Solo snowboarder to Japan - anyone have any tips?

When are you planning on going? I will be in Japan with a bunch of other australians in feb and march 2012. I'll be jumping between all the different places

not sure when i will be going as yet but i think around that time! have you booked your flights etc?

Yep flights are booked. We leave Perth on Sat Feb 11th and return on Sat March 10th. We start in Niseko for pow pow, then a week in tokyo for touristy stuff, then a week in Myoko for pow pow, and a week in Hakuba for pow pow.

i love saying pow.

pow pow.

I also like saying 'smashing', and 'bollocks' as well. Got the England accent so I can get away with it. ;)

Ahh to have an 'England' accent. ;)

If you're a Sloane (posh, chin-missing, inbred aristocrat-wannabe from SW London) 'smashing' makes you sound like a ponce, but if you're a Geordie (from Newcastle, NE England) it sounds ok. Again a Cockney (East London) bollocks is probably better than a West Country (Bristol/Sommerset) version. What are you?

• Like 1

Aren't the flights from Narita to Sapporo very few and far between?? I've heard time and time again about people having to take a bus from Narita to Haneda in order to make the last leg to Sapporo. Has that changed?

No, that has not changed.

I think there is one flight a day from Narita, and it books up fast.

This is the reason why I usually prefer to do my stop over in Tokyo FIRST. Upon arrival.

There is no issue about missing the connecting flight (recalling a flight Perth to Tokyo that went via Manila for a medical emergency offload that left one of our own having to transfer to Haneda and juggle flights for his family despite paying a fair whack extra for the convenience of the direct connection.). The delay for me simply meant checking in at our hotel a little later than expected.

It gives time to catch up on cruddy plane sleep hours, and you can duck out to buy new snow gear if you need/want/wish.

I also like saying 'smashing', and 'bollocks' as well. Got the England accent so I can get away with it. ;)

Ahh to have an 'England' accent. ;)

If you're a Sloane (posh, chin-missing, inbred aristocrat-wannabe from SW London) 'smashing' makes you sound like a ponce, but if you're a Geordie (from Newcastle, NE England) it sounds ok. Again a Cockney (East London) bollocks is probably better than a West Country (Bristol/Sommerset) version. What are you?

A bit non-descript really, no strong influences.

Does it count if I can "do" all the accents?

I grew up surrounded by London, Edinburgh and Cork accents, and my instinctive (and trained) tendency to 'match' people lingustically means I tend to pick up the accents of whoever I am speaking with.

It's bloody embaressing sometimes.

Does it count if I can "do" all the accents?

I grew up surrounded by London, Edinburgh and Cork accents, and my instinctive (and trained) tendency to 'match' people lingustically means I tend to pick up the accents of whoever I am speaking with.

It's bloody embaressing sometimes.

MB....he said "English" accents :naughty:

;)

Yeah yeah...

I can do a "fookin" fantastic Geordie accent, and me Cockney aint too sorry and sad neither ;)

But the flexibility is a result of being surrounded by all those different accents.

Doesn't help my Japanese though - still suck the royal big one with Nihongo ;)

One of my good friends is a Scouser so yeah - but Manc....I think I would need to be in the same room for about 15 or 20 minutes, then probably.

I actually have to focus to keep the Aussie accent. It is really silly.

haha you are like my mate Tommy.....Canadian guy who sounds like he's from anywhere but the Great White North.......depending on who is in the group he can flip from Scouse to Manc to Northern Irish to Scots.....a very confused individual. His sister is over here too and she sounds Canadian....its very funny

One of my good friends is a Scouser so yeah - but Manc....I think I would need to be in the same room for about 15 or 20 minutes, then probably.

I actually have to focus to keep the Aussie accent. It is really silly.

Pick up a thick accent in 15-20 minutes?!

Wow. I still can't do scouse and I come from very close-by (but oh so far!)

You should be on telly Mamabear!

Nah. I actually try hard NOT to do it.

Sometimes it is funny - with good friends over a few (or lots of) drinks.

But it is mostly just embarressing. "Accent Osmosis" is not all that understood.

And I am not in control, I can't flip it at will, it flips itself when I am with people with that accent.

Because I make such an effort not to do it the usual feeling people get is that they can't place my accent. Aussie, but not.. somehow...

See why I prefer to SIGN! :party:

• 1 month later...

Finally figured out when I'm going to Japan! All booked in... Going on the 24th of February. A few nights in Tokyo and then Monday 27th I'll be in Hakuba for 5 nights. I'm still travelling solo, so if anyone wants to come meet me on the slopes or for a bevvie please let me know.

Also, does anyone recommend a good, fun, cheapish and centrally located hostel, lodge in Tokyo?

Lidsli

Also, does anyone recommend a good, fun, cheapish and centrally located hostel, lodge in Tokyo?

Lidsli

This place is not really central, but it is cheap.

http://www.newkoyo.com/

I stayed here about ten years ago and really liked it, mainly because it had no curfew. In Japan backpackers/hostels tend to have a very early curfew.

This place in a Hatagaya is a bit more central.

http://www.sakura-hotel-hatagaya.com/rooms.php

This place as well is not too bad and it is in Ikebukuro, so it is on the very easy to understand Yamanote line. I stayed here many moons ago and I did enjoy it.

http://www.kimiryokan.jp/location.html

I have listed cheap places that have English speaking staff. If you can speak Japanese then really I would suggest staying in a capsule hotel. When I am in Tokyo for a couple of nights I always stay in capsules. Obviously if you have a budget that can allow you to spend 10,000 yen a night then there are a heap of business hotels near various stations that you could easily afford with most staff being able to speak English.

Solo is no problem. Nagano is very safe and you will make friends to ride with straight away. I recommend you book into one of the many foreigner-owned pensions in Hakuba. Enjoy!