Get 5000 yen to fly from Matsumoto airport

Matsumoto city is giving away 5000 yen to fly from Matsumoto airport to any destination of your choice, offer limited to first 600 applicants and a minimum of 2 people per trip. The airport has flights to Fukuoka and Sapporo.

I highly recommend the northerly direction, if only to enjoy great views of the Japanese Alps (get a seat on the left-hand side of the plane) and a warm welcome from the staff of this very small airport.

gallery_9520_30_89257.jpg

Hmmmm...Tokyo-Matsumoto return is 12,400 on JR, + 40,000 Sapporo return, + whatever it costs station-airport return -- even before a few beers to make the three-hour train trip (each way) palatable that's gonna add up to some expensive mountain-viewing, even with the 5k rebate. :sadface:

probably more useful if you live near Matsumoto. I use to be 20 mins walk from the airport and I walked from my house to get to Sapporo, sending the luggage via takubin. But that was one-way; on the way back I hitchhiked to Otaru and took an 18 hour ferry to Niigata, then a 9 hour local train to Matsumoto for 190 yen.

probably more useful if you live near Matsumoto. I use to be 20 mins walk from the airport and I walked from my house to get to Sapporo, sending the luggage via takubin. But that was one-way; on the way back I hitchhiked to Otaru and took an 18 hour ferry to Niigata, then a 9 hour local train to Matsumoto for 190 yen.

A return trip even if you live in Matsumoto (which i do) still seems expensive to me. But Ive only ever flown on the old ichi-man birthday tickets in Japan that i think no longer exists which is a real shame. :sadface:

Im impressed tripler with your return trip though! 9hrs on a local train, that is something i def couldnt do! Nice effort.

Where are you skiing/boarding this season btw??

Still living in matsumoto?

Im impressed tripler with your return trip though! 9hrs on a local train, that is something i def couldnt do! Nice effort.

It was ok till the happoshu ran out and I couldn't leave the station at the changes to find a supermarket because I only had a 190 yen ticket and didn't want to pay the rip-off station combini prices. Nice scenery where the train runs right next to the sea, through tiny little stations. You miss all that on a shink.

I'm a little north of Matsumoto now, not far. My PMs don't work but if you want to chat offline, email roquet34 AT tesco.net

I remember them, I didn't use em though :doh: Think it was fly anywhere in Japan on yor birthday for 10,000 yen.....I think it was return.

Yeah thats right apart from that they were single tickets for ichi-man. Still they were an absolute bargain plus the fact you could take 3 friends on the same deal.

Used them on a couple of trips to Sapporo and Okinawa. A shame they are no more.....

I think both JAL and ANA did it. The campaigns ran for several years. At one point it was two weeks either side of your birthday.

You can get packages now that are for up to seven days but only include one night's accom for 25000 or so, so its pretty much the same deal.

Have a look at Yahoo Travel etc.

If you've got a car, an ANA credit card will get you a free return flight in a couple of years if you put everything on it.