Well today a lot of us were getting after the new snow in Utah and there was a lot of complacency. Everyone (myself included) seemed to think that since we didn't have much of a base for big avys to happen. Our group was wrong, and most everyone was wrong. Due to major windloading and a terrible first crust layer, we had some of the most slippery terrain I've seen.

Today Jamie was skiing close to us when he set off a slide that carried him over a long pitch of rocks and some cliffs. Over 15 different sizable avalanches were reported today and others left people injured and humbled. Hopefully we can all take a lesson and be humbled out of complacency. I know I sure have.

RIP to a good guy that did a lot for the sport. Not to mention a pretty funny person in general. Utah lost a local hero today, sad news. Hopefully it serves as a warning to everyone that serious things can happen no matter the time of year.

http://utahavalanche...valley_11132011

Is this bit accurate MitchPee?

While neither had any rescue gear or formal avalanche training, they were both expert skiers and new the terrain well.

I didn't know Jamie other than a couple times skiing, but I would have to say he has some sort of training. He was a professional skier and spent 99% of his time in the mountains. They probably didn't have rescue gear, but I am sure he had avalanche training.