I am planning a day trip to Appi Kogen. Main reason is because I have very little time and a JP rail pass.

In order to make it work I am looking for tips and trick. My main goal is to ski as many minutes as possible.

Right now I am thinking of arriving with Shinkansen to Morioka at 7:55 in the morning. Then take the buss to Appi Kogen arriving approx 9:45.

I would need to rent advanced carving skiis and get a day pass. Would there be something to think about? Many different rental providers with different quality gear?

Further I like to leave appi Kogen as late as possible to catch a very late Shikansen back to Sendai.

Suggestions welcome.

s5804

I'll be going to Appi for my 3rd time in early Jan. I hope the following comments are helpful;

I think its a good resort for beginner/intermediate snowboarders. Skiing I don't know (but there are some ski-only runs and a horrible black mogul field). It flattens out towards the bottom of the mountain as its pure conical volcano. You can really tear it up down those wide intermediate runs (I clocked 56mph while being overtaken by a skier). I've been there when it dumps and its great, and have been there when its blue skies and no fresh snow - not so much fun, but great views of Iwate-san. I'm taking my kids there as I think it'll be perfect for novice boarders.

In my experience Appi has snow when surrounding areas don't (well, areas to the West). If you're local its more than worth a day visit, or if you're further afield you'll want to stay a couple of nights. I've hired my kids skis at Appi previously and it seemed pretty simple. Just one rental shop near the entrance/lockers. Ticket booths at Appi are pretty efficient and Gondola to top of mountain is quick. To make the best use of your day make sure you take the last gondola to the top of the mountain just before lunch (as it stops for lunch). If you can get a late bus or taxi to Morioka & shinkansen to Sendai you could also get some night skiing in.

I am leaving in the morning from Sendai.

Appi seems to be snow safe before new year? But honestly I am just learning about the locations in Japan and are happy for suggestions.