• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 11/12 Season Giveaways have started!   As with many things this season, we are making some changes to the way our Giveaways work.   If you look top right of this page - or indeed any page on t

First ones now online:   Mt Naeba http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/20908-snowjapan-giveaways-mt-naeba-yuzawa-niigata/   Yuzawa http://www.snowjapanforums.com/index.php/topic/20907-

OK a few initial issues with the Form fixed up - it should all be working smoothly now. Links to this will appear on the main site later on today.

I might still anyway... but the money that we saved on lift tickets would have helped to buy the costumes.

Don't forget Muika, that for most of us, going for holidays in Japan can cost anywhere between 10-20% of our yearly income, so any cost savings would be nice.

Yes, of course people want to save money.

And SnowJapan have said that they have over 250 lift tickets to give to people like you and me this year.

Two hundred and fifty!!

They have also said that they have wanted to and have tried to get Shiga Kogen tickets each year, but it just doesn't work out for reasons that are simply beyond their control.

What are they supposed to do, print Shiga Kogen tickets themselves?!

:confused:

Are we not acting just a little spoilt and ungrateful at times?

I'm not ungrateful.. If I could get to Kagura or Naeba I'd be loving it, but it doesn't fit in with my travel plans, so I'd much rather leave those tickets for those that can actually use them.

I also said that I'd hand out some fliers at hotels in SK, because there are far less hotels listed for Ichinose/Takamagahara than there actually is. Not that I want SK to become anything like Niseko or Hakuba, but both hotels I've booked this coming year, the hotel last year and the Sunroute the year before are because they were listed on this site.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SnowJapan Admin

We have just sent out a fair few winning notices, so if you entered one of the recent Giveaways check your mail!

:friend:

---

I also wanted to comment on a few comments that we have received from somewhat disgruntled Forum (non-posting) members regarding our Giveaways this season.

If I post it here I will have something to link to next time we get one. ;)

As has been pointed out earlier in this thread, for the Giveaways this season (up until now*) , you need to be a logged in member and have made some posts** on the Forums.

Some people do not seem to like that, one or two even seem 'outraged', our favourite word of course!

Here's some of the things a few people have seen fit to call us because of this:

- mean-spirited;

- narrow-minded;

- unfair;

- "being told you are not important sucks";

- "it's a slap in the face";

- "I have been a member for 7 years and now you slam the door shut in my face"

- "this way, the same people will keep on winning!"

There have even been accusations of operating 'double standards' and 'false advertising'!

What?!!

Blimey. And here we were thinking that spending the time and effort of putting together 350+ lift tickets was a good positive thing to do! We don't have to, you know.

Apart from the somewhat incredulous initial reaction to reading this kind of thing, let me just point out one or two things to those few that seem fit to complain:

- Anyone can enter. You don't need to pay us or anyone anything. You just need to be registered on here and make some posts**. You need to join in. Be part of the community;

- If no members posted on the Forums, there would be no Forums to read. Think about it;

- Members who post are contributing to the community, providing your reading material, often upload photos and generally add content to SnowJapan. We thank them for that and want to encourage it more;

And most of all......

Apart from getting some manners, just think it through for a moment.

You are complaining that you can't get something for free and for doing nothing. Perhaps last year you could do that, but now you can't.

Sorry about that!

This is not intended for all the people who may have sent us comments on the same subject.... comments and feedback are welcome.

It is meant for the full on rage-mode attitude that some people seem to think is cool.

Thanks.

-----

* that may well change for certain Giveaways

** 3 posts

Who'd want to run a popular and very public website and have to deal with dweebs all the time hey?

I think getting people to join in like that is a good idea.

Get more people posting, involved etc. If every member didn't post there'd be nothing to read!!

You've taken away that "week-in-week-out-for-4-months-get-something-for-doing-sod-all" element, a certain kind of person was never going to like that.

Of course for members it's still very simple and lots of people appreciate it. I know I do, even though I haven't won anything yet. I did last year.

Good on you, I say!

:)

Honestly SJ Crew, I admire your patience... I'd be inclined to get the big old ban stick out and block their IP from the server.

But getting stuff should not be the reason you join a forum in the first place. I've been on since 07 and I joined because I had questions about an upcoming trip and needed some answers from people with more knowledge than my LBS. The fact that a lot of us have been lurking around here for more than a single question shows that the community is quite helpful and friendly natured, so despite some whiners, I'd say keep doing what you're doing.

Whats the point in signing up and being logged in if you never post anyway?

:confused:

That's kinda what I hinted at before....minimum post count to enter. Mods are far too nice......for Mods. :lol:

yeah, imagine not getting something for free for doing nothing!! where is that address to the Daily Mail, I'm outraged as well!! :grandpa:

But thankyou all the same for those free tix I won in the recent comp!! Greatly appreciated, I'm very happy outraged with it all!!

:D

• SnowJapan Admin

Honestly SJ Crew, I admire your patience... I'd be inclined to get the big old ban stick out and block their IP from the server.

Wouldn't you be popular! ;)

But getting stuff should not be the reason you join a forum in the first place.

Totally agree. And we don't particularly want people signing up simply to do this and then disappear again. That's not really the point. It's good if it encourages would-be members to take the plunge though and they continue to join in.

The people who have come on since we started this, making 3 quick posts simply to be able to enter the Giveaways and quite possibly never seen again.... are quite obvious.

Happily more than that have continued joining in.

Following on from the discussions above SJ-David I notice a healthy increase in membership numbers every day. On the other end of the scale, do you do a cull on members that have not posted in say 5 or more years? Or do you want the numbers as high as possible for future marketing purposes?

Just wondering.

• SnowJapan Admin

The only 'culling' we have ever done is in September when we moved over to the new Forums.

A fair number of accounts that had not seen any login for over 6 years were de-activated and are not counted in any of the statistic numbers. (If any of those people tried to login again, they can re-activate the account).

But that is why the numbers dropped when we made the move.

Why only 3 posts? Surely you need to do a lot more than that to even be considered for a prize worth thoussands of yen.

Start at 300 or even 3000. Encourage participation and the rerwards would come quickly.

Wheee! just got my hakuba ticket through the mail today, many thanks! Well stoked on that! but more stoked that you also threw in some stickers as well! Cheers dudes, its a cute touch :p

• SnowJapan Admin

Glad you got it.

And I would like to add, thank you to the people who have mailed us and sent encouraging comments recently, always nice to hear. Thanks for the support.

:wave: