PLEASE READ - Daily reports, snow depths, resort status

• SnowJapan Admin

A sure sign of the season kicking off proper, from today the snow depth information and resort status data has started appearing on SnowJapan.

:)

This information can be found on the resort pages, and the prefecture and town resort listing pages.

Resort info pages:

http://www.snowjapan...ail.php?resid=3

Resort listed by town:

http://www.snowjapan...fecture=Niigata

Resorts listed alphabetically, by prefecture:

http://www.snowjapan...fecture=Niigata

Our Now! reports are now also becoming regular as the season starts up and you can expect them to click into daily mode when things do get going properly in the respective regions.

--------

About our daily reports

So, before we get into the season proper, please read this:

http://www.snowjapan...l#SnowDepthInfo

Snow depth data

This information is coming from a reputable source that gathers all of the data each day from resorts around Japan and updates it. It gets updated to SnowJapan automatically.

The information is essentially coming from the resorts themselves, not us.

Early season, such data can sometimes lag behind the reality. We can't do anything about that.

If you plan to go to a resort early season, I highly recommend contacting them just to make sure before going.

Over the next week or two we will be double checking each setting to make sure that everything is set up correctly and that the correct information is being assigned to each resort.

Now all we need is snow!

been snowing almost non-stop for 4 days* here in Niseko

*ok probably a bit of an exaggeration but we have had a ton of snow here recently, to the point of some people suffering from "too much snow"-syndrome.

Hey SJ dudes! Reading the daily reports in getting me stoked for the season! Thanks again for providing such an awesome service :)

I'd like to make a little suggestion (hope you don't mind) about the daily reports drop down menu at the top of the forums page. I'm not sure if anyone else does this but I like reading the daily updates from the calendar page because everything for that day will appear on one page. I'm wondering if you could include a 'Today' link in the drop down menu that would take users directly to that day of the calendar? (or maybe there is a way to do this already but I haven't noticed?) Anyway, thanks again guys and お疲れ様です for all your hard work!

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi there BM.

Don't mind at all, it's a good idea. Overlooked for sure.

I have added in the Now Calendar link and put it at the top.... go take a look (you will need to 'refresh').

I'm fairly sure that having a link directly to the current day up there will not be possible, but will check.

We do post links to the current day though on the Forums:

http://www.snowjapan...-daily-reports/

... as you probably know.

We usually post that sometime after at least one of the reports has gone up.

Thanks for the suggestion.

:thumbsup:

• SnowJapan Admin

You're welcome - like I said good idea and easy to fix up and stuff like that is welcome. :friend:

I have also now just put a link on the right hand side Daily Reports block that appears on the main page of the Forums so there's a link there too.

The Webcam Center has also had a good old checking over today, a bit of a clean up, a bit of a fresh look and also a few new images added (as well as some dead ones taken out):

http://www.snowjapan...bcam/index.html

If you would like to help suggest possible additions to that section, please check this:

http://www.snowjapan...sking-for-help/

Thank you.

Between the reports and the web cams.....I'm getting more and more stoked. Rumoi (our destination in Hokkaido) was on the national news for getting a bunch of snow. Another week, can't wait.

• SnowJapan Admin

Hey SJ dudes! Reading the daily reports in getting me stoked for the season! Thanks again for providing such an awesome service :)

I'd like to make a little suggestion (hope you don't mind) about the daily reports drop down menu at the top of the forums page. I'm not sure if anyone else does this but I like reading the daily updates from the calendar page because everything for that day will appear on one page. I'm wondering if you could include a 'Today' link in the drop down menu that would take users directly to that day of the calendar? (or maybe there is a way to do this already but I haven't noticed?) Anyway, thanks again guys and お疲れ様です for all your hard work!

OK Black Mountain I have added a new entry to that top menu called 'Latest Reports'.

The idea is to change that every day when we make our daily topic on the forums for the days reports.

It has to be done manually.

While it doesn't take long, it of course adds to what we need to do every day, and sometimes it will be a bit later than others etc.

Worth it, or just possibly confusing (if we post late and it goes to the previous days reports..)?

• SnowJapan Admin

Well we'd only be doing it once a day and I presume when we make the post in the Daily Reports section of the Forums, so a date stamp rather than a time stamp?

Wow. That is awesome. More work for you guys than I thought it would be (sorry about that ;) ). I'll definitely make good use of it and I hope others will too. I really enjoy reading about each of the resorts each day. It also helps a bit for those who are interested in seeing how different weather patterns effect different areas.

As always, thanks for all of the effort you are putting into this.

Here's another suggestion for ya... put a little 'donate' button at the top with a link to your paypal account ;)

• SnowJapan Admin

OK I have changed it to Monday's reports.

We will change it every day.

That seems best, perhaps.

But please remember this this is done manually and always after at least one report has gone up for the day.

But it also means that many of the reports from Tuesday may well be posted before we get around to changing that link and name to Tuesday's reports.

It might even be very late depending on circumstance.

So always worth looking at the Calendar as well which is updated automatically.

Make sense?

Just read my Furano and Niseko Reports LOVE IT. I read them each day then compare snow depths etc with last year. Reports this year seem a little more personable and really make you feel that the SJ report is sitting outside and bringing the resort to you. Even more super psyched about my trip with such good snow falls so far. I see that you are expecting BIG DUMPS in Niseko on Friday/Saturday :clap: . That is a nice Christmas Present for everyone from Santa !

base depth - Nozawa Onsen 80cm

Myoko Akakura 1115cm

Madarao Kogen 100

Shiga Kogen - Yakiteyama (2,300m altitude) - 50cm???

Methinks Shiga are ultra conservative in their reporting as all these places are within spitting distance & Yakoteyama is much higher.

Do you think it is deliberate? and if so why?

• SnowJapan Admin

Phew, I thought that was our reporting mistake but maybe snowjunky's. ;)

Yes I think Shiga Kogen are generally conservative in what they declare in snow depths.

And I think we often make note of that in the reports there every now and again when it gets 40cm but there's no change in snow depth!

We try to put the "official" snow depths in the report as well as try to report how much snow has fallen - or at least an observed amount.

base depth - Nozawa Onsen 80cm

Myoko Akakura 1115cm

Madarao Kogen 100

Shiga Kogen - Yakiteyama (2,300m altitude) - 50cm???

Methinks Shiga are ultra conservative in their reporting as all these places are within spitting distance & Yakoteyama is much higher.

Do you think it is deliberate? and if so why?

If it gets less precipitation it doesn't matter high the altitude is. This is exactly why I like having the reports to compare each day. Find them on a map, track the approaching storms and pretty soon you'll be able to find which places are effected by which type of weather pattern. Some of the places you pointed out aren't that close and are separated by mountain ranges and valleys.

Of course there could be differences in reporting but over the course of a season those things tend to even out.

Yes, fair comment above BM, but also I was at Shiga this year and had a few knee deep morning runs down a previously groomed course that was reported as getting 10cm overnight - go figure?

Maybe they want to discourage powder poachers?

I am not complaining of course