Usually I can work these things out for myself, but a little help would be appreciated. Is there a way of doing this transfer that doesn't take 6 hours and multiple changes? If not, is overnighting in Sapporo a better option?

Thanx

Catch the 16:45 train at Furano to Shintoku, change there for express Super Oozora to Minami Chitose, take shuttle train to airport. You arrive at 20:00 and can catch 20:30 airport bus to Rusutsu...in short, no it's going to be six hours & multiple changes. Bring a book! :lol:

Did the reverse trip last year.

Rusutsu>Saporro>Tomamu (for 3 day stopover).

Then took the "daytrip ski bus" Tomamu>Furano. Resort Liner ran a bus for just two of us at 2,000 yen each dropping us at the Prince hotel. We stayed at Furano half day (it wasn't good) then took the afternoon bus to Asahikawa for Kamui.

Hire a car and enjoy far more of Hokkaido, from Furano there is so much more to see. You can also easily do a day trip to Tommamu or Sahoro. I even found a frozen lake with an ice bar like no other in that area, no idea where it was I followed a phone number on my GPS to get there.

I would suggest hiring a car and take Hokkaido at your own leisurreely pace. No timetables to keep to, no destinations defined. Just go at it at your own pace anywhere you like.

Yep that is what we are doing this year. May see more of Hokkaido than planned with Mr Snowhunter driving. WE ALL KNOW WHAT MEAN ARE LIKE WHEN THEY GET LOST!!! :stir: :clap:

Men DON'T get lost!

We may occasionally decide to take the road less-traveled or a more scenic path; we may decide on a flexible approach to travel; we may seek out the unknown adventure.

But we DON'T get lost! :lies:

I would suggest hiring a car and take Hokkaido at your own leisurreely pace. No timetables to keep to, no destinations defined. Just go at it at your own pace anywhere you like.

Yep that is what we are doing this year. May see more of Hokkaido than planned with Mr Snowhunter driving. WE ALL KNOW WHAT MEAN ARE LIKE WHEN THEY GET LOST!!! :stir: :clap:

Get some snow driving tips. Lookup thread.