• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took some photos of what I think is called Extreme Carving.   Laying it over   Backhand turn   A close-up   going down the hill   Another perspective

Just thought I would start a thread to keep all my photos and others together and for crew to have a yak if they like.   I got a great present for xmas day. Some nice fresh snow. It was my best xmas

I posted a rough as guts video. try this.   Furano Ski Boxing Day   Today's photos, Boxing Day.   Top of Ropeway looking towards Dai-san lifto.   Top of Ropeway looking towards top of dai-

Hi arfur, thanks. there are some pretty good english speaking instructors in furano. ask for kai or jessica maybe..

Not much point getting a guide i reckon. They are expensive i heard.

You can book a ski host at the tourist centre and they will show you around the hill for free.. just book a day ahead.

It is still snowing here. we have had a few cms tonight already.

Get one of the Furano Hosts - I skied with one this year and she was great. She took me all over the mountain and pointed out some things of interest , where the local onsens are and recommended some places to eatand drink in town. She was great. :thumbsup:

I took this photo yesterday in Furano town. It seems to be some type of ornamental pine or fir tree.

I guess they protect them from the snow by wrapping them. Is this common in Japan?

Also, what is the building in the back? Some official govt building?

gallery_9395_22_165612.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, Koko.....they either wrap the trees like you have in your picture or they construct a tee pee like frame around them. I've also seen ropes strung from top to bottom as well.

Nice kokodoko, keep em coming!

I get the impression that Furano isn't surrounded by big mountains all the way round unlike lots of places round these parts.....

Furano is on a flood plain between mountains (small ones).

I took this photo yesterday in Furano town. It seems to be some type of ornamental pine or fir tree.

I guess they protect them from the snow by wrapping them. Is this common in Japan?

Also, what is the building in the back? Some official govt building?

gallery_9395_22_165612.jpg

koko, that's to keep the trees warm so they keep sprouting the spruce oil and the sprucy smell.

Some shots of the surrounding countryside of Furano this afternoon. Especially for Muika because he loves landscapes.

kokodoko_72.jpg

Where the valley meets the hills.

kokodoko_73.jpg

A frozen creek.

kokodoko_74.jpg

Farmland in the valley.

kokodoko_75.jpg

Sorachi River - do not fall in.

I was stoked this afternoon as I saw a Japanese Wagtail and 4 White-tailed Eagles along the river. awesome!

I think it was the Sorachi river that goes all the way from Furano to the west coast of Hokkaido... When we caught the bus back from Furano to Sapporo, we must have criss-crossed it a dozen times. About 10mins out of Kita-Furano there were people ice fishing near a camping area, very picturesque in winter, I can only imagine how beautiful it looks in the summer and autumn.

those look like the rice paddies covered with snow.

yeah it could be. i have no idea. but i think they start planting the first Thursday of spring.

I think it was the Sorachi river that goes all the way from Furano to the west coast of Hokkaido... When we caught the bus back from Furano to Sapporo, we must have criss-crossed it a dozen times. About 10mins out of Kita-Furano there were people ice fishing near a camping area, very picturesque in winter, I can only imagine how beautiful it looks in the summer and autumn.

yeah, i think i have got that bus too. you go under these tunnels and lots of river along the way.

I took some skiing photos today, mainly the excessive turning snowboarders , whatever they call it.. doh!

will process and upload later..