ahhh, next you wont get out of bed if its not more than 20cm freshies. I had the same problem in furano. Why bother if its anything but pow? And then i got bored of pow and i was all like, god i wish i had a bluebird... and then i got 3 weeks of them and cried about the pow i took for granted :'(

Moral of the story: something about pow. :)

Experiencing real powder is a bit like flying business class. Once you've done it once it's so hard to go back to cattle class. You may well do it but it's never the same knowing how good it can be.

Experiencing real powder is a bit like flying business class. Once you've done it once it's so hard to go back to cattle class. You may well do it but it's never the same knowing how good it can be.

So true, so true.

Kamui.

Hmmm.

Got any snaps to up and share Smap-lover? ;)

Nope, It's been puking since I got here so nothing much to see other than lots of ....white. Tomorrow is looking to clear up some so possibly.

Any particular reason you chose up there Chriselle?

We have to take care of my mother-in-law over the holidays while the usual family members who do it take a break overseas. I could make a trip down to Niseko but that wouldn't be fair to my wife. The snow is good here this year so I'm just hanging around Asahikawa.

Pete where in Hokkaido were you???

We rode Rusutsu, Kiroro, Annupuri and Hirufu. Rusutsu rocked, great day out of gate 2 and 7 at Annupuri, Hirufu OK until 10 am when its tracked to death. Had a mate then go to Furano and is still babbling about it.

Hahahahahaha thats the way I fly too.

No snow tomorrow so drinking tonight and tomorrow and .... LOL

Hirafu is a lost cause for me Banno due to too many people even so early and with the issues facing Japanese tourism in general but then Im selfish and want to ride untracked when ever I can but having said that we did get some nice turns in this year there - but it gets tracked to death really quickly and its near impossible to get that serenity of riding with no noise. My preference in Niseko are some of the other areas, we rode Hanazono last year but passed this year as there are a lot of some what flat areas and there was so much pow we didn't need to. The day we were going to Miowa it was too windy and only the bottom lift was open but it did look awesome one morning when we were looking at it. This year I stayed in Niseko Village well away from all the distractions/people of Hirafu at night. The Onsen at Green Leaf, just up the road was sensational. But that was easy as my sole purpose was riding. If you had a family etc I see the appeal of Hirafu with more restaurant and bar options.

I've hardly skied any slopes in Hirafu over the last 6 or 7 years. Occassional jaunts down Roy's, Waterfall and Miharashi but I generally stuck to Hanazono first thing in the morning (closest area to my house) and then the peak once it opens. Hirafu does get tracked out early but the good thing is that a large portion of people barely make it out of Hirafu until late morning meaning other areas are almost deserted. I used to get 3 to 4 runs in Blueberry's and Strawberry's before hardly anyone from Hirafu started making their way over. Great way to start the day!