• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DAY 1 : WEDNESDAY 28 DECEMBER 2011   Back on Fantasy Island, and it's great to be back.   Welcome to Hokkaido (courtesy of Sapporo Classic and Takeo Shimuzi)               I was met a

DAY 2 : THURSDAY 29 DECEMBER 2011   ALL ABOARD! THE KIRORO POWDER TRAIN IS NOW LEAVING THE STATION   A cold and clear morning in Makkari as Ian M and I packed up the car and headed for Kiroro.  

I need to get the hell out of Florida. Less then two weeks left then it's back home to Sapporo.   Rock on guys.

Thanks snowdude and fingers crossed snowjunky. You never know.

I use a Canon 7D with a 28-135mm kit lens and a B&W F-Pro Polariser Metabo Oyaji

The light and clarity were superb, and for the first time I was able to process the RAW file in Camera Raw and just apply a 'sharpen for web' action to the image in Photoshop.

The colours were accentuated by the polariser but it is a faithful reproduction of how blue the sky was and how white the snow was this particular day.

Let's hope for many more this season.

• Like 1

Fantastic photo's. waiting on the next session so clear it would be hard to top the last one's.You should be doing trip report's for ski mag's. After you have shown us first of course. :D

Thanks snowdude and fingers crossed snowjunky. You never know.

I use a Canon 7D with a 28-135mm kit lens and a B&W F-Pro Polariser Metabo Oyaji

The light and clarity were superb, and for the first time I was able to process the RAW file in Camera Raw and just apply a 'sharpen for web' action to the image in Photoshop.

The colours were accentuated by the polariser but it is a faithful reproduction of how blue the sky was and how white the snow was this particular day.

Let's hope for many more this season.

Google sez... "sharpen for web" is an edge enhancer? So no brightness/contrast/colormap enhancements beyond what the polarizer privides?

Gotta get me a polarizer. (And a camera capable of mounting one...)

Thanks guys.

Google sez... "sharpen for web" is an edge enhancer? So no brightness/contrast/colormap enhancements beyond what the polarizer privides?

Camera Raw adjustments and sharpening.

Thanks all.

DAY 19 : SUNDAY 15 JANUARY 2012

What a difference a day makes.

The snow was still gut deep and light at Kiroro, but the sky was greybird all day.

Ian M taking flight

MikePow_1000.jpg

DAY 20 : MONDAY 16 JANUARY 2012

The first day at Rusutsu with the Lovelocks and Craig, back to where it all started.

Light, dry powder. Plenty of untracked, and the sun made a brief appearance.

Hayden playing on the fringes of Heavenly View, Rusutsu

MikePow_1001.jpg

MikePow_1002.jpg

Hayden doing his best Boba Fett impression on the fringes of Heavenly View, Rusutsu

MikePow_1003.jpg

Alex playing on the fringes of Heavenly View, Rusutsu

MikePow_1004.jpg

Craig playing on the fringes of Heavenly View, Rusutsu

MikePow_1005.jpg

MikePow_1006.jpg

Ria playing on the fringes of Heavenly View, Rusutsu

MikePow_1007.jpg

Neil playing on the fringes of Heavenly View, Rusutsu

MikePow_1008.jpg

MikePow_1009.jpg

MikePow_1010.jpg

Thanks guys.

Camera Raw adjustments and sharpening.

Ah ha! Raw format. Didn't realize such a thing existed before.

A feature to look for next time I'm in the market for a camera.

Thanks.

DAY 21 : TUESDAY 17 JANUARY 2012

Day 2 at Rusutsu with the Lovelocks and Craig

A beautiful bluebird day with powder still to be found despite no new snow for the past two days.

Our day began on West Mountain warming up on Elite, Natural and the tree run areas before heading over to the groomed and ungroomed runs of East Mt and Mt Isola.

The Gang on West Mt, Rusutsu

(l-r Craig, Hayden, Olga, Al, Alex, Neil, Ria)

MikePow_1011.jpg

DAY 22 : WEDNESDAY 18 JANUARY 2012

909 cm so far at village level in Hirafu, Niseko Resort Area (approx 300m asl)

Day 3 at Rusutsu with the Lovelocks and Craig

Another beautiful, bluebird Rusutsu day.

The view from the top of Heavenly View, Rusutsulooking down on to Lake Toya and the ocean beyond

MikePow_1012.jpg

Neil dropping in off Heavenly View, Rusutsu

MikePow_1013.jpg

MikePow_1014.jpg

Craig dropping in off Heavenly View, Rusutsu

MikePow_1015.jpg

From whence we came

MikePow_1016.jpg

Sweet pics man. Of course there's no snow in the forecast for me now that i'm finally here :( lol

Don't feel too bad, that always seems to happen to me too :confused:

I sometimes wonder if I am a snow jinx :lol:

Thanks guys.

It's snowing outside my cabin in Higashiyama norcal.

DAY 23 : THURSDAY 19 JANUARY 2012

Day 4 at Rusutsu with the Lovelocks and Craig and the fourth beautiful, bluebird day in a row.

As on previous mornings our day began on West Mt warming up on Elite, Natural and the tree run areas before heading over to the groomed and ungroomed runs of East Mt and Mt Isola.

The Gang on West Mt, Rusutsu with Shiribetsudake in the background

(l-r Olga, Al, Hayden, Neil, Ria, Craig, Alex)

MikePow_1017.jpg

For dinner, Ian M of Niseko WOW took us to an izakaya in the nearby village of Makkari.

(Neil Lovelock's pics)

MikePow_1018.jpg

Without him we wouldn't have known it existed. With him the Lovelocks, Craig, olga, Al & I had the best meal of our stay in the Rusutsu area.

We were made to feel most welcome, and were the only non-Japanese guests they had received this winter. The meal was both beautiful and bountiful with fabulous tastes and variety.

The owners Hashimoto Tencho and Fuku Tencho preparing yakiniku and bibinba for us.

MikePow_1019.jpg

MikePow_1020.jpg

MikePow_1021.jpg

Would you like ice with your drink?

Hayden icicle hunting

MikePow_1022.jpg

Thanks.

DAY 24 : FRIDAY 20 JANUARY 2012

The last day at Rusutsu with the Lovelocks and Craig and the fifth beautiful, bluebird day in a row.

Thanks to the below normal temperatures we still managed to find untracked knee deep powder all over the mountain. None better than the shaded slopes underneath the East Mt gondola.

As they bade farewell to Hokkaido for another year, the Shiribetsu skyline put on a show

Mt Annupuri, Mt Yotei and Shiribetsudake from East Mt, Rusutsu

MikePow_1023.jpg

The Gang on East Mt, Rusutsu with Mt yotei and Shiribetsudake in the background

(l-r Olga, Al, Hayden, Craig, Alex, Ria, Neil)

MikePow_1024.jpg

just as a matter of interest, any geology peeps out there who can say how they are formed? Yotei of course is a volcano, but since the rest of the area is flat its not fold mountains in action.....

Thanks muikabochi

DAY 25 : SATURDAY 21 JANUARY 2012

Back to Kiroro with Ian M

No new snow, sunny, 1st buckle deep and tracked in the usual places, so we decided to have an exploration morning off the Nagamine area quad chairs.

Ian M scoping out the Kiroro backountry terrain

MikePow_1025.jpg

MikePow_1026.jpg

Slackcountry terrain off the Nagamine #2 Quad chair, Kiroro

MikePow_1027.jpg

DAY 26 : SUNDAY 22 JANUARY 2012

A much needed day off after 24 days straight of skiing. The old bones needed some R&R.

DAY 27 : MONDAY 23 JANUARY 2012

With no lessons booked for Chinese New Year and the Niseko Resort Area busier than it had been all winter, Ian M and I headed to Kiroro to escape the crowds.

And our 1hr drive from Hirafu in driving snow was rewarded with empty slopes and dry, light, waist deep powder. All day.

Ian M testing his new duds - helmet, goggles, jacket, and gloves - in the Kiroro deepness. They all passed with flying colours!

MikePow_1028.jpg

MikePow_1029.jpg

MikePow_1030.jpg

MikePow_1031.jpg

MikePow_1032.jpg

MikePow_1033.jpg

DAY 28 : TUESDAY 24 JANUARY 2012

Kiroro with Ian M. Different day, same play.

MikePow_1034.jpg

On the way back to Hirafu we pulled up behind this truck dumping snow at the Kutchan dump

MikePow_1035.jpg