It seems more marked this season, well so far, but Nozawa is being dumped on brilliantly this month.

I was there yesterday and it was pretty mad.

Couldn't see much,but untouched powder everywhere you looked.

Even in the village!

Great stuff.

Here's the only photo I took:

;)

Nozawa is officially in Nagano, but for weather purposes think of it as part of the general Myoko region. Snow clouds hit Nozawa before they get to Shiga Kogen.

Sciclone, I wouldn't worry about mid-January at Shiga as far as having plenty of snow; powder is, of course, always a matter of luck.

I don't know the details of that area, but in this region as a whole there are loads of microclimates. Shade, prevailing winds, and altitude are all major factors.

I suppose the main thing is to not put off a trip to Nozawa say because there is no snow by the road through Iiyama. There could be two feet of fresh on the mountain.

True tokabochi that Nozawa has a decent vertical but at a top elevation of just 1560m (from memory) it is way lower than the top lift at Shiga (Yakoteyama 2,300m)

snowjunky... I am guessing that the point tokabochi was making was.... you can be driving past Nozzle on Route 117 and there not look like there's masses of snow. But, go 5km on the road up to the village, and then get up to the top and there's tons and tons. That's what Mr Wiggles was saying too. I think.

:friend: