Ski Field Crowds  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Are they Ski Field Crowds Up or Down this year

• DOWN
    • UP
    • About the Same

Kandatsu kogen last week was a ghost town, but I've never been before and it was a weekday so i dunno if it was any less busy than usual, although for whoever is picking up the cheque at the end of the day, I sincerely hope it was!! Kagura was definitely quieter than usual. The only quieter day up there was a couple of weeks after the quake that I posted about earlier in the year. Again though, it was a weekday and I'm usually a weekend warrior so comparison might not be so accurate.

Kagura was very empty on Tuesday. At times we had the Dynamic and Challenge courses to ourselves, with about 80cm of fresh powder to be had even in the late afternoon.

I've heard rumours through Japanese skiiers of possible contamination on the eastern slopes (especially Gunma). I highly doubt the veracity of these rumours, but if they're around, it might affect where people choose to ski.

Surely as Metabo Oyaji pointed out, even if ---- EVEN IF ---- there was any stuff, it would now surely be 2m under snow.......

AND what are we gonna do?? not go out for the rest of our lives??!! We don't live in the highly contaminated zone, of course there is a chance that there are some particles here or there but there isn't anything we can do about them and there is no way I'm sitting in my house for the next 30,000 years so I'm gonna chance it....mnd you I think everyone else had better stay home just in case! ;)

Ishiuchi was much quoter than expected considering on previous weekdays with holidays have been busier.

You came up to Ishiuchi yesterday?

Went Monday. Going to Centleisure on 5th.

Places in Minamiuonuma didn't look too bad.

Hakuba webcams didn't look over busy either really when I looked this morning.

That is because the higher lifts were not operating this morning due to strong winds. It was very busy on the lower slopes. Not sure if busier or not yet. I will try to get some official data after New Year

Surely as Metabo Oyaji pointed out, even if ---- EVEN IF ---- there was any stuff, it would now surely be 2m under snow.......

Gary said the same thing (first, even). But don't take our words for it, the town of Inawashiro has been taking radiation measurements at ski areas in their jurisdiction, along with snow levels. As can be seen, as the snow gets deeper, the radiation levels drop. Accumulation is not up to 2 m anywhere there yet (nature has been somewhat unkind to Fukushima so far this winter, though seems to be in catch-up mode now, judging from today's white-out conditions), but several places are already at or close to normal, pre-disaster background radiation levels:

gallery_10844_104_102845.png

It seemed as though almost half the license plates I saw at one ski area in Fukushima the last couple of days were from Ibaraki prefecture. (I guess because to go skiing from Ibaraki, the closest is either Tochigi or Fukushima, and because of the way the highways run Fukushima is at least as quick or quicker to get to then Tochigi for most folks, plus there are fewer Tokyo crowds to deal with in Fukushima than in Tochigi. Not to mention that the free highways make it cheaper to go to Fukushima now.) There was also a noticeable Chiba contingent.

On the other hand, saw zero other (apparent) foreigners on the hill. There would usually be at least a few.