Hi Folks,

I would really appreciate if you could help me with this one. 2 yrs ago I was in Hanazono wondering where some people are skiing from when they skied down far right from Hanazono base cafe (if you look towards the slopes), I remember there was a reddish building or something and they came somewhere behind that (not sure about this anymore)... Now, just learnt that I will have a chance to ski in Niseko in January :) so my question is if you ski down from the peak gate towards nishi shamen, will you end up in a traverse or do you need skins to come back to Hanazono? Are there any significant (hidden) obstacles like rivers I should be aware of? I remember we skied down from the gate 5 and ended up in a some kind of road, which ended in the slopes. I would really be interested in skiing down the whole way to the bottom.

Thanks a lot in advance :cheers:

Riksu

Hi Riksu,

I don't know the area real well but it sounds like they may have headed out through gate 5. From gate 5 if you traverse along the top and then drop off towards Hanazono you'll eventually hit a face known as Jacksons. From there it's quite a long push but you do come out at the Hanazono rest stop, might be called 308 now. I've only been out there a couple of times with a friend who knows the mountain real well, but no skins are required.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Actually they have come off the peak or maybe traversed from gate 4 (gate 5 won't get you there) to do Jackson's. There is a cornice you have to negotiate and once you get a little ways down near the bottom you hit a track, depending where you pop out you may walk or pole that and then traverse out. No skins required, go with someone who knows, though not a real hard excursion. No brainier on two planks but on one it is a bit of a nightmare traverse out... Take poles one plankers!

Riksu I did consider giving you a detailed description of the route from the summit to the base but to be honest as Tex points out you'll be much better off going with someone who knows the way. The route does go down to one of the biggest cornices on the mountain and into terrain that can and does slide. And in bad vis you can pretty easily get right off the route you need to follow. If you don't know anyone who knows the way well then just climb the peak and chat with some of the groups at the top. Bound to be some guys heading down that way who won't mind you tagging along. It is certainly one of my favourite routes off the peak as it gets some of the deepest snow you can find on the mountain. Plenty of times on the slope below the cornice I've been hip deep when it's barely boot deep everywhere else.

Great, thanks guys! By remembering those grins of the people's faces, I _knew_ it would be a great spot :clap:

We'll probably try to head to the peak and then ask the people up there. Hmm, I still have a looong week to go before take off...