Cameras...? Digital SLR advice please ;)

Shout out to all the camera toting SJers out there. What do you use and why? What would your next camera be if you could go out and buy one right now?

I think it's finally time that I bought a new camera. I'm using a Pentax DSLR (which I've had for about 7 years now) and thinking of making a switch to another brand. I've had my eye on the Canon 60D and 7D but was thinking about Nikon as well... I guess there is just too much choice. I can't talk myself into buying one or the other...

D300 and actually really would like them to update it! I want a new improved toy!

But actually it does me well, and I am sure I will be sticking with Nikon.

I'm curious about the imminent D800 even though I thought I would be waiting for the D400 - though there's not a word about that yet it seems.

I think there are.

But I am not sure on stuff like this as I have only ever had my Nikon and Nikon DX lenses.

Actually that's one thing about if I upgrade to D800 when it's out. It will cost a lot of money if I want to properly move over to full-frame. Apart from the cost, I just don't know if it would be worth it.

Canon vs Nikon is kinda like asking which is better Ford or Holden.

For action sport try and aim for a camera that does 5 frames per second or faster.

I'm not sure where that fits in the Nikon world but in the Canon world the 60D (or previous versions such as 50D, 40D, 30D or even 20D). These all do 5 fps (frames per second) or faster.

They also all have cropped sensors which is good for sports photography and wildlife photography.

The 7D is an awesome action camera 8 fps. The 5D isn't a good action camera, amazing portrait/wedding camera.

Spend as little as you can on the camera body, buy second hand body if you can and spend the money on good glass (lens), the bodies devalue quickly, the glass doesn't. Check dpreview.com for full on camera reviews.

Really? Never heard of Holden!

I wouldn't want to buy a second hand camera body.

Then again, I'm not keen on the idea of second-hand anything really.

Ford vs GM

Ford vs Opel

Ford vs Vauxhaul

Ford vs Chevrolet

Ford vs Holden.

You get the idea. I once bought a camera body (20D 11 months old) with original receipt. 1st owner paid $2000, I paid him $1100. $900 lost in a year is not a good purchase. $900 on the top level glass Canon makes (called "L" series) is a good purchase. You can sell them years later and not loose much money.

I guess if you don't take the camera out because you don't want to ruin it you've spent to much on it. Use it as a tool. Most camera bodies are engineered to around 70,000 actuations (shutter releases) that is a lot of photos so rather than buying a "enthusiast kit" from Currys, Best Buy, Harvey Norman whereever (basically the body with two crappy lenses) look at buying a cheap body $400 and then spend $600 on a great lens (like a Tamron 28-75 2.8F) same price but a much better result. (L series lens are often weathersealed as well).

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of pro photographers have some equipment that's second hand. Most decent-sized towns have a shop selling it. In Japan in particular, people are fastidious about good cameras and look after them.

The choice is down to the individual of course, but you can save a lot of money buying second hand. There's much less to go wrong than with a second hand car, for example.

Really? Never heard of Holden!

I wouldn't want to buy a second hand camera body.

Then again, I'm not keen on the idea of second-hand anything really.

Except tires, right? ;)

Isn't it just Aussie GM i.e., Vauxhall in the UK?

Regarding s/h, as with cars, it's often a question of saving a lot, not "a bit". Our Ipad was half the price when new and was still under guarantee. Or at least it was until I jailbroke it and loaded up VLC, something I would still have done with a new Ipad.

Getting back to the issue, what photos do you want to take BM?

Well, I tend to take action (sports) or landscape shots pretty exclusively. I'm also very interested in the video quality of the new dslr... that is why I was leaning towards the Canon 60D.

Thanks for all the good advice so far. I've found some pretty good deals online for the Canon and will probably be going the new route unless I can find it for a lot less used. TBH, most of the used prices I've seen have been only about 10% off the listed price which isn't enough to convince me. I'm going to keep searching for a bit longer before I make my final decision. Cheers guys!

Good luck with that!

Interesting how slow a company like Nikon seems to be with updates to it's gear.

The D300 must have been out at least 2 years now, quite possibly a fair bit longer.

Different from phones and lots of other electronics!

Isn't it just Aussie GM i.e., Vauxhall in the UK?

Regarding s/h, as with cars, it's often a question of saving a lot, not "a bit". Our Ipad was half the price when new and was still under guarantee. Or at least it was until I jailbroke it and loaded up VLC, something I would still have done with a new Ipad.

Getting back to the issue, what photos do you want to take BM?

yes it is Mr W, Holden is the Aussie branch of GM, they don't sell em outside of Oz I don't think

Holden is simply the Aussie badge. They have been exported to the US and used as police cars: http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-news/holden_us_police_car_orders_open

The 60D would be an amazing sport camera. I have a 7D and a 20D and the 20D is still a great sports camera. As I mentioned before just make sure you stick some good glass on it. If you can't afford good glass at least get a 50mm 1.8 for about $120. It is a bit of an odd focal length on that size sensor but at least you have some fast glass.

I must admit I know nothing about video on a DSLR. How are the ergonomics compared to a handycam? Can you zoom manually without camera shake? If they have got video down though, it would be a very strong reason to buy the latest model. Most of the still photography improvements seem incremental by comparison.

You've got a Gopro and the latest Iphone havent you BM? What kind of video do you get off them?

Hope you'll use it to show us lots of Furano, my friend.

I'm interested actually in seeing non skijo pics too... Like around town etc

:friend:

yeah i am going to do some people and street shots, landscapes and skiing shots. the 50mm f/1.8 is a really fast lens and great for actiion . you just have to be up close.. my battery is a bit dead.. i might try and get one in osaka maybe..

yea def a tough call on the Canon vs. Nikon! Right now I'm trying to get rid of my Nikon D5000 (does anyone want it for cheap!haha) and want to upgrade to the Nikon D7000. Both AREN'T super ridiculous high end professional DSLRs but then again I'm kind of a self taught photographer who just likes it as a hobby, so no need to sell my car for a new camera ;)

As for Canon, I have ALWAYS gone to them for my point and shoots. I think their point and shoots are superior to nikons, but could just be my preference. I'm REALLY hoping/waiting for the new Canon G13 to come out! the G-series is DOPE.

Lately, I have been tempted to just sell all the old camera stuff I have and get the new GoPro Hero 2!!! haha might sound stupid, but man the reviews on that thing and the videos i've seen on it look awesome. I think I might have to pick me up one, haha.