I reckon theyve just decided that 110cm is their absolute base level and if they reported less than that people would think it was rocks and mud (which it, er, kinda was in a few of the mroe tracked spots).

Its like my comedy moment from furano. Maybe they should take a leaf out of hakuba and call it furano 110.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took some photos of what I think is called Extreme Carving.   Laying it over   Backhand turn   A close-up   going down the hill   Another perspective

Just thought I would start a thread to keep all my photos and others together and for crew to have a yak if they like.   I got a great present for xmas day. Some nice fresh snow. It was my best xmas

I posted a rough as guts video. try this.   Furano Ski Boxing Day   Today's photos, Boxing Day.   Top of Ropeway looking towards Dai-san lifto.   Top of Ropeway looking towards top of dai-

I have to say, I am not sure what to think of Furano. I mean, I wasn't naughty and ducking ropes, so maybe that would have changed things, but from what I have been told, most of the treed areas the trees are probably too tight for me, so maybe that would change the way I feel about the place. Its not that I didn't enjoy it, I just feel a little underwhelmed by it all.

The town is nice though :friend:

There were no issues with coverage though, but there was some gravel in the groomers at the very bottom of the Kitanomine zone, but was able to stop before this and walk the last 20 metres to the gondola.

Honestly, if I was to go back, I would either:

1) get good at appearing invisible and riding through tight trees,

2) spend a good percentage of my time at other resorts in the area.

3) take some dynamite with me and blow up the snow above the crack in the premium zone :sj-lol:

Mmmm hope they get some more snow before we get there. Not a glowing report. I still like Furano though I seem to be able to find enough runs and things to do. We also are venturing to Tomamu and Asahidake this year. We always end our trip with a week or two in Niseko for the off piste skiers of our group. And if the skiing is crap (VERY UNLIKELY) there is always shopping in Asahikawa :lol:

Yep , Agree Furano isnt Niseko and doubt they really want to be another little aussie world , its a great base to get around with some great nearby hills and a hell of a lot of fun . Agree if your a park Rat or Back County guru Furano may not suit you without some day trips . I think the problem is the back county is like national park area so very restricted on where you can go I could be wrong about that . Guess I was just lucky on my last visit its snowed for 5 days straight really didnt need the premium areas to find great powder .

The thing with furano is that it honestly has a fantastic set of runs. I mean theyre not olympic downhill length, but if you were making a kids olympic downhill, furano side has a fantastic little ride on the inside line (if i remember right - the side closest to kitanomine). Super varied, switches continually from steeps to moguls, to twists and turns and then spits you out at the ropeway. Its a cracking little run if you just want to rip away. The place could just do with some deep fluffies at the official powder zones just to round it out (and probably an actual park) but it does have some decent terrain (i dont want to egg the pudding too much - i want to say really good, but im prone to being solipsistic).

Still, as i mentioned a while back, even without powder and playing in predominantly ice, crud, and dodging the occasional patch of mountain, i always had a good day there. Theres also lots of little sneaky areas you can hit up and enjoy (i had a blast riding under the connector lift on my last day for instance). The trees are tight, and low coverage means theyll likely stay that way, but the mountain itself has a great ride to it.

If youre after powder or slackcountry though, i would just go to niseko/rusutsu. If you want a mountain to just burn on and carve away on (and occasionally luck out with some ace powder days), its kinda decent fun. In terms of terrain its defenitely one of those places that doesnt leave me thinking its a bit rubbish. And believe me, half of my reviews moan about a lack of decent length steeps. Even my kagura review insinuated it was kinda flat and short. Not so furano. Its got some ace lines. Just not much snow is all :)

Its also got a bus that goes to kamui anyway... :p

Having spent the last 2 seasons there, I was about to spring to the defence of Furano but having re-read the last few posts, that's actually a fair summary. Like all resorts, it has it pros and cons and I'm sad not to be making it up there this winter!

belay that query.....just checked......as the crow flies, Furano is about 77.5kms from Ishikari Bay and Yuzawa is 53kms approx from the sea of Japan

Nearest point probably the Kashiwazaki Nuclear Plant, or thereabouts!! :party:

Bocca della Verita, looks like.

Did you stick your hand in it?

thanks, i just looked it up. first time i had ever heard of that.

I did see people putting their heads and legs in the mouth. I tell no lie. ;)

Koko,

Cannot believe it is 3 years since we were there at Furano! Love that place!

Have plenty of pics which I'll post when I get sober (it's Friday night, after all!).

Koko,

Cannot believe it is 3 years since we were there at Furano! Love that place!

Have plenty of pics which I'll post when I get sober (it's Friday night, after all!).

you, drunk on a friday night. what is going on.. topsy turvy.

LOOK OUT - We are on our way. Leaving tomorrow!!!!! See you all SOON!

:groovy: :party: :clap: :banner: :dance:

Looks like you timed it well with the snow!! Have fun up there!!! :thumbsup:

As a little aside, I took the train into Tokyo yesterday and sat opposite a mum and her 3 year old toddler, who was babbling away almost non-stop for the duration of their journey. Although probably annoying for the rest of the hushed carriage, this was actually good practice for my Japanese as I reckon i'm on a par with a 3 year old! :lol: Anyway, what's the point of all this, you might ask? Well, as we pulled into a station, the toddler shouted out to her mum, "koko doko?" I couldn't help but smile and think of Furano! :wave:

WE HAVE ARRIVED - WE HAVE SKIED - What a totally awesome day. It was a little windy and a tad cold for someone arriving from a 30o summer days but the beautiful snow covered runs made me soon forget the cold. There was light snow falling ALL DAY and it was easy to find some untrack areas.

I would like to be able to report that there were no falls BUT alas a day out skiing for me with out a fall means that I haven't challenged myself and today I mst have really challenged myself because I had plenty falls :lol:

The wind started getting up late in the afternoon and is really blowing out there now but it is still snowing out there.

Anyway kicking back now with a beer and stringy cheese (my favourite).

Oh yes Mr Snowhunter has a new love - His new Burton Fish Board ;)

kokodoko_91.jpg

Schoolies, thousands of them.

kokodoko_92.jpg

the downhill chair, kitanomine.

kokodoko_93.jpg

Random snowboarder going down the side of the downhill run.

kokodoko_94.jpg

Toyo skiing the pow on his 1980's straight skis. hard kore!

kokodoko_95.jpg

Ramen shop at the bottom of the ropeway.