Hi guys looking to sort out my Hokkaido leg of my trip. If you had 6 days to split between Hokkaido and Rusutsu would 3 days in each be the best split, was in Niseko last year but am yet to understand the variety and scale of Rusutsu. As always thanks.

is there any decent cheap accommodation in rusutsu? Its always been the spanner in my plan for that place. Id likely spend my time based in hirafu and shuttle a couple of days to rusutsu. I cant see anyone spending under a week in niseko and getting bored to be honest :) Hell, if you do, just board across to moiwa and run that for a few hours. Or if you can, get a lift to chesenpuri and hike a little bit to a completely free and empty untracked face. :) It was always my dream... because my dreams are extraordinarily lazy and the top lift gets you half way up the mountain :)

Ditto above. Rusutsu for the steeper stuff, Niseko for, well you know - powder! Hope the weather is kind to ya.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input as I do suffer from paralysis of over analysis :rolleyes:

Think I might go to Niseko 1st then and find my legs before I find the steeps... :) :) :) That way I'd have xmas there too I guess. Seems the Romulus Hotel has room for me in Rusutsu :) :) Now to sort Niseko :)

If you have not booked already you might want to shoot an e-mail off to Rusutsu Resort and find out how much they are charging for people to stay in the Highland Lodge section of the hotel this year. If memory serves me correctly it is not usually featured in English, but it costs about 15,000 yen a night, which includes a lift pass and breakfast.

I love Niseko, but I continue to spend most of my time at Rusutsu when I make my annual trip north to Hokkaido. Having said that though, I agree with Mick Rich, spend four days in Niseko and then two at Rusutsu. You should have a lot of fun.

Base yourself in the cheapest accommodation for the duration of your trip and then ski wherever the best conditions are for that particular day.

Basing yourself in either Hirafu or Rusutsu (the Hotel Romulus is great btw) can give you access to the following resorts all within a 60 mins drive

Niseko Resort Area

Rusutsu

Moiwa

Chisenupuri

Kiroro

Sapporo Kokusai