FEBRUARY 2012

Blowing a gale in Grand Hirafu for Preeya, Ashish, Guffy, Helen, and John's first day of their holiday.

Spent the morning skiing with Preeya and Helen. Surprisingly good turns despite the weather.

DAY 57 : WEDNESDAY 22 FEBRUARY 2012

A far better day in Grand Hirafu for Preeya, Ashish, Guffy, Helen, and John's second day of play.

Spent the morning skiing the groomed and ungroomed off the King Hooded Triple lift.

DAY 58 : THURSDAY 23 FEBRUARY 2012

The wind events, sunshine, and warming trend over the past couple of days had turned the recent snowfall from dust to spongy goodness.

Spent the morning at Moiwa skiing with Julie Martin.

We warmed up on the perfectly groomed and empty slopes of 'Forest Run', 'Sky Slope', and 'Main Burn' working on patience at the start of the turn and pressure control at the end of the turn before heading to the far more difficult and inconsistent conditions on the ungroomed slopes.

Julie Martin skiing the 'Giant Run' at Moiwa

Julie Martin skiing the 'Expert Run' at Moiwa

If you haven't skied Moiwa yet then it should be a must visit during your time in the Niseko Resort Area.

because it had the words hokkaido in the title and i had no intention of hitting hokkaido up this season i never clicked on this thread until right now... and what a goldmine of lines and info i missed! two thumbs up for the resports, but ten thumbs up for sticking with it through the whole season. Im super jealous seeing the words day 58 mind you. (i think im on around day 14ish? Ah well, after the 26th im off work for a couple of weeks. Would love to head to niseko for that time but its a bit of an outlay for the dudes im with since theyll both be due their first pay cheque since arriving. :) Plus, i kinda love kagura's powder anyway.)

But honestly, you get the roy castle award.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GilqqHC0SQ8

Thanks ippy.

Roy Castle, what a leg end.

DAY 59 : FRIDAY 24 FEBRUARY 2012

We had a decent amount of snow overnight but unfortunately it didn't arrive alone. The wind was gusting all morning and the top lifts throughout the Niseko Resort Area were closed.

Knowing how good the conditions were at Moiwa yesterday compared with Grand Hirafu and Hanazono I joined Preeya, Ashish, Helen, John and Sam at Moiwa for the day.

We skied hero snow on the groomed runs and toe top to boot top powder in the trees all morning off the double chair

Preeya skiing 'Forest Run' at Moiwa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4DAWDVD-iU&feature=plcp&context=C4417508VDvjVQa1PpcFMcn9jVtqizGt0npfWwSuMDpnBZYgJ0Syw%3D

Helen skiing 'Forest Run' at Moiwa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rov8-KEabiA&feature=plcp&context=C4417508VDvjVQa1PpcFMcn9jVtqizGt0npfWwSuMDpnBZYgJ0Syw%3D

Sam skiing 'Forest Run' at Moiwa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il-gIqBIvCI&feature=plcp&context=C4799466VDvjVQa1PpcFMcn9jVtqizGkahM-vzXCny9eJrlWtCfOQ%3D

The quad lift opened at lunchtime, the sun came out and Helen, Sam & I skied 'Sky Slope', 'Shirikaba' and 'Main Burn' all afternoon.

Sam and Helen skiing 'Sky Slope' at Moiwa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5_VN3HdSIs&feature=plcp&context=C4417508VDvjVQa1PpcFMcn9jVtqizGt0npfWwSuMDpnBZYgJ0Syw%3D

DAY 60 : SATURDAY 25 FEBRUARY 2012

After two days at Moiwa it was back to Grand Hirafu.

In the morning I skied with Nithan from Sydney, NSW whose previous time on snow was six winters ago in Australia and who had received just two hours of instruction his first time on snow.

He worked hard all morning and combined with some fast feet and athleticism was sliding and gliding comfortably and safely around the lower mountain by lunch time.

Nithan skiing 'Boyo' at Grand Hirafu

Nithan skiing 'Sennoki' at Grand Hirafu

After lunch I met up with Ian M and we headed through Gate 4 to find what powder was out there.

Before heading out through Gate 4 we read the Niseko Avalanche Information report located at the top of the King Lift # 4

We were both intrigued by the highlighted paragraph of the report:

Niseko base 6am: -8 C, no new snowfall and calm wind. Coastal data: SSE4m/s at Benkei cape, 0.7m waves and 1018hPa at Kamui cape. 800m Moiwa: -10 C, snowdrifts developed on the 24th is packed and stable.

The strong NE wind of the 24th has made snowdrifts to develop in SW facing slopes, especially around 1000m altitude. The avalanche risk has risen accordingly, however the risk is diminishing as the weather calmed down. No notable snowfall and snowdrifts development can be observed this morning.

The general avalanche risk is lowering, however hazards of hard slabs slides from Feb 23rd layer is still to be highly considered in wind-affected slopes. Caution is required in Higashi-One’s steep slopes (coordinate G8-H9). The snow in the trees is in good condition, however snow/ice blocks are lurking just below the surface.

Many people from around the world are gathering in Niseko, however many trouble are continuously happening due to insufficient explanation of the Niseko Rules to the visitors. There are no exceptions to the Niseko Rules. Tour agents, accommodation facilities and guiding services should be aware that disregarding or pejorating the Rules would eventually turn the image of Niseko down. People ducking ropes might not be the only responsible people if they haven’t been properly informed about the Rules.

Peak gates are scheduled to open at 9:30. Refrain from traversing valleys, knolls and cornice slopes. Out of bounds areas are never 100% safe. Once you step out of the gates, you are in the wilderness and whatever happens there, you should be able to handle it on your own. Have a safe and enjoyable day.

http://niseko.nadare.info/?day=20120225

We digested the information and headed beyond the ropes.

Ian M finding untracked out of Gate 4, Grand Hirafu

MikePow_1201.jpg

MikePow_1202.jpg

Over apres coffee & drinks at the Vale Bar & Grill Ian M and I discovered that two people had been caught in an avalanche beyond the ropes on Thursday 23 February. This explained the cryptic paragraph of the NADARE report.

Both lost their skis in the tumult and were swept down through a stand of trees. They were skiing with four other people who didn't get caught in the surface slide.

To my knowledge (and it's far from complete) neither of the two caught were wearing avalanche beacons nor carrying shovels or probes.

The gentleman, who is a local businessman, suffered a non-serious facial injury.

The woman, who was on holiday, didn't get away so lightly. She broke her fibula and suffered an agonising hobble back to the resort.

There have been serious and fatal avalanche incidents in Europe and N America this winter, all of which have been reported in detail locally and across the interweb.

The reason - EDUCATION.

The fact that this incident and others from previous seasons have not been widely reported is very disappointing IMHO.

I certainly don't want to be the prophet of doom but I honestly feel that it's just a matter of time before another person is fatally injured in an incident beyond the Niseko Resort Area ropes.

There is a very cavalier attitude towards skiing and riding the non-patrolled areas.

Niseko Village is making great strides to manage and open avalanche prone areas - Mizuno sawa - and provide avalanche awareness and education to visitors in spite of the efforts of amateurs and professionals to totally disregard the Niseko Rules.

And for that they should be applauded.

The other lift operators should fall in step, and quickly.