• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been looking at the smith i/o and the i/os - how are they for fogging in snowy conditions? Also, I heard they scratch up easily? They do look nice though and I like the idea of the high VLT lens for snowy days.

Haven't had any issues with fogging or scratches YET!! I have had them for 2 years. Mr Snowhunter looked through them on a white out day to compare them with his. He now also has Smith IO and loves them too. They are great to look through, light and changing lens is super easy and you have some many choices for lenses.

provide, I struggled with OTG goggles for years before finally giving up. They'll fog, end of story. Electric heat elements, dual fans, whatever, they'll fog.

I ski half-blind just in goggles w/o glasses -- if it's a good Niseko day you can't see for all the face shots anyway :lol:

Ah thanks DiGriz :)

i'll just stick with the contacts then, they are just such a pain to put in and there is something inherently wrong with sticking your finger in your eye on purpose while you watch :lol:

does anyone use the over glasses style goggles?

Hmmm tried them. Did not like. Never felt comfortable and fogged up.

Apart from the fact that I looked very silly and as ungnarly as you can get in them. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Pete

What googles did you end up buying?

Also what is the difference between mirror and non mirror (apart from reflection) as the price changes heaps?

Seemore

Ended up with some Smith I/O that are awesome. Bought them off eBay in the US and had them sent to Japan where I picked them up. Really great vision. Super simple to swap the lenses (once you follow the instructions lol) and it came with a spare so a near clear and a dark tint. They are great except that they unbuckle at the back, which worries me if I rag doll down a slope which Im prone to do. ;) :) Thinking I will glue them up.

I tried some a few years back provide but just didn't like them. There were too many steaming up issues. Not counting the looking dorky bit. Get some with mirrors. ;)

:lol:

I suppose some technology might have got better since then but I wasn't keen. I went to using sunglasses most of the time.

Had my Alpina for 5 seasons. One the Lens change colour ... Starting to fog when I´m heated up.

My wish is : Is there a goggle that you can see more when the day is foggy and snowing ?

I know yellow is better but still it´s hard to see what´s ahead.

Does anyone carry different lens or goggles for those days?

• 5 weeks later...

I have a problem with snow getting into the goggle and also a problem with fogging. Any recommendations on a set of goggles or is it user error? lol

Ruined my goggles today trying to dry out the inside, snow got in them. They also keep fogging up with/without my mask :(

Any help appreciated! Domo!

a few things you can obvioulsy do:

1. Dont touch your lens under any condition.

2. Make sure the vents are clear of snow.

3. Dont use lens cleaner.

4. If they ice up its time to head indoors and let it melt.

5. If you get snow inside and outside just shake it out and suck up the little bits until it clears by itself if you can.

Lens cleaner gives you respite for a few minutes but youre pretty much guaranteeing your killing the lens and fighting an endless battle of ever fogging, ever cleaning. I havent touched my splices since i bought them and they havent fogged on me once (well, obviously they fog every now and again, but they clear up the second air starts flowing through them).

6. More expensive is, in this case, better. Pay for one decent set of goggles with a good lens, dont put your grubby paws all over it, and theyll last you through the season and well into the next one... or buy 3 or 4 pairs of 6000 yen goggles in the same time and spend most of the time trying to see out of the one tiny slither of un-fogged/un-iced bit of goggle down near your left cheek.

Goggles are definitely the one bit of kit you shouldnt be scrimping on. Nothing beats seeing where the hell youre going. :)

I have a bad habit of touching my lens, inside and out. Sometimes the powder gets in the goggle via vent, then looks all wet, fo I cant see. Therefore, touch lol.

I will be looking for a better pair for next season, will make mine last until then (hopefully)

• 2 weeks later...

i wear glasses permanently and have struggled with contacts and normal goggles in the past but went goggle shopping the other day and discovered thry make the over glasses style.

i tend to exude a lot of heat from my face and head but i've never skiied in super cold conditions (will be in niseko in feb) and i'm worried about my glasses fogging up inside the goggles...

Last weekend I used Bolle Goggles from Costco, over glasses or prescription sunglasses. Had no fogging problems, other than when I forgot to remove them walking into the resturants. They cost 3,000 yen, but I was at Costco today and they have gone, replaced with summer gear, however for next season you may want to try.

They also sold gloves and helmets. The gloves were good, 3000 yen and were warmer than the NZ$150 gloves I got sent up from NZ. Not too sure about the helmets as I couldn't find one that fitted