Unreserved, as TB mentioned, means all you need is a ticket to get on the train, which is checked at the gates. Reserved means you get a seat but you will be checked and told off if you are in the wrong place.

Moreover, if you get a campaign train, you can't, last time I tried, get a different train. If you get a normal train ticket, you can take a later/earlier train, but have to take an unreserved seat.

It wouldn't let you through the shinkansen gates?

Nope, it wouldn't that time. Haven't tried it since as I am too much of a coward and want to drink my hakkaisan in peace and quiet. ;)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you buy them at JR View in person, you can definitely get through the gates and take an unreserved seat on any train. I've never bought them over the internet tho....seems you can't do that

When you purchase the special campaign tickets, they clearly state that you cannot use any other train, even nonreserved, and must purchase another ticket if you miss your train. When picking up at the JR View Plaza, the agent explained this fact thoroughly and pointed out the restriction on the tickets.

You might be able to get away with the "gaijin factor", though.. YMMV.

when you say "campaign ticket" you mean the special online deals that MiJ posted the link to...right? Not the regular Higaeri tickets that you can buy using the brochure in person at the JR View shop

TubbyBeaverinho,

Each deal has its own conditions. For example, for the Centoleisure Maiko plan on the link, you can only use nonreserved cars.

For the Gala deal, called "Special Gala" in the JR Ski and Snowboard Higaeri pamphlet, you can only use the genteiressha 限定列車 which means only the specified trains, and specified reserved seats. It states that if you are late to one train, you must carry the costs of a new ticket, and cannot use a later nonreserved train, nor get a refund for the unused ticket.

I think you are referring to the Gala Higaeri Kippu 日帰りきっぷ which can be purchased at the ticket machine, saving JPY 300 over purchasing at the window. Although the price includes anywhere in the Tokyo-to region (the Special Gala is only from Tokyo station, you must purchase separate ticket to get from your home station to Tokyo), the price is JPY 13,000 weekend/11,900 compared to JPY 6,700 (Wednesday and Thursday only) for the special.

I think it may be work or boredom beers that keeps me beside kyoto sensei. Money is one thing I'm doing fine with.

Ya, Captain Highpockets.....loosen the grip on that big dough. :D

TubbyBeaverinho,

Each deal has its own conditions. For example, for the Centoleisure Maiko plan on the link, you can only use nonreserved cars.

For the Gala deal, called "Special Gala" in the JR Ski and Snowboard Higaeri pamphlet, you can only use the genteiressha 限定列車 which means only the specified trains, and specified reserved seats. It states that if you are late to one train, you must carry the costs of a new ticket, and cannot use a later nonreserved train, nor get a refund for the unused ticket.

I think you are referring to the Gala Higaeri Kippu 日帰りきっぷ which can be purchased at the ticket machine, saving JPY 300 over purchasing at the window. Although the price includes anywhere in the Tokyo-to region (the Special Gala is only from Tokyo station, you must purchase separate ticket to get from your home station to Tokyo), the price is JPY 13,000 weekend/11,900 compared to JPY 6,700 (Wednesday and Thursday only) for the special.

well I've never had to change to get the Gala ticket, the times I have simply got on any train I wished it was going to Kagura and it was in person at the JR View Plaza, using the Higaeri brochure that Gary was speaking about earlier in the thread. The tickets allowed me to get into the station and get the much earlier train, I've also slept in and missed a train and when i got to the gates, the staff said it was ok and I could take an unreserved on the next available train.....that was to Hakuba 47

That looks good!! Am planning to go somewhere on Thursday too - maybe it's time to Gala! :groovy:

Mick are you still riding Thursday?? I will be in that area day tripping from Tokyo, planning Gala on Wed at this stage and maybe somewhere close by Thursday.

Hey Pete, sorry for the delay! My snowboarding plans for this Friday and the next month or so have just been bombed by the diagnosis of a hernia! :sadface:

No idea! Possibly a combination of riding and lugging my snowboard bag around, which I did quite a bit over Christmas and the New Year and then again on Thursday getting to and from Gala.

Hope your mended soon Mick

I believe they can fix a lot of hernias laproscopaly these days

Yeah, I've been reading up on that. I'm also getting some promising estimates of how soon I can ride after surgery, namely 2 to 3 weeks, so if I can get it done by the end of jan, hopefully I'll be back on the slopes by the end of Feb! :D

No idea! Possibly a combination of riding and lugging my snowboard bag around, which I did quite a bit over Christmas and the New Year and then again on Thursday getting to and from Gala.

It was nookie really, wasn't it? :evilgrin:

Hope your mended soon Mick

I believe they can fix a lot of hernias laproscopaly these days

Yeah, I've been reading up on that. I'm also getting some promising estimates of how soon I can ride after surgery, namely 2 to 3 weeks, so if I can get it done by the end of jan, hopefully I'll be back on the slopes by the end of Feb! :D

That sucks.

Heal fast, Mick!