Favorite resorts in Japan? What parts and why.

Mmmm, not sure, but I think would have to be Myoko, because I simply loved the long down hill terrain through the trees, Tsunan at the time I went because of the simply stupid amounts of soft snow they had on that day and the tree courses. Also shirakaba in Nagano, for the courses and scenery!

So many I still want to visit, which would probably change my favourite then.

Rusutsu, because nobody goes there. It also gets about as much powder as anywhere else and it has some truly great tree runs that are always fun.

I must admit though that in all the time I have spent there I have only seen the sun on two occasions.

Zao on a really nice day is also really cool. Even if the snow is terrible, on a nice day it just does not matter, because it is so beautiful. Seriously, on a clear day when you can see Mount Chokai it is just perfect.

Obviously if the weather is not so nice and the snow is terrible it can also be the worst experience, but that is like any mountain.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from Nozawa, and I must say it was definitely a GREAT experience! The mountain is sweeeeeeeeet! but also the tiny town that sits at the bottom is one of a kind. Real chill/laid back, FREE onsens scattered throughout town! (Also some GREAT pay ones too) and it just feels like JAPAN. I love other places like Hakuba and Niseko too! but definitely a different vibe from Nozawa.

Also, next time I head back to Hakuba, I might just skip Happo One all together, and head straight to Cortina ;) so much FUNNNN and powderlicious, haha (and a fraction of the crowds Happo gets)

In the end, so hard to choose a favorite! Japan has so much to offer!

In no particular order:

Centleisure maiko

Happo-one

Niseko

Joetsu Kokusai

Those are the ones that have really stuck out over the last 7 years of boarding in Japan. Perhaps because of the lucky conditions I experienced when I went there.

Edit: I do like kagura but there is just one part that spoils it if you are a snowboarder.

You like Joetsu Kokusai, Man? I don't mind it when it's not busy but the lifts always seem to do my head in.

The lifts are a tad annoying; however, I like the Atema side, is that right?

Also the course through the woods lent itself to some nice turns too; but I have only been there once, would like to go there again in Feb.

Yes Atema is the place to go, I like it there.

If you go by car, top tip is to part at the Osawa parking area (a bit round the corner away from the hotel).

From there you can get 2 pair lifts that take you up in that direction.

I always park there, free as well.

In answer to the thread title, right now... Ryuoo.

But in answer to the death row question... Probably Niseko. I mean, i <3 Ryuoo, but only that one run and once ive run it a few times im kinda bored of the mountain. But Niseko is endlessly entertaining. But i insist its a fun powder day on a weekday, with my best mates and im on a gentem or something :)

On topic, for once, my favourite place is I reckon Kagura. Winning mainly because it's the place I have been to most, the snow is always ace, and it's just so easy to get to.

I have never been to Hakuba on a fantastically blue sky day. That is something I want to do this season as I know how stunning that scenery is as well.

If you get the chance, Goryu/47 has the most amazing view from the top; on clear days the small hike to the shrine at the very top is worth it.