• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took some photos of what I think is called Extreme Carving.   Laying it over   Backhand turn   A close-up   going down the hill   Another perspective

Just thought I would start a thread to keep all my photos and others together and for crew to have a yak if they like.   I got a great present for xmas day. Some nice fresh snow. It was my best xmas

I posted a rough as guts video. try this.   Furano Ski Boxing Day   Today's photos, Boxing Day.   Top of Ropeway looking towards Dai-san lifto.   Top of Ropeway looking towards top of dai-

I like kokodoko! :thumbsup:

More like that please, if I can oneai.

I like the fact hes our man in furano. Odd to think its been almost a year since i was there. Feels still very fresh in the memory looking at those shots of the base area.

aww ya big softie! i bet those flatmates you have dont sleep in until midday before considering venturing outside to score some epic -5cms of freshies!

OI shouldnt be mean. I never came back bored from it. And there was always some pow somewhere on the mountain.

PS have you hiked that volcano yet? Aside Kamui, its about the only reason id head back there :)

aww ya big softie! i bet those flatmates you have dont sleep in until midday before considering venturing outside to score some epic -5cms of freshies!

OI shouldnt be mean. I never came back bored from it. And there was always some pow somewhere on the mountain.

PS have you hiked that volcano yet? Aside Kamui, its about the only reason id head back there :)

yes, half of my flatmates sleep in till late. do you mean tokachidake? No, i dont like walking on snow. i have been to asahidake last year.

there was heaps of snow.

mick, yes the premium zone is closed. but ppl still going down it :)

"People" meaning you then! ;)

no not me. yet.

snowing all day here. met Surfarthur yesterday.

actually I was meaning to post in here..........looking at the Now Reports (as you do) I noticed that while Furano has had good snowfall, the resort base is quite a bit less than most other of the Now places, perhaps not Shiga Kogen. Is that normal for Furano? Do they generally get less than most of the main resorts? Of course I've heard that the quality is still fantastic and the last time I checked, it stood at 190cms which is s great amount for sure.....just interesting to see it against the other big resort areas

This thread has been a little slow over the last few days. I will fly the flag and try to bring some photo's and reports when I arrive in 2 weeks :banner:

I look forward to seeing them Snowhuntress. :wave:

actually I was meaning to post in here..........looking at the Now Reports (as you do) I noticed that while Furano has had good snowfall, the resort base is quite a bit less than most other of the Now places, perhaps not Shiga Kogen. Is that normal for Furano? Do they generally get less than most of the main resorts? Of course I've heard that the quality is still fantastic and the last time I checked, it stood at 190cms which is s great amount for sure.....just interesting to see it against the other big resort areas

i think historically it does not get a massive base like some other resorts such as niseko that are near the coast.

190 base is good for here. last year it was heaps less, around the 100-150cms mark i think. but dont quote me on that.

i think historically it does not get a massive base like some other resorts such as niseko that are near the coast.

190 base is good for here. last year it was heaps less, around the 100-150cms mark i think. but dont quote me on that.

you can quote me on it.

110cms. Regardless of the fact that it started on 110cms when i arrived and then after 1 measly almost dump and 3 days of plus degrees, it was still 110cms base. Regardless of the fact that on my final day the mountain was showing through in MANY little spots. It was 110cms.

I have to say, I am not sure what to think of Furano. I mean, I wasn't naughty and ducking ropes, so maybe that would have changed things, but from what I have been told, most of the treed areas the trees are probably too tight for me, so maybe that would change the way I feel about the place. Its not that I didn't enjoy it, I just feel a little underwhelmed by it all.

The town is nice though :friend:

There were no issues with coverage though, but there was some gravel in the groomers at the very bottom of the Kitanomine zone, but was able to stop before this and walk the last 20 metres to the gondola.

Honestly, if I was to go back, I would either:

1) get good at appearing invisible and riding through tight trees,

2) spend a good percentage of my time at other resorts in the area.

3) take some dynamite with me and blow up the snow above the crack in the premium zone :sj-lol:

• SnowJapan Admin

you can quote me on it.

110cms. Regardless of the fact that it started on 110cms when i arrived and then after 1 measly almost dump and 3 days of plus degrees, it was still 110cms base. Regardless of the fact that on my final day the mountain was showing through in MANY little spots. It was 110cms.

The official snow depths are a funny old thing hey. And shouldn't really be compared resort to resort as they all seem to have their own way of doing that... The ones that never change, the ones that under-report, the ones that ahem 'over-report'. That's why we are put the words official in there ... Just reporting what the resorts put out there. Usually along with an observed new snowfall number as well. You may sometimes notice comments about the snow depth numbers in the reports too. ;)

I think reporting the official numbers in there though is better than leaving them out, whatever the questions about their day to day validity.