Always find it interesting how lift ticket prices sometimes vary a lot.

Prices seem to this year generally be in the 3,800 yen - 4,200 yen range around these parts.

Gala and Naeba go pricier at 4,500 yen.

Some go cheaper like Ludens Yuzawa at 2,500 yen and Suhara at 2,000 yen.

I'm sure that just a few years back there wasn't such a range and it was pretty much the same wherever you go.

I see Shiga Kogen have added more multiple day passes and 2 and 4 hours tickets

http://www.snowjapan...higa-kogen.html

Pretty steep at 2,800 yen for 2 hours there!

Any other interesting pricing going on?

I'm not talking about deals and discounts you can get, more the official price list.

Actually I disagree.... at least in this part of the world.

Recently there have been more variances in the lift tickets in this area.

I would bet that Suhara way back was charging pretty much the same as the Yuzawa resorts - now it is less than half.

With many resorts seeing less than 30% of the business they saw 20 years ago, especially the smaller ones are getting cheaper to try and get people to go.

I don't know about other places but here in Niigata it used to be much more same-y than it is now.

I see, well some round this area do change their prices, they seem to be a little different each year. I guess it depends on the resort / area as to how much they vary or if they always stay the same.

Even still, the ticket prices in Japan are excellent compared to other countries.

Eg. Last year in Shiga Kogen, I paid 40000Y (approx $450 at the time) for a 10day lift ticket. I paid $350 for 3 days at Mt Hotham and it didn't have anywhere near the lifts or runs that SK does.

How about a place like Yeti, in Shizuoka. If you go there on the weekend you'll pay 3800Y for a lift ticket (plus 1000Y for parking plus 500Y for a road toll) or 2800Y for weekday (no parking or road toll fee). On the weekend, for two people, a place like Yeti is more expensive than Shiga Kogen (or pretty much any single resort in Japan)... How does that make any sense at all??

I guess they have to charge the same or more because they are a small resort and can't keep in business otherwise.

It does suck though to pay the same price for a small resort with limited runs, but that is how it is!

Slight off topic diversion; I was checking out this years ticket prices and it seems I've fallen into the senior price ticket range at one resort (can't remember which one). Pleased and slightly depressed at the same time (though I do think 45 yrs is low for a senior ticket). Maybe their demographics show a decline in middle aged skiers and want to encourage 45yrs+?

I met a Japanese guy at one Tohoku resort who'd started snowboarding at 55 yrs old. So its never too late.

That does seem young!!

And yes that seems a pretty ridiculous price for a 2 and 4 hour ticket. Regardless of how much a ticket might cost overseas, Shiga Kogen are competing with the other resorts and that just sounds like a bit of a mad price.

Slight off topic diversion; I was checking out this years ticket prices and it seems I've fallen into the senior price ticket range at one resort (can't remember which one). Pleased and slightly depressed at the same time (though I do think 45 yrs is low for a senior ticket). Maybe their demographics show a decline in middle aged skiers and want to encourage 45yrs+?

I met a Japanese guy at one Tohoku resort who'd started snowboarding at 55 yrs old. So its never too late.

Edelweiss does that, starts their Senior pricing at 45 years old.

Hunter Mtn, next door to Edelweiss, used to do that (calling it "Master"), but looks like this year they have raised the threshold to 55 and renamed it "Senior."

They seem quite resistant to the idea of a half day ticket there. I remember someone from there telling me it was because Shiga Kogen wasn't really a place to do a half day. But surely that's up to the person visiting to decide. And what about days when you can have half a day on your last day and then leave etc?

I just noticed on the Shiga Kogen Now page that they have a new card system installed - you can go online and check out your stats. Good idea.