• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the sake of Fukushima, let's hope it works better for them than Liverpool FC!

Well, the highways did close over night, but re-opened just in time to get to Adatara Kogen yesterday.

The pacific side of the Ban-Etsu does not usually get much snow (which is perhaps why it is closed so easily when it does get some); the trees were sporting a fresh dusting:

gallery_10844_112_12905.jpg

gallery_10844_112_108983.jpg

Dake Onsen:

gallery_10844_112_140184.jpg

Adatara Kogen Rest House:

gallery_10844_112_61302.jpg

Gamba-ppe!

日本語は難しいですね!

;)

The expression has become particularly well-known in the context of disaster recovery.

Examples:

sitelogo.gif

header_logo.jpg

ganbappe.gif

logo.png

gambappe_shadow_large_rgb.gif?height=200&width=200

m_20110329-072359-1-L.jpg

p1m.jpg

Other local expressions have also been used, particularly further north where the dialect changes.

A bit hard to say, cal. Nobody's down 90% or anything like that, but newspaper reports indicate places are down from 10% to 50% or more, depending on the place, which is hard for a visitor to really calibrate. Would really need to see the receipts. I can only go on weekends, and nowhere has been a ghost town. Not much crowding of lift lines, either, but then that has never been a big problem in previous years, either. (One of the reasons I like the region!)

I have seen some subtle, and not-so-subtle, signs of hardship (cancellation of nighters, hotels closing completely or part-time, idled lifts, difficulty in areas retaining ski instructors due to lack of demand, and general reduction and consolidation of services), but I think we will have to really wait until the end of the season to see some final statistics reported. (And some places just won't report, I suspect.)

One thing I have noticed, and I am not sure if this is a new thing this year, but the license plates of the cars in the parking lots and on the highways are overwhelmingly from Ibaraki or Fukushima, with only a smattering of other places represented. Of course, other neighboring prefectures have their own ski areas to support, but the impression I get is that not many people are going from Tokyo, say. Which means that hotels are probably suffering more than ski areas, even. (A day-tripper from Ibaraki or Fukushima does not need a hotel, obviously, just a lift ticket.) This may actually be a general trend in the Tohoku area this year, from previous news reports.

A bit hard to say, cal. Nobody's down 90% or anything like that, but newspaper reports indicate places are down from 10% to 50% or more, depending on the place, which is hard for a visitor to really calibrate. Would really need to see the receipts. I can only go on weekends, and nowhere has been a ghost town. Not much crowding of lift lines, either, but then that has never been a big problem in previous years, either. (One of the reasons I like the region!)

I have seen some subtle, and not-so-subtle, signs of hardship (cancellation of nighters, hotels closing completely or part-time, idled lifts, difficulty in areas retaining ski instructors due to lack of demand, and general reduction and consolidation of services), but I think we will have to really wait until the end of the season to see some final statistics reported. (And some places just won't report, I suspect.)

One thing I have noticed, and I am not sure if this is a new thing this year, but the license plates of the cars in the parking lots and on the highways are overwhelmingly from Ibaraki or Fukushima, with only a smattering of other places represented. Of course, other neighboring prefectures have their own ski areas to support, but the impression I get is that not many people are going from Tokyo, say. Which means that hotels are probably suffering more than ski areas, even. (A day-tripper from Ibaraki or Fukushima does not need a hotel, obviously, just a lift ticket.) This may actually be a general trend in the Tohoku area this year, from previous news reports.

Sad to hear but I guess not totally unexpected. Metabo, I'm still holding out hope of hitting up Fukushima this month and am tentatively thinking of Sat 24th if you were thinking of going to Grandeco that day??

I reckon it's good for us all in Japan, Sheldon, so there is an element of self-interest involved.

And it's where I would have done much of my skiing anyway, so not like it is a sacrifice or anything.

Back of Mt. Bandai, seen from Grandeco ski area on 2012.3.11:

gallery_10844_112_23425.jpg

Lake Inawashiro, likewise:

gallery_10844_112_58454.jpg

Some information on closings:

Alts Bandai closed for the season on 3/18.

Inawashiro's last day will be this Sunday, 3/25.

Adatara Kogen will be open until 4/1, weekends only.

Inawashiro Resort will operate until 4/8.

Numajiri will go "until the snow is gone" in April.

Nekoma and Grandeco will go until Golden Week.

Interesting about Alts for sure.

Whats going on there?

I was speaking to a friend here and they said that a ton of staff had been cut as well.

They seem to be going to cut down route rather than the all out gambaru one.