• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DAY 1 : WEDNESDAY 28 DECEMBER 2011   Back on Fantasy Island, and it's great to be back.   Welcome to Hokkaido (courtesy of Sapporo Classic and Takeo Shimuzi)               I was met a

DAY 2 : THURSDAY 29 DECEMBER 2011   ALL ABOARD! THE KIRORO POWDER TRAIN IS NOW LEAVING THE STATION   A cold and clear morning in Makkari as Ian M and I packed up the car and headed for Kiroro.  

I need to get the hell out of Florida. Less then two weeks left then it's back home to Sapporo.   Rock on guys.

Yeah those sausages on a bone look freaky but taste nice :)

When you take the quads up at Kiroro make sure you don't go over the ridge on the far skiers right of the of the resort - its a long way out of there.... But you most likely know that.

Thanks guys and thanks for the heads up panhead_pete.

We are aware of the pros and cons of Kiroro but it's important to point out that there are plenty of hazards at Kiroro which can easily catch you out if you take your eye off the ball.

DAY 2 : THURSDAY 29 DECEMBER 2011

ALL ABOARD! THE KIRORO POWDER TRAIN IS NOW LEAVING THE STATION

A cold and clear morning in Makkari as Ian M and I packed up the car and headed for Kiroro.

http://www.mfresort....ish/kiroro.html

For the second season in a row, we'd bought Kiroro seasons passes which at JPY 38,000 is one of the best deals on Hokkaido.

The mountain centre was a hive of activity and excitement but it was all just a bit too much for this gentleman

MikePow_854.jpg

And even with the holiday skiers we never waited more than a minute for a chair or a gondola, and barely crossed a track all day.

It was greybird all day, but the snow was oh so inviting.

Ian M accepting his invitation

MikePow_855.jpg

MikePow_856.jpg

MikePow_857.jpg

MikePow_858.jpg

MikePow_859.jpg

MikePow_860.jpg

MikePow_861.jpg

Not a bad way to open our account.

• Like 1

DAY 3 : FRIDAY 30 DECEMBER 2011

Woke to a cold and clear sunrise at my cabin in Higashiyama, my home away from home this winter.

A Room With A View

MikePow_862.jpg

But by the time I met with Hirafu village homeowners and regular visitors to the Niseko Resort Area the Banks and Wikman families from Brisbane, Australia the clouds had rolled in and we skied the first day of their lessons under greybird skies.

After 6 months off snow (a year for some) it was a day of finding your feet and balance on the groomed runs of Hirafu.

http://www.grand-hir...r/en/index.html

We had lunch at the King Bell restaurant - roast pork slices in miso ramen for me - and in the late afternoon Tim Banks and I took a run into Miharashi for the first time this winter. Creamy, windblown pow with most of the sasa and brush buried.

Met up with Ian M after skiing and we called in to see Cezar at Niseko Pizza's new location in the J-Sekka building. We couldn't leave without a bite to eat and a glass of vino, and the caesar salad, large bianco pizza, and sangiovese wine were all delicious.

DAY 4 : SATURDAY 31 DECEMBER 2011

I met the Wikmans and the Banks' at the bottom of the Ace Family Chair, and after an hour or so of skiing the groomed slopes of Hirafu we headed over to Hanazono.

It was a cold, clear day interspersed with frequent squally winds that made the mercury drop quickly and bitingly. The tree lined runs of Hanazono afford protection from the wind and are a good choice on days like this.

At the end of Silver Dream is the Jib Park, and when the sun came out Tim W, Annie, Claudia, and Jack headed in

Tim W in the Jib Park

MikePow_863.jpg

Annie in the Jib Park

MikePow_864.jpg

Claudia in the Jib Park

MikePow_865.jpg

Jack in the Jib Park

MikePow_866.jpg

After lunch at Hanazono 308 - Pork donburi (pork slices, poached egg, bean sprouts, rice) for me - we headed to the nose of Waterfall to acquaint ourselves with the powder.

Annie enjoying her first foray in the powder

MikePow_867.jpg

MikePow_868.jpg

Jack in Waterfall

MikePow_869.jpg

Claudia in Waterfall

MikePow_870.jpg

Liz in Waterfall

MikePow_871.jpg

Jackie in Waterfall

MikePow_872.jpg

Tim W in Waterfall

MikePow_873.jpg

MikePow_874.jpg

For the last hour or so of daylight Tim W, Tim B & I played in the Hirafu powder. Tim W had been working hard on his stance and balance all day and was showing marked signs of improvement by days end

Tim W on the fringes of Furiko

MikePow_875.jpg

MikePow_876.jpg

Tim B on the fringes of Furiko

MikePow_877.jpg

After an excellent day on and off the groomed runs Tim W, Tim B & I enjoyed an Apres-ski drink at Herbie's Umbrella Bar on the former Scott Hotel site between the Alpen and King base areas.

Thanks guys. Look forwad to meeting up.

DAY 5 : SUNDAY 01 JANUARY 2012

HAPPY NEW YEAR

And what better way to welcome in the New Year than a return to Kiroro with Ian M

http://www.mfresort.co.jp/english/kiroro.html

The sky was pretty clear as we drove Route 393 from Kutchan to Kiroro and its elevated position at the head of the valley afforded great views

Mt Yotei

MikePow_878.jpg

The Niseko Resort Area, Iwaonupuri and Niseko Weiss from Route 393

MikePow_879.jpg

As always Kiroro was quiet on and off the groomed runs. The snow wasn't as stellar as last Thursday (29th) as there was a wind blown layer about 20-25 cm down on some aspects. But we did manage to find some powder around the hill ;-)

Ian M at Kiroro

MikePow_880.jpg

MikePow_881.jpg

MikePow_882.jpg

MikePow_883.jpg

MikePow_884.jpg

Nice Mike

I like this one. The photos I see of Hokkaido really makes me feel the places has a different.... feel.... than round these parts. Can't quite put my finger on it.

MikePow_879.jpg

Keen to see more zoomed out scenery!

:friend: